• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Which springer for squirrel hunting?

Diana 48 in 22 cal and easy to install sling studs.
Love my .48s for squirrel hunting but they are a tad heavy.. I mostly hunt with my BSA Lightning XL .22, accurate, quiet and very accurate..also use my John in PA tuned Turkish Tomahawk .22, it is exceptionally accurate,balances great and trigger is very nice after a little work. 48 in pic is .177 but .22 is same other then caliber. Picture of squirrels with no gun were killed with the Tomahawk.
20221030_111036.jpg
20221016_111038.jpg
20221029_105921.jpg

Nice
Love my .48s for squirrel hunting but they are a tad heavy.. I mostly hunt with my BSA Lightning XL .22, accurate, quiet and very accurate..also use my John in PA tuned Turkish Tomahawk .22, it is exceptionally accurate,balances great and trigger is very nice after a little work. 48 in pic is .177 but .22 is same other then caliber. Picture of squirrels with no gun were killed with the Tomahawk.View attachment 333186
Nice bunch of squirrels and beautiful rifles. I enjoy squirrel hunting more than deer hunting. I know I’m weird lol

Reactions: Frogy and drsquall
My R9 .20 has been outstanding as far as accuracy goes. Weight wise no problem. Deadly squirrel gun, easy to cock and load. Most tree rat shots are 20 - 30 yds.
Tough question, all my guns are for the squirrels, that’s why I’m here. Maybe a HW50, HW35e already has sling rings. You could spin a wheel, any Weihrauch would work .22 cal. , if weight isn’t a problem. Crow
Crow, all of my are for the same. I don’t care about the weight because I’m not going on a safari lol.

Reactions: crowski
Hardier how for lefties? Because cocking handle on right side? I ask because I leaning that way or an R9

Thanks
Jon
I have r9 177, hw 95 in 20 and 22. And they are squirrel getters also. The point is there are lots of fantastic springers out there, have fun choosing one or many.

🤔 well I have the HW97k 177cal It’s a tack driver but it’s is on the heavy side. The same thing with my Diana 48. Now my HW95 field pro 177 much easier to carry , is vary accurate But the one I’m looking forward to using this fall is my HW90 22. It’s is a heavy one. But just feels good in the hands. There is a lot of good information on this thread . Good luck. An keep us up to date on your decision 😃

Reactions: drsquall
Hardier how for lefties? Because cocking handle on right side? I ask because I leaning that way or an R9

Thanks
Jon
Yes. And I don’t believe the 48 has ambidextrous stock. I know my 52 doesn’t. I love my HW95 Luxus .22. Similar weight to my HW35E but a little more power. Luxus has an ambi stock. One thing to think about if you want a sling is how to mount on a break barrel. Not a great idea to attach to the barrel. Other than the HW35 which has a locking mechanism and comes with swivels installed. HW50 is probably the best all rounder of the HW break barrels.

AGN is basically a HW fanboi forum so I’ll probably get in trouble, but another gun to consider would be the Diana Model 34/36 Classic. I have one and it’s a tremendous gun for me. It’s long and forward balanced and some don’t like that but it works for me. 12-14 FPE in .177 don’t know about .22. You want the Classic, not the EMS version. Actually one for sale in Classifieds. Has it listed as a 36 but I believe it’s a 34. Only difference is 36 has a nicer stock with checkering.

Yes. And I don’t believe the 48 has ambidextrous stock. I know my 52 doesn’t. I love my HW95 Luxus .22. Similar weight to my HW35E but a little more power. Luxus has an ambi stock. One thing to think about if you want a sling is how to mount on a break barrel. Not a great idea to attach to the barrel. Other than the HW35 which has a locking mechanism and comes with swivels installed. HW50 is probably the best all rounder of the HW break barrels.

AGN is basically a HW fanboi forum so I’ll probably get in trouble, but another gun to consider would be the Diana Model 34/36 Classic. I have one and it’s a tremendous gun for me. It’s long and forward balanced and some don’t like that but it works for me. 12-14 FPE in .177 don’t know about .22. You want the Classic, not the EMS version. Actually one for sale in Classifieds. Has it listed as a 36 but I believe it’s a 34. Only difference is 36 has a nicer stock with checkering.
Thanks for the information. I will look at that rifle. Yeah I am usually the guy that goes against the grain when it comes to things I like. That’s not to say that what the majority uses is bad it just might not be for me. I try to give everything a fair shake and try it all, but my pocketbook isn’t that deep. definitely need something that is not right hand oriented, as far as the stock goes. There is nothing worse for left-hander than a high right handed Monte Carlo stock lol

my 48s are ambi but believe 52s are not due to cheek piece/fancier stock.

Reactions: fishing43
my 48s are ambi but believe 52s are not due to cheek piece/fancier stock.
Thanks for the info. BoG and Lewis are both lefties, maybe they’ll weigh in. HW97K is a fine gun as well. Ambi stock and under lever, and generous sized breech. Have actually loaded mine with both hands seeing what I preferred so I would think great for a lefty. Only had mine a short time and it’s already one of my faves. Heavy but nicely balanced. Scope only, no sights. Good power out of the box. Don’t know how available they are right now. Might be one or 2 in classifieds.

Nice

Nice bunch of squirrels and beautiful rifles. I enjoy squirrel hunting more than deer hunting. I know I’m weird lol
I know what you mean. Deer hunting gives you maybe one opportunity. A lot of sitting and waiting, usually. But if you get one you get a ton of meat (by comparison anyway).
But with squirrel hunting you often, not always, get a lot more opportunities to shoot. But less meat yield. I compare it to boring trolling for walleye, compared to a good day yellow perch fishing. Often times you end up with a whole lot of perch.

I know what you mean. Deer hunting gives you maybe one opportunity. A lot of sitting and waiting, usually. But if you get one you get a ton of meat (by comparison anyway).
But with squirrel hunting you often, not always, get a lot more opportunities to shoot. But less meat yield. I compare it to boring trolling for walleye, compared to a good day yellow perch fishing. Often times you end up with a whole lot of perch.
Good comparison

Reactions: Glenroiland
All I remember about my dads 48 was the shot seemed more harsh to me. It shot good his was a 177 and he didn’t have a scope on it.
48/52 has more recoil than anything else listed here. Also more power in stock trim. In .177 accuracy benefits from power reduction. De-tuned in .177 can still easily put out 14-16 FPE. Will still have quite a bit of recoil. I had a harder time learning to shoot my 52 well. Once I did it’s another great shooting gun. You’d have to cock it with your right hand though.

Any of the guns mentioned would work great. Consider where you’re hunting. Distance, vegetation, wind, do you need flatter trajectory or more energy etc. and decide what fits your needs. Same thing you’d do with a PB.

48/52 has more recoil than anything else listed here. Also more power in stock trim. In .177 accuracy benefits from power reduction. De-tuned in .177 can still easily put out 14-16 FPE. Will still have quite a bit of recoil. I had a harder time learning to shoot my 52 well. Once I did it’s another great shooting gun. You’d have to cock it with your right hand though.

Any of the guns mentioned would work great. Consider where you’re hunting. Distance, vegetation, wind, do you need flatter trajectory or more energy etc. and decide what fits your needs. Same thing you’d do with a PB.
I don’t mind cocking with my right hand. They only thing I do left handed is shoot guns,bows, shoot basketball, everything thing else is right handed. Baseball, golf. I know I’m weird. Lol