Which Stores Carry Fine Grit Emery Cloth?

This isn’t the first time I’ve tired to locate fine grit emery cloth. But I definitely can use it for some currently work that I’m doing. Stuff seems to last longer than sandpaper. I’m looking for 1000-5000 grit and some very-fine grit around 8000-10,000. I just don’t know which brick-and-mortar stores or types of stores carry it in stock. I’ve found course stuff at Lowe’s and didn’t trust it to smooth an area on one of my shrouds in the past. I found some micro grit sheets at a crafts store, but read a review that states that these particular sheets don’t last long. I’d like something that lasts a little while. https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Model-Kits/Paint-Brushes/Micro-Finishing-Cloth-Abrasive-Pads/p/108354?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4Peyn4yW9gIV1hXUAR2lJAtYEAQYBSABEgKPHvD_BwE

I know they can be ordered online, but I’m trying to locate a store. Also if you use any, what’s a good brand? Thanks in advanced for your suggestions. 

Yeah that micro mesh looks interesting. I pretty much have my bases covered with 3M wet-dry up to ~2500-grit and use their polishing cloth for anything finer (and diamond polishing compounds from 5-0.25 microns) . The 3M high abrasion scrub pads are also very good, as are good old green Scotchbrite pads for grainier, ~600-grit like satin finishing.

MicroMesh has been around since the mid 1980's. Their grit system isn't the same as 3M or Norton, for example. You might be able to find some of 3M's automotive finishing sanding discs at an automotive paint supply store. It's sold in discs, either Hookit backed or Stickit PSA adhesive backed. That abrasive is designed for automotive finishes.NAPA is pretty much a national brand. Maybe try there.

OR, check with McMaster-Carr for metal abrasives. 3M has 3" discs that go up to 2500 grit.

https://www.mcmaster.com/abrasive-discs/diameter~3/cushioned-adhesive-back-sanding-discs-for-stainless-steel-and-hard-metals/

Reactions: Ezana4CE
I’ve been having a helluva time finding the automotive stuff in small quantities. They wanted me to buy a $60 box of the sanding discs of the same grit. I did find this at Harbor Freight. I’ll order the finer stuff online. I just needed something to smooth out a slight groove on a regulator body and a couple other things. The finer grits should be up to the task. The discs feel more like emery cloth.

C03B49CD-8D02-4820-9D8F-53BB5FF65CD2.1645649810.jpeg

4395015E-0C9F-40EA-A574-DF1E122F91BB.1645649959.jpeg

Thank you guys for the suggestions. 

Klingspor.. Not sure if you have one near where you live. German made and very good quality.. Price is not bad either. I use there belt sander 4"x36" and 5" random orbital... 

I saw a video just recently and they guy was using 3M very high end product for a very fine polish.. I think it was that guy that was rebuilding a FX regulator.. It was posted on AGN.. 

+2

My sanding/polishing arsenal consists of normal, but high quality name-brand (3M) sandpaper from 220 up to 3000grit, and the recently discovered the 3M polishing paper linked above in an Ernest video. This is really a cloth not paper, and is a supplement not replacement for the conventional paper. I've only used the cloth in the really high grit ranges like 2000+ and it works great there. I did the regulator sealing surface polish per Ernest video and it 100% eliminated reg creep.

I doubt you'll find the Polishing paper(cloth) in stores, but around me Home Depot seems to be the best source for 3M sandpaper up to 3000 grit. Auto parts stores didn't have as nice of a selection as I'd expected.

I can say from experience that the yellow-packaged wet/dry paper from Harbor Freight is crap. Yes, it feels like emery cloth, but it falls apart rapidly, especially if wet. It will work for small tasks, but it's not worth my time to buy again.

Mine is a multipack of sandpaper sheets. I’ve bought and used sandpaper from there before. It isn’t the greatest quality but I generally am only cutting or tearing pieces from a large sheet. I think it’ll serve its purpose for the price point. I’m curious about these discs. I’ll let y’all know what I think after using them.