While I'm waiting .. the reliability question

Apologies in advance for a long post.

I “need” a Wildcat Mk2 or 3 for my wife – but there aren’t any. So, I figured I would get a pistol to scare the closer critters with until the supply chain kinks get worked out. Scare = I can’t hit the broad side of a barn with a firearm pistol so I’m not expecting anything to be different with pellets! And we are old, but I digress.

So I started reading the AGN pistol forum – and discovered this wasn’t going to be an easy decision. To start, my use case is plinking around the place (no neighbors close by) and taking shots at the ground squirrels that wander into range (say 30 yards or less in case I accidentally hit one).

I first looked at the Crosman 1701P and concluded this would be a good platform to learn how to shoot a pistol better on -- but it wouldn’t really fit the brief. Since I’m such a bad shot, single loading is probably also not enough. Maybe I can convince the wife she needs one of these to go with her Wildcat I’m convincing her to get! The 1720T would be nice too but again single loading and maybe not merciful for shooting at ground squirrels. Looking down this road, I also sort of concluded I should be looking at .22 versus .177 but somebody could talk me out of that I suppose.

I paused to consider the P-rod but I have a marauder and it is heavy so I just assume the pistol would be heavy too (remember that ‘old’ person part). And it is probably not as accurate as the Crosmans. How about a Steyr LP50? First, I’m still trying to make the case for the Wildcat. More importantly, however, this is way more pistol than I am needing (i.e. the ‘quality’ cart would be way out in front of the ‘capability’ horse).

So, from reading the forums and my use case, like many, I’m settling in around the Ataman AP16 or the Weihrauch HW44. I should just choose the HW44 and figure another $250 for a red dot scope (which scopes I know nothing about; it just seems this is half way between the cheap ones and the more expensive ones mentioned on the forum). One and done (assuming I can get pellets for it). And it’s German so I assume the manufacturer will be around and that parts/service are available and excellent.

But the AP16 seems like the kind of pistol you would pass down to the kids (assuming the Russian firm can stay in business). Plus, people just say it is more fun. So in addition to the red dot, I would probably also need a moderator (just so the next place over doesn’t think I’m slinging rimfire .22’s all over the place). More supply chains to rely on and this would no longer be a one-stop-shop venture but waiting on a moderator wouldn’t be a deal killer. Of course, I have no clue about service and parts availability. Reading about some of the folks who have had issues scares me a bit as what would one do if they are out of warranty? 

At the end of the day, it’s a personal decision and most of the above is just 'thinking out loud'. I think I’ve covered most of the points raised on similar questions in the forum but I welcome any other considerations I may have missed and in particular, views on the serviceability aspects. Bottom line - the HW44 should be fine but the AP16 would be more fun, but only when it's working. Thanks in advance for any additional insights.

Since you are concerned about not being able to hit anything with a pistol the Prod makes perfect sense because it comes with a stock that is easily installed and turns it into a very capable little carbine. The gun is a lightweight and weighs in at just 2.7lbs without sights.

I can vouch for the HW44 it will shoot near .5 inch groups at 50 yards, one inch in 3-7mph wind, at around 750fps with 14.3 .22 pellets in good conditions. It is a much lighter gun that it looks weighing in at 2.8lbs.

These two are about even in power but the HW gets 10 shots per magazine and the Prod 8. 

Speaking on reliability either of these should be quite dependable for some time. Both are fairly quiet. The Prod is definitely easier to werq on though

I don't have anything like the AP16 so really can't comment on it.

My apologies to your wife, I think I purchased the last available Wildcat 3. Was watching a member video about his new FX gun when he mentioned a long search, finally ending after he decided to get a list of FX dealers, and just start cold calling. Hit paydirt at Airgun Adventures in Tavares, FL. I shot over to Airgun Adventure's website and found my .30 700mm "Sniper" Wildcat 3, last one in stock. That was at end of April. Was so impressed with Brian, from Airgun Adventures, ordered bronze M3 in .25 in May. Again, my apologies, at least now she'll know who to blame.

WM

I don't know the AP16 , but had a 22 cal HW44 with incorporated silencer. very very quiet . pushes about 17 FPE with16 and 18 g pellets. shot most very well. There is a 2x20 pistol scope that fits it well and it runs I believe $120 . Only drawback I saw was the 16-18 shots per fill. Otherwise this gun was a lot of fun. Also deadly accurate.

Besides being as good or better than everything else you mention, the AP16 is the most pistol like pistol of the bunch. You could get something else, and wish you'd gotten the AP16. Out of the hundreds of air pistols I've owned, the Ataman may well be my all-round favorite.

AAP new cover small.1624416299.jpg

I've had zero problems with my AP16. Very well finished, accurate, the part to part fit is very well done. The cocking arm was a little stiff/hard, until I put some oil on all of the sliding and pivot areas, then after a coupla cycles, the cocking effort is smooth and feels pretty..."normal".

EXCEPT there's one thing, I keep running out of air..! It's so easy to just keep shooting, without paying attention to the air cylinder pressure, I keep running it out of air..!

I was originally tossing back and forth with the AP16 and the HW44, like many do. While I don't have the actual comparison, I'm VERY happy with my AP16 purchase.

For what it may be worth, I put a Holosun, red dot sight on it (many variations). Not many sights offer 50,000 hrs of "on" time, which also includes solar cells to provide more run time if the buttery's go dead.

Mike

Excellent feedback folks -- except for WorriedMan who bought my, er, I mean, my wife's wildcat! But what about the reliability and serviceability aspects? Is there an "Ernest Rowe" (the FX Impact guru) equivalent out there in the U.S. somewhere that can fix it when something goes wrong or would it need to go back to Europe? And are they finicky like a 60's vintage foreign sports car or run reliable like that old ford/chevy? In terms of wear parts, are these off-the-shelf, generally available parts that a person could get even if the manufacturer went out of business? I guess I'm just trying to get a feel for any potential downsides. Thanks again.

SlowBoat

Just remembered, the funny thing was, Airgun Adventure's website was supposedly closed down for construction, when I arrived, and Brian said I never should have been able to place an order. Maybe that Wildcat was waiting for me, who knows. What is true is that if I'd known about your wife wanting it, It would be hers. Was raised, "Ladies First."

WM

Slowboat

Thanks for PM. I'm computer-challenged so PM, with other members, is past my ability. Posting pictures and posting replies where post you're replying to shows up on your reply, is also past me. I've no idea how to add a link to a post or a video. The idea of "subscribing," "following" and "liking" are also foreign to me. Guess I could learn all that, but, maybe I'll just keep stumbling along.

WM