Whiscombe Air Rifle Why?

Well-they're no longer produced for one thing. Occasionally I'll see one for sale, usually with at least a $4000 to $5000 price tag, making them rather above my pay grade. You have to find a collector willing to part with one.

You might do a Google search and find out more. I met a guy at a FT shoot who bought 5 from a collector with the understanding they had to be used in competition. He regularly shot them at Field Target matches. The repetitive motions of the cocking cycle caused him to develop some overuse injuries to his arms and I haven't seen him around for a few years. I do regret not trying one out when I had the opportunity. The dual pistons required several cocking strokes. I think Johnny piston got one not too long ago and posted about it, Ezana4's reply to your post has the links.

Only about 450 of these handmade rifles were built by John Whiscombe, over a production life of 20+ years. The heart of the design consists of opposing twin pistons - each of which contributes to the swept volume of air. The cocking system consists of an under lever (hidden within the forend of the stock) and rack and pinion type of gear system that pulls the pistons apart until they are caught by a sear link. Trigger release causes them to hurtle toward each until they are halted by a cushion of air that is exhausted by a transfer port that directs the flow to the rear of a pellet and out the barrel. The model number (ex: JW-50 - 80) denotes the length of stroke in mm and also the power produced. Part of the genius of the system is in the timing which allows the pistons to complete their stroke at different power levels without smashing into each other. This creates a rifle that is (essentially) recoilless. The trigger is a three or four lever (standard or match) affair that holds back 500+ pounds of potential energy but releases with a pull of mere ounces. Cocking requires two to three strokes of the lever - depending on stroke length and power. 

While the cocking/charging mechanism remains the same, there were two major build designs. The first consists of a barrel held in place by two massive chisel detents. When released by a lever, the barrel pops up (much like a normal bb rifle) for pellet insertion. In 1993 the design was changed to a fixed barrel, Styer side lever, which adds rigidity and allows room for longer optics on the scope rail. This second design became known as the MK II and included many refinements until the end of production. All models allow quick barrel switching among the five caliber options and many customers opted for multiple barrels.

Several options were available including not only stroke length, but also trigger, stock (sporting or FT) and individual modifications. They were available only in hand selected walnut from Custom Stocks, starting with grade II. Barrels evolved with various design and twist rates with the last iterations being a slow twist (1:1M), poly bore with a .5 thou choke. All materials were the finest available at the time of the build for both interior and exterior applications. Specs for each part were tightly controlled, with every rifle hand assembled and tested by John shooting it from a FT position before sending it off to the customer.

All the above is but a brief synopsis of the history, engineering design, and, quality to be found in each rifle and, hopefully, helps to explain why there are so few available on the open market. Each Whiscombe rifle is a functional work of art.

They are awesome rifles! I recall on the old yellowforum54 as fella by the name James has a few rifles and several barrels.If I recall the story correctly he funded them with the sale of a car. He was a very nice guy and did several posts on the JW guns.

James Brinkly ... a sure fire brit himself !!

We have not seen James or his Son & Daughter active in FT here on the west coast for @ 5 seasons now.

Interesting, why noboby post information about this rifle, Where to buy? Specs? pics? why nobody ?
I shoot FT with a JW tip50 805 fps with 7,8 JSB and have a very nice fixed barrel 60 also

2017 az 3 JW Shooting.jpg

2019 state 2.jpg

2017 4 JW cocking.jpg

Interesting, why noboby post information about this rifle, Where to buy? Specs? pics? why nobody ?
I had the opportunity to hold this one at an airgun show 10-17-15 and I've seen a few since they were first made at airgun shows. I do know someone that owns one but I've not spoken to him in years.

image1 (4).jpeg

Interesting rifles for sure, but unless I was rich, I wouldn't dream of paying $8000 for ANY gun no matter what it is air or powder.
Is that where they are at?..wow.

I had the pleasure to talk with John many times over the phone and he was a genius with mechanics. He also had a shared interest in the victorian times in Africa. He was very much into the Zulu kings, Matebele chiefs etc. Yes I bought a jW80 in .177cal with spare barrel in .22cal serie# 045. I later sold it to a guy in Spain.
Back then I paid £2300 for such gun. 23 ft/ibs with 10,34grain JSBs. Laser trajectory and laser accurate. If one can find the book called " Airgun Odessy" by Steve Hanson. One will find a lot of info in regards to Whiscombe.

I'm no tech genius, but as I understand it there's an outfit called cyberspace where you can find almost anything ever written (except reality).

As I also understand it, look for a lever on your computator marked 'Google' and pull it like you would this 👈; and like I pull everyone's 🦵.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
You all should have bought them when they were under $3500,wait a minute,I mean $5-6000 anyhow JW652 ,James Brinkly and the "other guy" would be buying them up,who was the" other guy"?
Those rifles are heirlooms.
And to think I sold my 1966 Shelby for less than those rifles, well that was 1974:cry:

:cry:

No expert here, but I believe the "other guy" is Fred Vollmer. He used to occasionally post a gun or parts for sale on the AA classifieds. The only reason I know about him is spending Waaaaay too much time checking the classifieds! I think Johnny Piston is a Whiscombe owner -he may chime in.