• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Which tank, which compressor??

So, I am proud owner of a US version of the BSA Scorpion SE in .25 caliber it is my first PCP, but I am no stranger to springers and co2 having had HW77k and Beeman R9 and a home built Crosman 2250 rat catcher. I also have shot a lot of high power match, and center fire hunting etc etc. Anyway, Airguns have always been something I like to shoot with to keep my eye in, and general pest control. So I have the Scorpion and want to get to using it. My dilemma is related to the tanks, compressors, fill at a dive shop options... I am of the philosophy of buy quality, and bleed once versus take the long exploratory route only to end up spending twice as much than had I bought the quality and right size of equipment up front. Regardless of choice, none of the options I am looking at are what I consider 'cheap' by any stretch of the word.

HPA tank wise, I am leaning towards the Great White (largest) carbon fiber tank based upon some of the features you get with your tank that others do not provide. US made, quality parts etc. They are all spendy, and not too different cost wise, but I would rather buy best quality for the money.

Compressors.... this where I am most unclear. I have heard of some horror stories on the Omega.... Testing hours logged but no firm explanations as to why. I also do not shoot so much as to require something like a daystate or bigger compressor. I am leaning towards the Omega and adding a Diablo Dessicant filter to make sure of zero moisture. What concerns me is the heavy maintenance and strip down that is required. I am okay mechanically on cars, but this thing looks like it could be fairly intimidating. 

A shoebox compressor looks okay, but it looks like a kluge and a compromise to me. I know quite a few folks use them, but the cost is not much less than an Omega in the grand scheme of things. The MROD air compressor looks interesting, but again, I hear of a few folks saying avoid..... A hand pump is not going to cut it for me. It might be different if I was using a Discovery rifle, but the BSA needs a 200 bar plus fill...

There is a dive shop fairly close (hour each way), but they cannot go to 4500 psi without using a booster, and that requires leaving the tank overnight... What I don't want to be doing is 2 round trips, that adds up fast in time, and fuel.

So I am at the crossroads no doubt many people on here reach. 

Am I on the right path??

I'm in a similar position; I've been into pcp's for a couple years 
now using low pressure guns for the most part and filling with a hand pump
but lately I've been wishing I had a tank but I would need a way to fill it
so I've been looking at getting a compressor.
I wanted something simple and reliable
and a low cost as possible.

Originally I thought the shoebox wasn't that great
and not very cost effective (after you add on an oiless compressor, moisture filters etc.)

But after I did a bunch of reading I'm starting to understand why people like them so much.
they are simple to rebuild with tons of info on them and an have excellent customer service.
And parts a easily gotten. And for me fill time won't be a big deal.

I like the looks of the Omega but I've heard rebuilding is not an simple project.?
What do you do come time for a rebuild?

I'm on the fence on about the M-rodair compressor,
like you I hear both ways...

Another thing to consider would be a Sheldon compressor
have heard nothing but good about them.
and you have the added benefit of a build in filter
and quick fill time so less hours on your machine
plus you get more hours between rebuilds with a good full sized compressor.

So for now I'm looking at either a shoebox or a used paintball compressor for me.
I'm interested to see what others have to say on the matter?

Joseph

Before you purchase your tank, checked out Airhog's set-up, I really like mine. Their website is much easier to read. When choosing a tank, be sure it will fill to 4500 psi, some only fill to 3000 psi. I would ask!!!!! As far a compressor is concerned, I am having trouble coughing up 3-4k but not wanting to get burned on a chinese unit. That leaves the choice of the shoebox which is slow and needs a 1st stage compressor and an air dryer. I guess I don't mind driving 45 mi to an hour going to fill my tank.

Doc

I've got about 20 owner hours on my Omega without issue as well. The only idiot move so far on my part was blindly reaching up to make sure the bleed valve was closed tight. I turned down completely the knob that holds the grease.

I will most likely buy a Daystate though. My wife complains about the noise the Omega makes so I think that is her way of saying I can buy a faster compressor for the noise to go away quicker.

bought an omega last november, I have over 80 hours on it. no prob's..... I Can take it anywhere and use it on any standard 110v outlet without drawing a lot of juice. no need for dedicated outlets like the daystate and bauer, which even running thoughs on a 120 v circuit you still need a dedicated outlet because of how much power they use . which means it can only be used were that dedicated outlet is.. I put mine down in the man cave were I can control temp and humidity, and its quiet....

So I bit the bullet on a Joe Brancato 97 cf tank with dual gauge... Big investment, but Like I said, you bleed once.... Just sad that EVERYTHING about this pursuit requires bleeding once multiple times!!! PCP gun purchase, CF tank with gauges and hoses, and in the near future, an Omega compressor. Having come from the high power match side of the shooting scene some years back, it is comparable. Although PCP guns seem to be a lot more expensive compared to center fire or rimfire guns. Probably due to the amount of complicated additional machining steps???

Another cost effective option is to search the Miami area listings on Craigslist or on Ebay. There is a great seller on Ebay named Too_Deep who is on Craigslist in Ft. Lauderdale whose items are listed in the Miami area Craigslist for "Bauer compressor". He resells Bauers used to fill firefighting breathing tanks on ships and totally rebuilds them for U.S. users. I purchased a used Bauer for $2500 that will outperform any of the Chinese units and only requires a rebuild after 1500 hours which is 7500 tank top offs! I refill my 66cf tank about twice a month which takes 12 minutes, which means my Bauer run time is 2 hours a year. That would equate to 30 hours run time on a Shoebox and 15 on an Omega. In the unlikely event I need service I can get it done locally. I don't have to ship it to Arizona or worse yet to China if the distributor decides not to sell them any longer. I had high hopes for the new Mrodair compressor, but watching the video on Youtube posted today leaves me unimpressed. As they used to say in the Wendy's commercials, where's the beef? Their add on drying system is very cheesy and a joke for a high pressure compressor. It appears to be installed on the input side which accomplishes nothing. The air has to be compressed first for the moisture to come out of the air. The tiny line output moisture filter they offer suggests you put a paper towel in it to catch moisture. Even the Omega has a much better water filtration built into it than that. Listening to it running sounds over-revved. Guinea pigs, all I can say is "caveat emptor" on any made in China compressor.

"amoxom"So I bit the bullet on a Joe Brancato 97 cf tank with dual gauge... Big investment, but Like I said, you bleed once.... Just sad that EVERYTHING about this pursuit requires bleeding once multiple times!!! PCP gun purchase, CF tank with gauges and hoses, and in the near future, an Omega compressor. Having come from the high power match side of the shooting scene some years back, it is comparable. Although PCP guns seem to be a lot more expensive compared to center fire or rimfire guns. Probably due to the amount of complicated additional machining steps???
Great white is a very good tank; 2nd gauge is nice; you can also read tank pressure using a Forster fitting male plug as a dead end on your microprobe hose, but like you my philosophy is bleed once, and the 2nd gauge is a nice convenience.

As for why PCPs are expensive: this has been discussed before. It basically a small market; companies like Daystate and FX sell high precision engineering products, but with comparatively low sales volume compared to rim fire and center fire guns, you and I are paying the R&D and production costs. Rumor has it that the owner of FX straightens every barrel by hand during production, so its really a hand made product, with Swedish (or for Daystate UK) labor costs. Great guns though!