White squirrels

• Thread starter Deleted member 46449
  • Start date
While I have 2 dogs and a cat of my own, I make sure they are always on my property or leashed. It is the owners responsibility to have accountability for their animals, and if they don’t, someone has to.

That's it in a nutshell. I have several neighbors that own dogs and/or cats. The vast majority are responsible residents. I see them walking their dogs on leashes. I actually have one neighbor from about a block away that walks her cat on a leash. I guess I have to wonder why all those folks can manage to own a pet and be responsible doing it, but then there is a group of people that believe they have the right to allow their pets to roam anywhere, anytime they choose with no regard to other residents' rights.

And, the bottom line is that those free roaming pets are killing white squirrels, which are protected by ordinance. So, those pet owners are violating two ordinances. Like a few other guys have noted, if no one else is going to act to protect my property, I believe it falls into my hands to do so. It really is quite simple. If you choose to to allow your pet to roam freely, destroying the property of others, you should be prepared to accept the consequences of your actions. Period.

I previously stated that I own a Chihuahua. She NEVER leaves my yard. I trained her to know the confines of our yard and to not leave it. She is spayed and micro chipped. She routinely receives all her shots and other medications to keep her healthy and other pets safe. I just don't understand why I can mange to do that, but other residents can manage none of it, especially keeping their pets on their property. I must be an exceptional individual. :rolleyes:

Reactions: trent.sears
Sorry, not a threat, just how I feel after reading your diatribe.

"Diatribe"? Seriously? Could you please explain how my post was, "a forceful and bitter verbal attack against someone or something"? I fail to see where I posed a "forceful and bitter verbal attack" against you in my post. I guess my definition of diatribe is slightly different from yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve, many of these people have never lived outside a city and it shows.

Growing up I live many many miles from the closest town. We would regularly get city folks coming down the roads dropping off pets they didn't want. Have made more than a few of them upset when as they were driving off there little fluffy popped and hit the ground. Sorry but if you can't control your animals other will. My yard is my yard, and if I see fit to keep my pets in my yard then you should do the same with yours. I have dusted many MANY cats and it honestly doesn't phase me in the slightest anymore. Have done cat removal from farm steads that have hundreds of them roaming around.

Now back on topic! Isn't there anything you can do with say some trail cameras to help and protect these squirrels? Seems like someone would have a tough time trying to explain if you hit one with your car you get fined, but if you let your cat out and it kills one you don't. Seems like there is a fight there. Would be worth brining up at a city council meeting where everyone is watching to get an opinion.

Wish we had them up here in ND. Would be fun watching them

Steve, many of these people have never lived outside a city and it shows.

Growing up I live many many miles from the closest town. We would regularly get city folks coming down the roads dropping off pets they didn't want. Have made more than a few of them upset when as they were driving off there little fluffy popped and hit the ground. Sorry but if you can't control your animals other will. My yard is my yard, and if I see fit to keep my pets in my yard then you should do the same with yours. I have dusted many MANY cats and it honestly doesn't phase me in the slightest anymore. Have done cat removal from farm steads that have hundreds of them roaming around.

Now back on topic! Isn't there anything you can do with say some trail cameras to help and protect these squirrels? Seems like someone would have a tough time trying to explain if you hit one with your car you get fined, but if you let your cat out and it kills one you don't. Seems like there is a fight there. Would be worth brining up at a city council meeting where everyone is watching to get an opinion.

Wish we had them up here in ND. Would be fun watching them

Yep. I was a country boy myself except for a very few times I lived inside city limits, and those times were brief, and few and far between. Having reached a point that I really need to be in the city is something I'm trying very hard to adjust to. I still sit straight up in bed when a car goes by with loud mufflers or loud music blaring. It's different, for sure. One of the things I did when we were doing the remodeling before moving in was to go around and introduce myself to every nearby neighbor. For the most part, I have an excellent neighborhood. I like all the neighbors except the ones that threatened me over their stupid cats. I also have gone around and volunteered my services to perform maintenance on their small engine equipment to include sharpening their mower blades. I was surprised when one of them came to the house and asked for help. She was the last person I would have thought would ask. Now, we're pretty friendly and all it took was a few simple adjustments to her pressure washer. Took me all of about 15 minutes of my time and I believe I now have a new friend for life. THAT, is how I was raised and how I live my life. I can't imagine not offering help to someone that needs it.

Funny you should ask about trail cameras. One of my neighbors that lives two house to my north is an avid hunter and trapper. He volunteers his time and effort to trap raccoons, possums, and skunks for pretty much anybody that asks him for help. He is also a true friend of the white squirrels and has an elaborate system of feeders of every kind for squirrels. He has two white squirrels living in his backyard. He noticed a particular cat slinking around in his backyard, near his feeders. He asked our local animal control to step in and they said they didn't have time to worry about feral cats. Seriously. He, a few other guys I spoke with, and I have all been told exactly that. They say they can't be bothered with trying to trap the feral cats in this town. Anyway, since he is such an avid hunter, he has a few trail cams. He set them up and captured 3 or 4 cats in his backyard and a couple of the photos clearly showed the cats stalking squirrels and birds in his backyard. He went to the city council and they basically told him exactly what animal control told him, that they didn't have time to worry about cats roaming wild. He then proceeded to trap and dispose of any cat that entered his yard. I support him 100%.

I'm in contact with one of the council members and I have been asked to attend a couple of upcoming council meetings. I'm going to ask the council why we bother having ordinances that are NOT enforced. I'm also going to make it clear that if the city refuses to act on the unbelievable number of cats running free in this city, then they are leaving it to the citizens to act as they see fit. I know that will absolutely enrage a percentage of residents, but it's as true a statement as can be made. This council member I am in contact with happens to live less than a block from me. When I mentioned that an airgun "could be" used to rid the city of some of the cats, the reply I got kind of startled me. Instead of being told I should not even consider such a thing, I was told to be sure to rid the city of one particular cat. Seems that cat makes regular visits to her backyard and she is the person that rehabilitates injured white squirrels and raises abandoned young.

And yes, it's rather relaxing to sit on my enclosed patio and watch the little rascals feed and play. As long as you don't try to approach them, they aren't especially afraid of humans being nearby. I haven't tried, but I know of a couple of people that have managed to get either a white squirrel or a gray to feed out of their hands. That takes a lot of time and commitment. I'm satisfied just watching their antics.

• Haha
Reactions: woogie_man
I haven't tried, but I know of a couple of people that have managed to get either a white squirrel or a gray to feed out of their hands. That takes a lot of time and commitment. I'm satisfied just watching their antics.
Funny you say that, the one white squirrel I've seen, it amazed me so much I tried to feed him/her by hand and when it snatched the food (can't remember what it was) from my fingers I felt it scratched or bite me on the finger not bad but I felt something. The wife was not happy she made a big deal over it saying "I told you not to feed it, that it would bite you" she was concerned I would get an infection of some type. I cleaned up that tiny little scratch put a bandaid on it and here I am 25 years later :) .

"Diatribe"? Seriously? Could you please explain how my post was, "a forceful and bitter verbal attack against someone or something"? I fail to see where I posed a "forceful and bitter verbal attack" against you in my post. I guess my definition of diatribe is slightly different from you'r's.
See the quote above... fixed it for you too.

Yes, another diatribe. I'm done with you.

WOW! I guess I have found one of the trouble making trolls that seem to darken the mood on every forum in existence. So, you dislike madeintheuk and I both for simply wanting to protect our property. I can see where someone like you would feel that way. You obviously know a whole lot more than others on this forum. You also seem to think your rights prevail over everyone else's. Your friends and neighbors must be overwhelmingly impressed with you and your opinions.

I really want to thank you for correcting my grievous typing error. I'm sure no one else would have understood my post if you hadn't made sure to point it out. Perhaps you would like to clarify this from one of your posts: "Most pet cats simply don't understand even the rodents as food". I think maybe that is a bit more difficult to understand than my simply missing a key while typing the word, "yours".

Since you seem to do nothing but attack others who express their opinions and beliefs, I believe I'll just make you the first member I have to ignore on this forum. It's really sad to see that your kind of person has to exist on here.

In the future, I'd really appreciate it if you just refrained from posting on any of my threads. I joined this forum for advice on airguns and to make new Internet friends. You have neither to offer. That being the case, just stay away from my posts.

Reactions: trent.sears
Funny you say that, the one white squirrel I've seen, it amazed me so much I tried to feed him/her by hand and when it snatched the food (can't remember what it was) from my fingers I felt it scratched or bite me on the finger not bad but I felt something. The wife was not happy she made a big deal over it saying "I told you not to feed it, that it would bite you" she was concerned I would get an infection of some type. I cleaned up that tiny little scratch put a bandaid on it and here I am 25 years later :) .

I'm not 100% sure, but unless the critter was rabid, doing exactly what you did should have sufficed. I've been bitten and scratched by dogs, cats, and domestic rabbits. None of the bites or scratches was serious and I was sure to wash the area with soap and then apply either first aid cream or good, old, Merthiolate. Never had a problem.

I'm not sure I have the patience to "train" a squirrel to feed from my hand. I know there are a lot of these city squirrels that aren't in the least concerned with humans unless you get too close. I suspect it wouldn't be a major chore to get one to eat from my hand, but I don't know if I'd do it. Maybe it's that lazy streak I have. LOL!

I'm not 100% sure, but unless the critter was rabid, doing exactly what you did should have sufficed. I've been bitten and scratched by dogs, cats, and domestic rabbits. None of the bites or scratches was serious and I was sure to wash the area with soap and then apply either first aid cream or good, old, Merthiolate. Never had a problem.

I'm not sure I have the patience to "train" a squirrel to feed from my hand. I know there are a lot of these city squirrels that aren't in the least concerned with humans unless you get too close. I suspect it wouldn't be a major chore to get one to eat from my hand, but I don't know if I'd do it. Maybe it's that lazy streak I have. LOL!
The squirrel was a campground tenant so I'm sure he was use to visitors feeding him and had no fear of us animals I mean people :geek: .

WOW! I guess I have found one of the trouble making trolls that seem to darken the mood on every forum in existence. So, you dislike madeintheuk and I both for simply wanting to protect our property. I can see where someone like you would feel that way. You obviously know a whole lot more than others on this forum. You also seem to think your rights prevail over everyone else's. Your friends and neighbors must be overwhelmingly impressed with you and your opinions.

I really want to thank you for correcting my grievous typing error. I'm sure no one else would have understood my post if you hadn't made sure to point it out. Perhaps you would like to clarify this from one of your posts: "Most pet cats simply don't understand even the rodents as food". I think maybe that is a bit more difficult to understand than my simply missing a key while typing the word, "yours".

Since you seem to do nothing but attack others who express their opinions and beliefs, I believe I'll just make you the first member I have to ignore on this forum. It's really sad to see that your kind of person has to exist on here.

In the future, I'd really appreciate it if you just refrained from posting on any of my threads. I joined this forum for advice on airguns and to make new Internet friends. You have neither to offer. That being the case, just stay away from my posts.
Nope, this is an open forum and as long as you post crap, I will be there.

I feel sorry for you... and any "pets" you may claim to have.

Nope, this is an open forum and as long as you post crap, I will be there.

I feel sorry for you... and any "pets" you may claim to have.
Thanks for admitting you are nothing but a troll.

Seriously if you don't like it then don't post. People who let their pets randomly run around a neighborhood are horrible people. Take care of your own pets and stop relying on others to do it for you. There is no reason for you to be crapping on his thread. You said your peace, so feel good and just stop. Your not adding anything to the thread other than hatred and name calling.

Not sure I would want a squirrel to eat out of my hand.... seems like a good way to get bit. Even though they look all cute and cuddly they are still wild animals and who what they cary.

Long ago in high school a friend and I were hanging around in his front yard. A baby squirrel came down a tree and came right over to us. Crawled up on my lap and curled up like a cat. Let me pet him and we got Ritz crackers and fed the little thing a bit. Probably not a good idea but that was a totally unexpected experience.

Long ago in high school a friend and I were hanging around in his front yard. A baby squirrel came down a tree and came right over to us. Crawled up on my lap and curled up like a cat. Let me pet him and we got Ritz crackers and fed the little thing a bit. Probably not a good idea but that was a totally unexpected experience.

That must have been an unreal experience. It's definitely not something a fellow would ever forget. Do you recall how you felt and/or what you were thinking? I'm a long way out of high school, but if that happened to me at this age I'd be completely shocked.

Wow this thread was so interesting and then it went soar. Getting back to the OP, you have taught me something really cool today! I had no idea the tree squirrel had a Moby Dick version of itself! Poor old Ahab would have a hard time hunting him with the rules and regulations protecting them! Joking aside, I can see wanting to preserve something so cool in my neighborhood/state. If you get any more pictures please post them.

-Atlas

That must have been an unreal experience. It's definitely not something a fellow would ever forget. Do you recall how you felt and/or what you were thinking? I'm a long way out of high school, but if that happened to me at this age I'd be completely shocked.
First thoughts were is this thing gonna attack? It showed no fear at all. Once it crawled up on me I stayed still. slowly brought my hand over with no reaction. Scratched him behind the ears, no reaction. Never actually picked him up.

Wow this thread was so interesting and then it went soar. Getting back to the OP, you have taught me something really cool today! I had no idea the tree squirrel had a Moby Dick version of itself! Poor old Ahab would have a hard time hunting him with the rules and regulations protecting them! Joking aside, I can see wanting to preserve something so cool in my neighborhood/state. If you get any more pictures please post them.

-Atlas

There may very well be some new shots of the little critter. I used to be a serious amateur photographer, but when a couple of health issues raised their heads, I kind of got away from doing any shooting. I have a couple other guys wanting some more photos so I might go dig the camera out and go after some new shots. Time will tell.

I know for certain there are a few other colonies in the US of A. Brevard, NC has a well established colony, then Marionville, MO, Kenton, TN, and Exeter, Ontario Canada all have colonies of varying sizes. Brevard, Exeter, and here in Olney are the three largest and best established colonies, at least that's what I have been told and also what I find on the Internet.

There have also been spotty, but somewhat regular reports of white squirrels in the Washington DC area, Bowling Green, KY (on the campus of Western Kentucky University), Minneapolis, MN, and even downtown Boston.

Reactions: Deleted 45061
Well, I think I've heard it all now. One of our city council members sent me an email just a short while ago. I have been talking to her for the last hour. There will be a new city ordinance proposed at the council meeting Monday night. I have read the proposal and then I asked her for clarification to be sure I understood what I read. She assured me I understood it perfectly.

Here is what they are going to propose. They want to launch a "catch and release" program for the feral cats in this city. Every cat they capture will be labeled a "feral cat" regardless of owner identification on a collar or on an implanted chip. They then want to fully treat the cats with rabies vaccines, deworming, and all the other normal shots, then they will spay/neuter the cats. Then here is the kicker. They will then TURN THE CATS LOOSE WHERE THEY TRAPPED THEM. No kidding. My tax dollars will be used to fully treat and neuter every cat in this city that they can trap and then they will be released back into the city.

The total number of feral cats is a really big question. One group claims the number to be between 3,000 and 5,000. Another group claims it's nowhere near that many and there are ONLY about 2,500 running free. That's in addition to the 300 to 500 dogs roaming freely. Keep in mind we are a city of only 9,000 people.

So, here we are. A city with an ordinance that states that you can be fined $750 for ACCIDENTALLY running over one of our white squirrels. Then, we also have an ordinance on the books that specifically states that NO animal is allowed to roam freely. It specifies that cats and dogs in this city are to be kept on the owner's property or on a leash if off property. Period. There isn't a lot of gray area there. Allowing cats to be released back into the city is akin to letting those cats kill and reduce the population of white squirrels we have. Now, they want to use taxpayer dollars to trap, THEN RELEASE a few thousand cats IN DIRECT DEFIANCE of existing city ordinance.

Yeah, I think I need to attend the meeting Monday night. I might end up in the local pokey, but I'm gonna bet I get my two cents in before they drag me off. LOL!

• Wow
Reactions: pdxFrank
Well, I think I've heard it all now. One of our city council members sent me an email just a short while ago. I have been talking to her for the last hour. There will be a new city ordinance proposed at the council meeting Monday night. I have read the proposal and then I asked her for clarification to be sure I understood what I read. She assured me I understood it perfectly.

Here is what they are going to propose. They want to launch a "catch and release" program for the feral cats in this city. Every cat they capture will be labeled a "feral cat" regardless of owner identification on a collar or on an implanted chip. They then want to fully treat the cats with rabies vaccines, deworming, and all the other normal shots, then they will spay/neuter the cats. Then here is the kicker. They will then TURN THE CATS LOOSE WHERE THEY TRAPPED THEM. No kidding. My tax dollars will be used to fully treat and neuter every cat in this city that they can trap and then they will be released back into the city.

The total number of feral cats is a really big question. One group claims the number to be between 3,000 and 5,000. Another group claims it's nowhere near that many and there are ONLY about 2,500 running free. That's in addition to the 300 to 500 dogs roaming freely. Keep in mind we are a city of only 9,000 people.

So, here we are. A city with an ordinance that states that you can be fined $750 for ACCIDENTALLY running over one of our white squirrels. Then, we also have an ordinance on the books that specifically states that NO animal is allowed to roam freely. It specifies that cats and dogs in this city are to be kept on the owner's property or on a leash if off property. Period. There isn't a lot of gray area there. Allowing cats to be released back into the city is akin to letting those cats kill and reduce the population of white squirrels we have. Now, they want to use taxpayer dollars to trap, THEN RELEASE a few thousand cats IN DIRECT DEFIANCE of existing city ordinance.

Yeah, I think I need to attend the meeting Monday night. I might end up in the local pokey, but I'm gonna bet I get my two cents in before they drag me off. LOL!
Sounds like one day your City might be used as a case study on how not to handle feral cats, I mean will be used as a case study :geek: