• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Whits End

I recently was sent a small CF tank for use with my new air rifle. Unfortunately the vendor had sent a scuba valve instead of a valve for a paintball place and needed to forward me a new one. I received the new valve today and was happy... until I went to the paintball place and they refused to fill it.

Their reasoning for rejecting the tank valve system was because the valve assembly was not permanently attached to the tank..... they said that the tank was dangerous and should not be used. Now, the question is, other than just screwing the valve assembly onto the CF tank by hand, is there anything else that needs to be done? 

Do you need to use locktite?

Do you need to gorilla tighten the valve assembly to the tank with a wrench?

I respected their opinion and left the shop, but now I am wondering what they are worried about. If the valve assembly becomes loose, it's just going to leak air until there is none left inside. It's not that there is going to be a huge explosion of air.

This whole thing has been an absolute mess. I have one other paintball shop nearby and I don't want to be rejected by these guys as well.... because the next closest place is 45 minutes away.

1596649038_19262755165f2aee4e066c11.00805641.jpeg

Other than screwing the top valve system (silver bit on top of the tank) to the carbon fiber tank, is there anything else you need to do.

use locktite?

use a wrench?

The paintball place told me to buzz off because it was too dangerous. They were scared everything was going to come apart and kill someone?

If that place is your best fill source, I'd ask them to be more specific. Or go to the other place and ask them if they have a problem with the set up. Not familiar with that valve but it 'looks' better than many PB tank setups I've seen.

Only thing I'd add is the fill nipple seems to show unthreaded threads (if that makes sense) and the plumbers thread tape, while often used, isn't rated for these pressures. 

I can't imagine what locktight would change or what permanently attached means in this instance, they are all screwed together. Many PB shops only fill air to 3000 PSI and are usually dealing with smallish steel tanks that attach directly to the gun. They may not not know what you have.

I may have one more place available, but they are not open for a few more hours. Their heads exploded when I handed over the tank and they unscrewed the valve assembly. If they reject the tank I'm out of luck and have to go 45 minutes to the airgun place.

They were also scared it was going to come loose and injure someone. The threads are really long. If the threads come loose then the air is going to leak out and there isn't an issue.

Funny thing is, I would bet against my house that you probably want the joist hand tight. If you were to over tighten then I'm guessing damaging the threads is a real possibility as the threads are aluminum.

The people in that shop are morons. How can a tank ever be hydro tested if the valve isn't removable? Every firefighter SCBA tank, every scuba tank, and every carbon fiber tank used by paintballers have removable valves. That Omega valve on your tank could only be damaged by cross threading and even that would be difficult to do unless someone is grossly negligent. Over tightening the threads will not damage them but will make the owner wish he hadn't the next time he needs to remove the valve. The valve only needs to be hand tight as it seals on the o-ring at the junction of the valve and the tank neck.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

So what make the actual seal between the two There is an O ring around the neck between the valve and the tank, but if that is hand tight, then how can it resist the 4,500 psi pressure? Does it have to do with the pressure inside the tank somehow?

If a tank has pressure inside the valve does not loosen because it's under pressure. The o-ring is pushed outward by air pressure and flattens slightly to create a leak proof seal.

The people in that shop are morons. How can a tank ever be hydro tested if the valve isn't removable? Every firefighter SCBA tank, every scuba tank, and every carbon fiber tank used by paintballers have removable valves. That Omega valve on your tank could only be damaged by cross threading and even that would be difficult to do unless someone is grossly negligent. Over tightening the threads will not damage them but will make the owner wish he hadn't the next time he needs to remove the valve. The valve only needs to be hand tight as it seals on the o-ring at the junction of the valve and the tank neck.

Totally agree

So, the other paintball place will only fill to 3,000 psi.

I am probably just going to throw everything away. F AoA F this sport

There are many solutions, I wouldn’t give up on it just because an idiot or two exist in the world. Airguns of Arizona has always gone above and beyond in providing me and everyone I know exceptional service, and I am sure that they want you to be thrilled about the sport. Sorry about your bad experience with a filler, but that isn’t AoA’s fault.

No, AoA's fault is selling a hand pump which I had purchased and paid for to someone else while I was waiting for a gun which their website said was in stock to be in stock. That right there is AoA's fault. They can't claim that I didn't pay for it because my credit card was charged for the whole order 2 weeks prior to my delivery. So essentially they sold one hand pump to two people.... and gave me the shaft.

As far as I am concerned this whole ordeal has been a cluster F at the hands of AoA. Why Daystate gives them exclusive rights to their guns is beyond me.

1596649038_19262755165f2aee4e066c11.00805641.jpeg

Other than screwing the top valve system (silver bit on top of the tank) to the carbon fiber tank, is there anything else you need to do.

use locktite?

use a wrench?

The paintball place told me to buzz off because it was too dangerous. They were scared everything was going to come apart and kill someone?

That looks like a very legitimate assembly. I can't imagine why they hesitated to fill it. Idiots I guess but that don't help I know. You never know who your going to run into at a fill shop. I feel bad that you cant shoot your brand new gun though. If Ican do anything to help let me know. 

The tank is a loaner from AoA due to their ness up with a pump I ordered. The tank has to go back to them.... so in the end it cost me nothing, in the end I gained nothing as I can’t get the tank charged. I email them today asking for a return slip but they didn’t respond to my email.... but I’m guessing I may just pay myself to send it back to them.... no since in keeping it here taking up space and I was this aggravation out if my life.

2 steps forward then Take 2 steps back and chillax have a beer or some legal recreational weed for a day then come back with a clear head. No need to spend money and patience is a virtue be an understanding good customer and I promise AoA will take good care of you. Opposites do attract...

https://youtu.be/xweiQukBM_k

No one else at the fill shop you could speak with? Whomever gave you that "permanently attached" bs should not be working at a place that deals with HP air equipment! That answer is wrong on so many levels & that false information should not be disseminated to customers. I feel for you & your extreme level of frustration. If, by any chance, you're in the Southern California area I'd be happy to A) fill your tank for you or B) loan you an SCBA tank till you get squared away. Let me know if I can help. 

There were 2 people at the paintball place where I tried to get it filled. I am guessing one was a worker and another who I am guessing was the owner as he was asking a police officer customer a bunch or questions (the officer left before I was helped). The both looked at the tank, the worker asked if it was for a PCP to which I responded yes. Then he said made the comment about the valve system not being attached at it possibly exploding everywhere. Then he looked at the "owner" who said no and they handed it back to me saying something in regards to "this can kill someone".

Basically, the place I had called to get approval for a fill, and I was hanging my had on said no. The second place said only 3,000 psi on the phone.

My last resort is to drive about 40-45 minutes to a store that specializes in airguns. They said they can fill it.... but it might have to be there overnight as it's a new fill and needs to cool down in order to get a complete fill. They are only open late in the day and on weekends, so this is a tomorrow project. If this place doesn't fill it no one will (I am 99.9999999999999999999% sure they will be able to service me).