• The Airgun Nation App is ready for iOS users! It should be available for Android users any minute! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Which Springer to Get ?

I recently moved to a state where shrouded, moderated, or silenced, in any way, pellet guns are illegal. So, I had to sell my FX Wildcat PCP gun.

I would like to replace it with a springer, but which one? I’m wanting one that doesn’t have a lot of “shake, rattle & roll” when you pull the trigger, light weight and a smooth clean trigger, in .22 cal. Any suggestions ?

P.S., sure miss my FX !

The consensus I believe are:

Air Arms Pro Sport, TX200 Mk III (underlever)
Beeman (rebranded Weihrauch)
Walther LGU (underlever)
Weihrauch HW80, HW95, HW98 (break barrel), HW 77, HW 97 (underlever)

The new kid under the block would be Sig Sauer ASP20 (break-barrel), although I wasn't that impressed from the Pyramyd Air review. Diana (aka RWS) used to be on the list, but not a lot of people talk about them anymore.

The varmints around here hate my HW80 but their sentiment is short lived. If you plan on plinking rather than hunting, then suggest you look into something with less power for smoother shot cycle and lower noise, i.e. HW30, HW35E (is the only current springer in walnut that Weihrauch makes).

The Tx200,Pro sport, HW 97 or HW77 are all fine but If weight is a factor you will rule out most underlevers and HW 80’s at around 9 pounds + except the HW 57. I think it comes in at around 6 lb’s has same the power plant as HW 95’s and R9’s.These are the lightest weight and with moderate power. The HW 30 or the R7’s are a pleasure to shoot and close as you can get to a pcp in a springer but very low on power. For me and I have shot bothpcp and springers for years. A tuned HW 80 Hunter Carbine 12” barrel with a moderator has about a perfect shot cycle and plenty of power for hunting. I really don’t think you can go wrong with any that have been mentioned here as I have owned all except for the HW57. I have many pcps and springers. If I could only have one it would be my HW 80 no doubt.

Also Weihrauch’s Rekord triggers are awesome 

AAHHHH New Jersey, the place where I made a living and then got out of 16 years ago. I didn't know they had gone that far with air guns even though they are viewed as firearms, but I can only guess the shroud and moderator fit the bill. When I got my first air pistol almost 30 years ago in N.J; I had to get a pistol purchase permit, signed by the chief of police in my town. It was a one month wait even though the chief was at the pistol club every Saturday and knew the members well.

When he handed me the permit, he reminded me that the air gun is considered a full blown firearm, equivalent to a 44 magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world. I was waiting for him to ask me if I was feeling lucky punk? Technically, you can't even shoot them in your own basement.

Have you looked deeply into the actual laws and asked if there are any PCP rifles that are legal. You may have to do a little educating on what a PCP is, but if you could get something in writing from an authority, you may be ok.

You are the second person in the last week I've read about in Jersey. It's sad, can't believe they put any PCP in the same category as something like an AR.

I have also been considering getting a high end spring gun but I need to wait a bit until I have some money to spend. I know right now there's an r9 for sale in the classified section here. I've also read that krale is the best place to buy a new HW as the process even with shipping are lower than anywhere else.

Air arms guns have shrouded barrels so their out....as is the HW97 and the LGU. You could but an HW77 (and that's a good thing) but be careful where and how you shoot it in Jersey. Years ago me and 4 other guys went to a silhouette shoot in Phillipsburg NJ. Between us we had 10 guns in the back of my Pathfinder covered with a blanket. We had the windows down and didn’t know that the blanket had blown off the guns. When we crossed the bridge from Easton (pa.- land of the free) into Phillipsburg (NJ - land of the oppressed ) the toll worker asked us to pull to the side and a minute later we were surrounded by Phillipsburg PD. Made us pull out each gun so they could check them all- even though they knew about the NRA competition at their local range. Kept us there for an hour giving us all kinds of warnings about firearms. Go figure. Don't know what part of Russia (I mean NJ) you live in but if you are within driving distance of the Philadelphia area, we have 2 very active clubs you can come shoot at. Back to your question : I would consider the HW77 or Beeman R9 if those guns are in your price range. Can't go wrong with either. 

Springrrrr, thank you for the reply. I feel I need to clarify, or explain the law.

Have you looked deeply into the actual laws and asked if there are any PCP rifles that are legal. You may have to do a little educating on what a PCP is, but if you could get something in writing from an authority, you may be ok.

Yes I have. I’ve attended a seminar, hosted by a prominent “gun lawyer” who makes a living defending gun violation clients.

Air guns, pellet guns, PCP’s, BB guns, etc. are totally legal. The problem comes in “if they are shrouded, or silenced” in any way, then they become illegal. Thanks again.

Depending on what you will be doing with the gun, you may need to make some sacrifices. Paper punching at 20 yards? HW30 in .177. Hunting squirrels a little further out? HW95, 97, etc, but these start getting a little heavier. Heavier may help with recoil. 

I’m a huge fan of the LGV break barrel ( I have two of them, .177 & .22) but, it’s heavy. In .177 12fpe it has plenty of power to dispatch squirrels out to 40+ yards. 

I know a guy in N.J. who was called in for shooting his air rifle in a back yard that was as safe as any with lots of room. Some lady walking by heard the rifle and went around to investigate. She called him in to the state police for shooting a "high powered" rifle.

The trooper who came could have hauled him in and got him on a weapons charge, but the guy had a brain and assessed the situation. He told my friend his shooting days were over because the call was on record and the next trooper may not be as lenient.

So OP, be careful when, where and how.