Whitetail Spike Taken Christmas Eve 2023 With Benjamin Bulldog M357

Didn’t come out perfect, but they actually tasted good. I didn’t them soak in buttermilk or anything. There is no “gamey” flavor. I’m not sure I even know what that means. These are deer steaks (cut from the ham) pan cooked in butter and onion.

IMG_4241.jpeg

The before:
IMG_4242.jpeg

During:
IMG_4243.jpeg

After:
IMG_4239.jpeg

And this concludes my Christmas Eve Whitetail Spike thread.

Last edited:
Didn’t come out perfect, but they actually tasted good. I didn’t them soak in buttermilk or anything. There is no “gamey” flavor. I’m not sure I even know what that means. These are deer steaks (cut from the ham) pan cooked in butter and onion.

View attachment 423220

The before:
View attachment 423219

During:
View attachment 423221

After:
View attachment 423222

And this concludes my Christmas Eve Whitetail Spike thread.
Those are good looking steaks brother, don't know if you've tried this or not I soak mine over night with a little salt in water and then salt and pepper dip in egg and cover them with Panko crumbs and fry in crisco makes for some mighty fine eating.

nice... great work.. happy to see some more deer pics on here...
@Cheplicki Hey thanks man. I learned a good amount from you.

Those are good looking steaks brother, don't know if you've tried this or not I soak mine over night with a little salt in water and then salt and pepper dip in egg and cover them with Panko crumbs and fry in crisco makes for some mighty fine eating.

@Bowhunter73 Thanks. I haven't tried cooking deer that way. Why do you soak it overnight in lightly salted water? There are plenty of recipes I haven't tried. I'd like to learn to make other deer meat products for myself.

@Shahrilstephen Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shahrilstephen

@Bowhunter73 Thanks. I haven't tried cooking deer that way. Why do you soak it overnight in lightly salted water? There are plenty of recipes I haven't tried. I'd like to learn to make other deer meat products for myself.

I posted a video showing how I like to Cook it ... I never soak the meat in water unless I don't plan on eating it right away..

Reactions: Gumby31

I soak them in the salted water to help pull the blood out, don't know that it's necessary but something I've always done before cooking.

Ezana4CE
I would suggest when the chance arises you do both. Soak some in salt water or milk overnight in the icebox. Don't do anything to the other. What most refer to as gamey flavor is blood. Soaking helps to remove from the meat. You will clearly see that in what ever you soak the meat in. Do that simple experiment and decide for yourself which you prefer. Just remember to rinse well any meat you soaked. It's very easy to overcook venison steaks. That will result in tougher more gamey meat regardless of how you prepared it.
When frying , bread 1st, then egg wash then rebread. If you do egg 1st, all your breading will fall off in the pan. Again easy enough to test both ways then you will know. Good luck and enjoy your steaks.

I soak them in the salted water to help pull the blood out, don't know that it's necessary but something I've always done before cooking.
@Bowhunter73 I let the meat sit on ice for a couple of days before butchering. A decent amount of blood came out in that process.

@tunzuf I've read of people hanging the meat for several days and placing the meat on ice with salt to draw more blood out. I am not too familiar with such practices. Hanging a carcass or quarters for an extended period isn't feasible here unless you have a very large or walk-in refrigerator. We don't tend to have consistently cold weather here. It was 60F the night I skinned and quartered this deer. As for the blood taste, this is what I am familiar with. I don't eat commercially farmed meat. Therefore I have nothing to compare the flavor of natural meat to. I do appreciate the suggestions.

@beerthief Yes, a spike is a young buck with unbranched antlers (no additional tines on the antlers).

@Bowhunter73 I let the meat sit on ice for a couple of days before butchering. A decent amount of blood came out in that process.

@tunzuf I've read of people hanging the meat for several days and placing the meat on ice with salt to draw more blood out. I am not too familiar with such practices. Hanging a carcass or quarters for an extended period isn't feasible here unless you have a very large or walk-in refrigerator. We don't tend to have consistently cold weather here. It was 60F the night I skinned and quartered this deer. As for the blood taste, this is what I am familiar with. I don't eat commercially farmed meat. Therefore I have nothing to compare the flavor of natural meat to. I do appreciate the suggestions.

@beerthief Yes, a spike is a young buck with unbranched antlers (no additional tines on the antlers).
I usually put mine on ice for a couple of days before cutting it up, I just got in the habit of soaking over night but that's just me.

I process on average 13 -20 a year. (deer). I salt bath 3-5 days.depending on the Rut and death. How I do it. I remove all the bones.Everything sized for the grinder. The roast and backstraps remove all non wanted tendons silver skin.. The salt water gets changed EVERY day. I have a back bar cooler now.... but used to use cooler and Ice. Change the salt water daly add Ice. The back bar cooler makes things a lot easier now that I do Quite a few for friends also. I don't buy ice any more. I use about a 1/4 - 1/3 of salt per soak.(of the container). I dump the water rinse the meet until water runs clear add salt refill container just above the meat. Then do it again the next day. It is easy.and the meat is sooooo much better. Been doing this 10+ years now..I also Do not buy meat at the store. I have tried the Dry Age thing I didn't notice any real difference Than regular processing.
Just incase you are wondering TN is 2 bucks season and 3 doe a Day.....Not a typo yes 3 Doe a Day.

Mannnnn that sounds delicious! Gonna try it out one of this days

Reactions: Bowhunter73