Whiscombe owners, please help

I'm looking to borrow (I doubt there are spares) an original Whiscombe trigger guard in order to have another one custom made. 

Pics of original Whiscombe trigger guard:

4F380C87-16EC-4740-BDDD-E63D7F5E9E8F.1622230610.jpeg
50087BBF-9946-4922-8FF8-A231ED41BEF9.1622230610.jpeg

Mine has a modified Weihrauch trigger guard which does not fit precisely in the trigger guard inletting, and is secured only via one rear screw vs. the original design which used two screws (one fwd countersunk screw directly behind the tension pull weight adjustment screw- the female threads are on the actual trigger box, and the large rear screw). Additionally there is a "shelf" inletted into both sides of the trigger box opening and around the large rear screw, which it seems the original guard would secure against, thus distributing the lockdown force of the large rear screw.

The original guard may also play a role in maintaining the thin flanks of the stock clear of the action and cocking lever, which may affect consistency at the target. I've been trying hard to get accuracy out of this rifle with zen technique over the arm/knee but it continues to leave me confused as to what's going on.

HW guard:

4020A844-47E1-4F08-8F0F-5F9B7854E387.1622231045.jpeg

HW guard removed to show inletting:

C216EAAD-8EE1-44FF-979F-919BBF39E16E.1622231361.jpeg

Modified HW guard:

7BA26344-7D3D-4FCB-BBEF-E76A489D2757.1622230955.jpeg

If you can lend me your original guard I'd be extremely grateful. Maybe I'll get real lucky and find a spare original guard. This rifle really needs to have a proper fitting guard. 

Thanks,

Jonathan

You have an early "pop-up" model with the standard, three sear trigger (6oz minimum let off) from the early '90s. It may be a Frankengun as evidenced by the stock (aftermarket?) and replaced triggerguard. It should carry an engraved model number - likely a 60, 65 or 75 and serial number which could be invaluable as it was built during the period when the design was evolving. John kept meticulous records for each rifle, including the original owner and modifications made during servicing.

More information would be helpful (through stock removal) to isolate your accuracy problems. The triggerguard could be a contributing factor, but it is more likely a bedding issue. John "soft" bedded his rifles with "elastomer" strips and 70 duro O-rings so that no part of the action or barrel touched wood. Also, each muzzle brake/weight was custom sized and fitted to dampen harmonics. Prior owners could have messed up the balance.

If you would like to take a deep dive into all things Whiscombe, you may send me a PM.

JW652,

Thanks for your reply. I have read about the "soft elastomeric bushings" for the fwd stock screws but I didn't know about the 70 Duro O-rings or further bedding of the stock with strips of material. Really interesting. Would you happen to have a photo showing the inside of a stock showing these different thinngs? That'd be very useful. Curious to know the thickness of the strips and 70D O-ring specs.

Will send a PM.

Still looking for a trigger guard😉