which slugs for air venturi avenger? in both .22 and .25

Stephen from AVS Slugs did a YouTube video where he tested the Air Venturi Avenger right out of the box with his 34gr .254 slugs. And at 50 yards he had solid accuracy! He did NOTHING to tune the gun. He didn't even clean the barrel. Just took it straight out of the box to the range. So I'm thinking that if you actually took the time to clean the barrel and tune the gun a little bit, you could get even better accuracy. But barrels are finicky with slugs. You could take identical guns with identical reg settings shooting identical slugs at identical velocities, and one will be sub MOA, and the other will be all over the paper. But..... On his YouTube video (Air Velocity Sports- Air Venturi Avenger 25) he shows his results. He said they were all Cup Base versions of his .254 slugs.

The gun isn't high end, so don't expect FX Impact results. But I think your could tune the gun to get some awesome results if you took the time. But those would be the slugs I would recommend for it.

Reactions: DesertSilver
Thanks for the input. I looked at AVS, but I'd prefer to focus on slugs that are more economical (Nielsen) and then stock up. His samplers are sold out on both .22 and .25. otherwise it would have been the easy button: just order the samplers and find out what it likes. Have 1x .22 and 2x in .25 so chances are I'll find a slug that works in one of them.

For the .22 I have found the following on various forums;

NSA17.5 .217 at about 850

NSA 20.2 .216

NSA 20.2 .218

NSA 17.5, no diameter given

"liberty's barrel seems to like a .216 slug"

FOR .25:

29 GRAIN .249 AT 900 fps

29.5 grain

So, not much found on the .25 yet. Once I have more input there I'll focus my order on these recommendations :)

nickel at 40 lol I got nickle at 48 with 10 shot group with my 24 grain nsa 5 on hammer, I skipped off the tune looking for a bit more precision even I guess im spoiled?
Your best bet is to buy samples of slugs in various diameter and shape and see where you go from there.
Even though they shoot well I dont think 2 barrels are ever the same.
Very underated gun in my opinion and super accurate even in 22.
217" 22g hollow slugs with a flat base in my barrel where tight but grouped well.

Your best bet is to buy samples of slugs in various diameter and shape and see where you go from there.
217" 22g hollow slugs with a flat base in my barrel where tight but grouped well.
Its a nice gun for sure it does have some downsides like the small plenum barrel &transfrer port need to be larger diameter but its 440 with my washington 10% tax I added a bit of mods to help with poi shifting an what not costing about $520 in total for the gun not bad all though I think I need more power if I want to push 26-32 grain slugs out at like 920 or so, Its my first pcp an it got me in the game, Although right now I am currently looking for a bit more power on my 2nd pcp airgun I want something 25-30 cal that does good with slugs probably .25 good bc, Great middleground a .30 slug will be getting affected by wind a fair bit more than a 25 when it goes the distance.

I remember I tried to buy the samples from nsa they where all outta stock I got 31 grain 2175 and 216 bad move They shoot so low out the 22 cal I dont think they are reaching the optimal velocity they drop like 10 inches at 48 yards compared to the 28 grans drop like 6 inches, I dont think my 22 is pushing these slugs to the optimal velocity if they are dropping that low they are leaving at like 700 fps or so.

I remember I tried to buy the samples from nsa they where all outta stock I got 31 grain 2175 and 216 bad move They shoot so low out the 22 cal I dont think they are reaching the optimal velocity they drop like 10 inches at 48 yards compared to the 28 grans drop like 6 inches, I dont think my 22 is pushing these slugs to the optimal velocity if they are dropping that low they are leaving at like 700 fps or so.
Hi pete
I only swage 217-218
And I'm sure 22g 217 flat base hollow points shoot well.
I shoot them from a nova freedom 22 cal.

Reactions: MarksmanPete
Hi pete
I only swage 217-218
And I'm sure 22g 217 flat base hollow points shoot well.
I shoot them from a nova freedom 22 cal.
one of my 31 grain 2175 slugs I shot went an hit the donny fl adapter lightly or the baffles the head was a bit deformed I shook it out of the suppresor. Luckily no damage found while inspecting baffles.

Reactions: aroundlocks
great, thanks! i'll put them on the list :) Anyone know about the magic slug for the .25?
My Avenger .25 likes the 40 grain Apolo slugs about 1/2" at 25 yards. Only 770 fps though and got my reg and hammer spring just about maxed. Lol still 52 ft/lb of energy though. It shoots the 33 grain Apolo's at 850 fps but did not group as good