Which slugs for .22 Crown MkII 700mm?

I have a Crown Continuum 22 on its way to me with the standard 700mm barrel and I also ordered a Superior STX Heavy 700mm .22 liner. I also have some Huma power mod components to push it faster if it makes sense.

Which .22 slugs do you suggest I test with? I already have FX Hybrid 22gr, H&N 30gr .217, and JSB 25.39 .216 original and MkII. I had a look at the NSA and ZAN lineup and the variety is bewildering.

Also any other advice is appreciated.

My crown’s favorite slugs with 600mm heavy liner were NSA 27.5 grain slugs, now I’m on 35 grain NSA. The crown can shoot all of NSAs 0.217 very well but you need to get the tune right. If you stay with superior liners then stick to 23 grain or 20 grain slugs.

I only shoot NSA because they are made in US and more importantly incredibly consistent. Tried H&N a few times and they are no where near as consistent in quality with some horrible looking bad slugs in every tin I got.

Edit: I standardized on 0.217 nsa slugs.

Last edited:
My crown’s favorite slugs with 600mm heavy liner were NSA 27.5 grain slugs, now I’m on 35 grain NSA. The crown can shoot all of NSAs 0.2175 very well but you need to get the tune right. If you stay with superior liners then stick to 23 grain or 20 grain slugs.

I only shoot NSA because they are made in US and more importantly incredibly consistent. Tried H&N a few times and they are no where near as consistent in quality with some horrible looking bad slugs in every tin I got.
So to be clear, you are using the .2175 size for all of those weights?

Thanks,

David

So to be clear, you are using the .2175 size for all of those weights?

Thanks,

David

Sorry, typo! I have standardized on 0.217 sized NSA slugs in FX barrels.

I tried almost all the sizes in multiple weights and 0.217 seems to be the most consistent across different slugs. It doesn’t hurt to try .2165 or even .216 also once you found a weight/slug you want to shoot but I decided to just stick with 217 even though in lighter weights(20g and 23g) the 216 & 2165 also shot well.

0.2175 also shot well and very consistent but across all the weight slugs I tried the 0.2175 slugs are 5-10 fps slower from the same gun.

Reactions: dgeesaman
I appreciate the suggestions.

I have a variety of the $11 size of NSA on the way ranging from 24 to 31gr.

I also got decent results already with the 700mm slug liner and FX Hybrid slugs and H&N 30gr .217s.

If anyone else wants to get into .22 slugs I will have my extras available soon. It only takes 20-25 shots indoors for me to rule out the ones that aren’t working for my gun.

Mi Crown MK2 .22 tiene un cañón de 600 mm. Dispara muy, muy bien con la bala NSA de 24,8 granos y 0,218” de diámetro a 945 fps. Rueda motriz al máximo y reg fijado en 140 BAR y precarga del martillo interno casi al máximo.
kenny
llegué a la misma sintonía..... sin embargo, cambié el resorte por uno Huma con más precarga y llego con 140 bar y noqueo .217 970-980 fps en 600mm stxs 1:24.... matando palomas a 170 mt.....no quiero tocarlo mas....

End of last year I invested my money, got the Trrobb pellet sizers (.22 and .25), and still invested my time to rework it to my liking - for pellets.
Shooting pellets got more enjoyable when you actually see that you no longer dependent from the manufacturer but resize to the barrel of your wish.
I am shopping now for a slug sizer kit, not sure yet which Brand to get, maybe NOE maybe not.
But for sure I cannot afford a new hobby swaging my own slugs from raw lead.