• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Which would you pick and why?

I have found myself with more scopes than rifles so I am going to sell one and keep one. Between these two which would you pick and WHY would you pick it?

It’s going on a .177 marauder, mostly target amd plinking but occasional hunting and pesting. Max range is around 35 yards.

scooe 1 = https://airgunopticsplus.com/products/discovery-vt-z-4-16x44-sf-optical-sight-side-parallax-hunting-riflescope-with-mil-dot-reticle-tactical-rifle-scope

scope 2 = https://sightronusa.com/product/sih412x40ftmoa/

Well, beside the obvious of the Sightron quality and lifetime warranty — you really didn't tell us much of how you use a scope — e.g., are you a turret dialer — or a holdover'er?

For me as a dialer the capped turrets of the Sightron are a deal breaker.

For me the Sightron's front parallax (AO) is a deal breaker — I only do side parallax (=Discovery) — much more convenient for offhand shooting.

How important is the field of view (FoV) for you? For me — for quick close range hunting shots — very important, it needs to be wide. The Sightron's 27y are fine. The Discovery info on the spec sheet is in error. If I take the values as meters rather than feet of 5.4-1.35, I'm still getting a lousy FoV at 4x magnification.

Sightron is MOA/MOA — Discovery is MIL/MIL. What's your preference?

I'm not sure how much to trust the specs sheet of the Discovery. It says it only has 30moa of elevation adjustment range. Unlikely, probably they mean 30moa up, and 30moa down. Which makes 60moa, a very common value. That's what the Sightron has. 

Well, you asked, so that was my evaluation. It really depends on your very personal preferences of how you are using your scopes. 😊

Matthias

Thanks all. Sounds like I’m keeping the sightron! The discovery i bought mainly for price, didn’t do much homework on it. The sightron i bought because it was a close out deal and nearly half off. Guess i got lucky!

So where's the link for that Sightron halfv price closeout deal?

I went back in my email to see where and when I bought it. I was wrong, wasn’t half off. Got it from Walmart for $130 last year, early 2019.