Which version HW95?

I am interested in getting back into shooting after years of abstinence and have rightly or wrongly gravitated to the HW95/Beeman R9. I like the look of the longer stock of the Luxus, but would be grateful for any advice from those more knowledgeable as to the different versions out there from the big sellers. For example the R9 Elite Combo from PA has a Mantis 4-12 X 40 scope and retains the original open sights, while the comparable HW95L Field Pro is $50 more from AoA and comes with a Weihrauch branded 3-9 X 40 scope and a muzzle weight but not the open sights. Which in your view is the best buy?

My previous post got flagged and locked, thank you to those that already responded. Which scope is better? Best with the muzzle weight+ scope or keep the open sights+ scope? Both have the longer stock.

Reactions: Deerstalker
If you have was to use the open sights don't get the Luxus stock. The comb can be too high to get a comfortable sight alignment. I personally found this as well as a few others. Some people have been able to use the open sights with the Luxus stock but I'm betting they have a small or thin head.

I prefer the shape of the Luxus stock. I have two of them on guns with scopes.

I would go for the bare gun from Krale if they have what you want, then buy the scope that fits you if your budget allows. Package deals are ok, but are also one-size fits all. Odd it got flagged.... I saw it locked and couldn't see any reason why...
I assumed it was because he asked if anyone wanted to sell one outside of a classifieds post.

Thank you all for your help, now to show my ignorance, what's the 'comb'?
The comb is very simple .it's function is to pair with the scope to get in the eyebox or reticle picture so that the reticle is centered to your eye with no shifting or no horizontal or vertical blurring .Your eye needs to be centered in the eyebox of your scope and that's what a comb does .Think of it as this ..a scope is a highly precise piece that requires the user to be perfectly centered.Too far to the left or right or up and down will not work ..The placement of your cheek will dictate this .You will figure out also that if your scope is too high or too low you will not be able to get centered ti your reticle. It's all very natural to your eye and instinct will figure it out .Example ..you'll probably have less issues with looking through binoculars..your eyes will find the proper placement..but binoculars are not mounted to to a fixed height .

Personal preference. For a little more than the Field Pro you can get the Luxus with a better scope than the Weihrauch, but you won’t get the muzzle weight. Do you like the look of one better than the other? I have a 95 Luxus .22 with a 3-12 x 40 Athlon and it shoots great. You can get the same scope in a 4-16 x 40 for about $10 more. The scope sqwirlfugger57 mentioned is very nice. I have 3 of them. But it’s heavier than the ones I mentioned so keep that in mind. And it’s first focal plane so the reticle will change size as you zoom in and out so you have to decide how you feel about that. Another personal preference thing. I shot mine a few times with the iron sights and had no issues. But, unlike Mycapt65 apparently, I have a little bitty head ha ha. Call AoA and talk to them, helpful folks. When I looked a couple days ago they didn’t have any 95s. Don’t know if that’s changed. They also occasionally get in lightly used guns that aren’t on their website. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

If your shooting springer for hunting application I would not recommend a higher magnification scope than 4x12 and I would dial it down to zero at 10x power .you will find that it's easier to keep the reticle on target at 10x than anything higher .if your shooting field target competition shooting than yes get a higher power scope..but keep in mind ..your form and any misalignment due to your form will magnify your shortcomings exponentially.

Reactions: Mg616
Thank you all for your help, now to show my ignorance, what's the 'comb'?
Hi Trisailor: , Comb has to do with the shape of the top of the butt-stock. Imagine,,Take a 2x4, raise it to your shoulder and aim it. Where your cheek presses against the wood is the comb as well as the cheek rest.. As far as the 2x4 goes that would be a straight comb. To better align your eye to an open sight or scope the stockmaker will design the stock so that the buttstock will be as comfortable for the (average person) holding the rifle in a firing position. Here you can jump down the rabbit hole of many different sport,hobby,hunting disciplines. For example their are open hunting sights / Target peep sights. Scope (large target scopes//-small hunting scopes). Body type(Long and lean/big and burly/small & lite. Disciplines are - Target shooting,( Benchrest and Field Target) (Benchresting I believe have low comb,. Hunting/standing (field/target) a mid comb. And Tactical a high comb. All these disciplines will have some variables and/criteria as well,depends on your situation. Some scope ring manufacturers provide 3 heights ( low,medium,or high ) so that you can get the best possible natural sight picture for your technique/body type/discipline. The height of the comb really helps in being comfortable as you aim the rifle. Oh,ps,If you do use a scope,do remove the front sight. Hang onto it for the sake of the resale value of the rifle

Head size is weird and hard to figure out without some sort of reference, so here goes....

I wear a size medium, full face motorcycle helmet from makers:

Bell, HJC, Scorpion, AGV and Shoei.

Arai and Schuberth tend to be tight on my head.

I couldn't use the open sights on my R9(Pyramyd Air) because of the high comb, but easily accessed on my HW95(Krale).

Hope this helps.

I recommend purchasing the rifle and scope separately. Both of those scopes are not recommended. I suggest a Hawke Airmax, Optisan or Athlon series in 3-12x32ish. Anything else and the rifle becomes top heavy.

I have two HW95's, they are excellent rifles. I would get the Luxus if left handed, otherwise the regular stock is very serviceable. Keep the rifle stock for a while and then figure out how you want it to look. There are lots of paths in this rabbit hole you are jumping into!

You are in the right place and asking the right questions. The package guns are for people who don’t understand or want to invest the time to figure out the trade offs. The HW95/R9 are the same gun. Just rebranded. As you know. The muzzle brake is not a weight. Just a cocking handle. As some have said, the Luxus stock is primarily for scope usage. The muzzle brake eliminates the sights. All a trade off. I personally like to keep my opinions open and go for the open sights and traditional stock. But also like the looks of the Luxus stock. This 95 I bought years ago was a Luxus stock/open sights. I initially scoped it. Loved it. Got a 98 (same gun with barrel weight) and moved the scope to it. Then put a diopter on the 95 and had custom stock made for it. Could not have accomplished this with the muzzle brake version. If you ever think you may add a custom stock the Luxus stock is more more desirable and will fetch a good price that will help offset a CS cost. All a trade off.
73334DF2-3ECD-4FDD-9A2B-51E96218F116.jpeg

Sqwrilfugger57, you are right in your assumption above, Mycapt65, Ace31269 and HeyU, thank you for the education on what the comb is. Ace, bdzjlz, maxtrouble, cjtamu thank you all for the information particularly on scopes, now my head's spinning! I had called AoA yesterday to see if they had any clandestine HW95s and at the moment they don't. Bear-of Grayling that's a beautiful looking gun, thanks for the advise and information on stocks.

I am thinking that finding a used HW95 or R9 that has already been sorted and scoped and preferably still has the original sights is the way to go. Just such a thing was for sale recently but I missed it. Thank you all again for your help and insight, it's apparent to me that I've got a lot to learn.

I've had an r9, an hw95, and an hw95L.
I did not really like the rounded forearm on the hw95 - the r9/luxus style stock is much more to my liking, with the checkering and slightly slimmer and squarer forearm dimensions.

I think the accuracy of these guns begs for a scope for shooting 15-50m. If you are only doing 10m or whatever, i might not bother with a scope.

My AoA HW95L 2020 trivia specs.

Rifle/scope weigh:

7.5 lbs,120 oz = rifle. Spring Piston: Airguns of Arizona

4.4 oz = Hawke Tactical 30 mm 2 piece medium rings Hawke | Tactical Ring Mounts 1" 2 Piece 9-11mm Medium (hawkeoptics.com)

21.9 oz = Hawke 4-16 x 44 mm SF, IR, compact scope Hawke | Airmax 30 SF Compact 4-16x44 AMX IR (hawkeoptics.com)

Total HW95L rifle = 146.3 oz which is 9 lbs 2.3 oz, 4.15 KG

LOP = 14.25” trigger to center butt. WIN M70 30-06 = 13.875", CVA Accura V2 50 BP = 14.5". Note - LOP = length of pull measured from trigger to center butt.

The Hawke tactical medium rings put the center line of the scope 1.5” above the HW95L .22 caliber rifle bore. Rifle twist rate is 16:1.

Rifle was received on 8/11/2020 from AoA.

Moderator weighs 4.32 oz, 122.6 g, 1892 gr. Moderator is 6” long and female threads start 2.1” in from beveled end of Moderator. The thread is 3/4" long & 1/2" diameter with 20 threads per inch.

Barrel length = 15.75” from end of moderator to breech block end.

Barrel without moderator = 12.188”, (12-3/16”, 309.575 mm), from thread end to breech block end.

HW95L total rifle length = 41.875” from end of moderator to butt center.

Rifle is 29” from end of moderator to end of compression tube.

HW95L26
Bore Diameter Piston
Seal Size (mm)
85 Piston Stroke (mm)45.13 Piston Swept Volume (cc)3x15 Transfer Port x Length (mm)0.106 Transfer Port Volume (cc)426:1 SCR254 Piston
Weight in Grams (g)
SCR = Static Compression Ratio, Note - this is irrelevant for a pellet rifle and should be ignored.

Last edited: