Which would you choose of these 2 PCP’s, and why?

That is a good looking gun, never seen it before but I like it alot.
It is this one with a 700 cc bottle:
Screenshot_20221207-213717.png

Where are you sourcing the fpe #’s?
18.39 gr pellet at 880 fps is 31.63 fpe. I can guarantee you that the crown will push an 18.39 much faster than 880 and will shoot 25.39’s @ 900 with no effort whatsoever. That speed magically produces 45.67 fpe. It will shoot the 25.39’s considerably faster without any modifications.
I am not trying to sway you one way or the other as they are both very good guns, but the fpe info you have is not reality
I was simply going by the specs page at fxairguns.com and daystate.com

I was simply going by the specs page at fxairguns.com and daystate.com
I was not attempting to berate or chastise you. Just wanted to make sure you knew that the fpe ratings on the Crown were not reality. I have no personal experience with the Wolverine so could not speak to that gun.
I think either gun would serve you well.

Reactions: whyzee
No worries @Chukar60, I have no experience really with fpe. I don’t even own a chronograph so in the way I shoot pellet guns there is no mathematical formula.
I thought when reading the different gun specs, the (claimed) fpe was a comparison of one being more powerful than the other, say its’ ability to hurl lead harder at the head of said target? 🐿🐿🦝🐇
I’m trying to learn the basics of pcp’s to make an informed decision based upon more than looks 😉
Thank you for your input

Reactions: Chukar60
I used to own a Wolverine .22 standard power. I believe it was shooting about 31 ft-lbs. I got rid of it because I just couldn't use to the fat pistol grip and wide fore-grip. The fore-grip I know I could get use to but the big pistol grip was very uncomfortable to shoot. Couldn't shot it off hand or using bipod very well and shooting on the bench you had to shot it thumb up which isn't my style of shooting. Other then the pistol grip, the Wolverine is a very very nice pcp. Great trigger, ultra smooth side-lever, and made single hole 5 shot groups at 50 yards. No clue on the Crown but wanted to give my opinion on the Wolverine.

I've owned both, own neither now. I recommend the Daystate. I would have kept mine, except the stock was just not a fit for me, and with a non-adjustable comb, I couldn't get it right. I knew immediately it was not going to work, and AOA gave me a full refund on the return. If the stock works for you (and it probably will), it's a great rifle. I would also recommend the standard power version, not the HP. The standard will generate close to 30 fpe, which is plenty for your needs. It's shorter and handier, and the lower noise level makes it more yard friendly for pests or plinking. I've owned several Daystate rifles, currently have a Red Wolf and a Huntsman Revere. Accuracy and reliability have been great in both rifles. The Revere would also be a good rifle for your consideration.

Reactions: keith1 and whyzee
I had a .25 Wolverine that I tried squirrel hunting with. In the woods I found it heavy and bulky. I sold it to buy a lefty Huntsman. Also, Daystate is great if you just want to shoot it and not tinker with it. But the Wolverine is pretty much not adjustable so buy one in the caliber and power you want. I’m personally quite happy with my .22 rifles shooting 30fpe. If I want more the .25 comes out.

personally I think the .22 is still the best choice if you want to own one good gun.

Own one gun….that’s funny until you believe it….

I've owned a Wolverine R .177 standard power for 2 1/2 years...Forester stock...no issues...no adjustments...accurate out of box...they produce as advertised. I have 3 Daystates just well built beautiful rifles...I like the Solid stainless barrels...nothing against FX for sure...just like Daystate better. Myself,
20221116_104746.jpg
20221116_104701_resized.jpg
20221116_104753.jpg
I wouldn't get a Wolverine again today but a Red Wolf
.177 High Power, more versatile and for high shot count alone, something like 425 @ 19fpe on low power! I bought my Wolv before the price increase which included the 0DB also. My two Huntsmans do everything the Wolv can do except shot count and is less size and weight....just sayin'...I do love my Wolverine joy to look at and shoot...if you choose Wolv you won't regret it!

20221116_104701_resized.jpg

I have not owned either one of these rifles, so my opinions are based on things I've read and comparison to other versions from the brands listed.

For a rifle I shoot left handed as well. You will actually appreciate the cocking lever on the right hand side for follow-up shots as you don't have to break your grip with the trigger hand.
I have never owned either one of these, but I did get to hold and examine the FX Crown when I was shopping and that adjustable stock is sweet!, but that's all I can comment on on the gun since I never got to shoot it.

I will comment on ctshooters remark on the cocking lever. I shoot right handed and own a Prophet that has left hand cocking and I will say that it took me about one magazine to fall in love with this configuration. I never have to move my hand from the grip or even take my eye off the target.

I've owned both but the Crown was with a different stock. It's gone and the Wolverine remains. It is difficult to decide for sure but the Wolverine is possibly my favorite of 100s of rifles I've owned. Both of mine shot well and felt nice. A big thing to me and haven't seen it mentioned is the Crown has a ridiculous number of different sized orings where the WR is much more simple and is built to last a LOT longer.
The WR HP version will top out at 47 ft lb so not REALLY enough to drive 25.4s well but it has generally proven very accurate with 13.4s, 15.89s, and 18.1s at or below 900 fps and shoots the 25.4s well but not as well as a Red Wolf at long ranges because of the velocity.
The Wolverine for sure for me.
Bob

Last edited:
How can I follow Bob? Might as well ignore all I’m about to say!

I haven’t owned the Wolverine, but have owned several Red Wolfs and have owned a Crown. They are each neck and neck for my favorite rifles I have owned, but the one I regret selling is my Crown. Still loved my last RW and would own another, if it had a tactical stock (like that new PRS stock).

I am a set it and forget it guy too, and my Crown was setup by the distributor for my wishes and came shooting the most accurate of any rifle I have owned. I didn’t need to change any settings besides the power wheel to change between 18gr and 25gr. I liked that I could easily change the power wheel to test different pellets or slugs. I didn’t have that with the Red Wolf, until I added a Helliboard. I’m not sure how easy the Wolverine is to adjust to test for the best.

The other thing I loved about both those models, that the Wolverine doesn’t have, is cheek adjustability. I haven’t really enjoyed any of my rifles that are not adjustable. To me, that is one of the most important things in any rifle I buy.

The Crown has plenty of power! It was shooting at 49 ftlbs, shooting 25.4RDs at 935 the best of any rifle I’ve owned so far. I could turn the power down and leave the reg, and shoot 18gr at 880 and sometimes even beat the 25s at 50 yards. It was by far the most accurate gun I’ve owned shooting 18gr.

I know people complain about orings and such and possible leaks, but I haven’t had an oring problem from any FX I’ve owned. As a matter of fact, the first oring I ever blew was in my Red Wolf. Breech orings go, no big deal.

The Wolverines are well spoken for. Best thing you can do is weigh all the things you have read and decide which factors are most important to you, and decide which you think you will like the most. And if you don’t like it, sell it and try the other. Don’t go into it feeling like it is the only rifle you will ever buy, and the decision must be perfect. I started out that way and learned quick, that you have to try things for yourself.

Good luck!

I own a daystate wolverine hi lite in .25 and two crown mk2 both with grs stocks. My wolverine is in a walnut stock and its a little older so the grip has a slight difference in grip. No finger grooves but other than that looks like the same shape stock. My wolverine is accurate but I dont like the grip or the cheek riser. The grip just doesnt put my hand where I like it shooting off a bench and the cheek area is very thin and has allot of slope as you can see in the pic instead of straight line like the grs stock. Again something that bugs me shooting off a bench. I really like the grs stock and it fits like a glove and I feel like I am in a more natural position while bench shooting over the wolverine stock. My wolverine never gets shot since owning my crowns and impacts. The wolverine is accurate I just dont enjoy it as much as my crown mk2.

The crown will make much more than 30 fpe. I have one of mine setup with a 380mm .22 barrel and it pushes 18 gr. JSB over 900 fps. Its currently set at 100 bar on the regulator with the power wheel set on 5 and the adjustment screw under the stock backed way off and its still shooting 24 fpe set about 25 fps down from the plateau. I cant imagine the crown mk2 coming in second in power to that daystate. looks like the 45 fpe model has a 23" barrel? my crowns only using the 380mm barrel which is 15" so if you threw a 600mm barrel 23.6" on the crown I think you would hit 55 - 60 fpe. I know my crowns push 25 gr. pellet's well over 1,000 fps when I have the .25 cal barrel on. in fact I was able to push slugs over 1,000 fps. So power will not be a problem for you with the crown.

The things I dont like about the wolverine may not bother you but thats my take owning both and shooting both for some time. They are both great rifles.