• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

which ???

It will also depend what division you intend to shoot. Hunter has a max scope power of 16x, so if you are intending to shoot hunter division, no point attempting to range find (using parallax method) with anything higher in power. But, if intending to shoot Open or WFTF, the more power the better. In open/wftf you can change the power of the scope during the course of fire, so you can range find on 50 power and make your shot using 10 power. In hunter you cannot make any scope adjustments, except for parallax, after you begin the course of fire.

A consideration for scopes for Hunter division. A scope with a max magnification of 16x will not have the same clarity at 16x as a scope with a higher max magnification of say 24 or 32 or whatever. So, just because you can only range and shoot at 16x doesn't mean your scope can't have a higher magnification, you just can use it. But it will/should make your 16x clearer than a scope that maxes out at 16x. You just have to be sure your scope has a 16x mark labeled with the number 16 on the scope if it goes higher than 16x.

Chas

Reactions: beerthief
Yes, adjusting the focus and reading the yardage marking is allowed, per the latest Handbook:

Hunter Division Rules

Sights

A. Optical sights of any reticle style may be used but are limited to a maximum of 16 power magnification. Variable scopes of greater than 16X must be turned to the 16X or nearest lower factory marking on the scope.
B. No Windage or Elevation adjustments allowed during the match. Any shooter discovered adjusting windage or elevation during a match will forfeit all shots on that lane.
C. Optical sights with parallax adjustment may be adjusted so that the target is in focus. Range (yardage) markings may be used.

Focus Range finding at 16 power is very difficult past 40 yards where it counts the most. So I think you need a scope that is set up for bracket range finding really well. Most Hawke scopes work best for this purpose, for the money, in my opinion.
You have to be able to hold real still to bracket range find, but if you can it's very dependable... if you know the kill zone size and they are standard size at 40 yards and beyond. Then, clarity and the ability to see where your shot hits is the next highest factor in my opinion... again Hawke is pretty good for the money.

Wayne

Focus Range finding at 16 power is very difficult past 40 yards where it counts the most. So I think you need a scope that is set up for bracket range finding really well. Most Hawke scopes work best for this purpose, for the money, in my opinion.
You have to be able to hold real still to bracket range find, but if you can it's very dependable... if you know the kill zone size and they are standard size at 40 yards and beyond. Then, clarity and the ability to see where your shot hits is the next highest factor in my opinion... again Hawke is pretty good for the money.

Wayne
Thanks you just made my scope decision easier and a few less $$

May I also add .... FFP is NOT ideal for most in the Hunter Classes. The reticle as viewed gets THICKER as you go to higher X values.
You may find this too obstructive to the KZ hole your aiming to get into ?
Scopes that top out near 16X will have a LARGER reticle view than a scope that tops out 24x or above. In this case they can work better, tho personally like SFP optics for my Hunter class rigs. Dope calibrated for 16X

FYI

It will also depend what division you intend to shoot. Hunter has a max scope power of 16x, so if you are intending to shoot hunter division, no point attempting to range find (using parallax method) with anything higher in power. But, if intending to shoot Open or WFTF, the more power the better. In open/wftf you can change the power of the scope during the course of fire, so you can range find on 50 power and make your shot using 10 power. In hunter you cannot make any scope adjustments, except for parallax, after you begin the course of fire.
In hunter you may turn down the power of your scope...this is done regularly in the off-hand lanes

Reactions: SteveV