Tuning Which slug for a .25 slug A liner?

So I recently acquired a 700mm fx impact barrel for experimentation and it currently has a slug A liner in .25 caliber installed. So my question is what slugs in .25 caliber have people had success with and at what velocities. I have done a fair amount of looking into this and while there are a couple sources of info. on the .25 caliber moist of the accuracy reviews and the like are centered around .22. So just looking for a general direction to head before diving into my own testing.

Thanks in advance.

I have an Impact in .25 with a 700mm slug A liner and it shoots the NSA 33.5, 36, 36.2 and VK 34gr all at less than MOA at 100 yards.

All with the same tune if I remember correctly. It did very well with the JSB King Heavy MKll pellets as well.

The three targets down a couple posts in the thread were shot at 100 yards and 740fps yards but accuracy fell apart at 150 yards.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/installed-my-new-700mm-slug-liner-on-my-impact-and-started-tuning/

The targets in this thread were shot at near 960fps. The gun also shoots these projectiles with the same accuracy in the 900-940fps range.

Accuracy with the slugs seems to start to degrade at around 980fps+.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/the-infamous-slug-power-kit-on-my-gen1-impact/

Slug liner shoots .250 slug or 33.4 grain and up slugs very well. I’m trying superior heavy and so far it’s shooting even the 26 grain slugs well, have some .249 29 grain slugs and more 33.4 grain slugs coming for the up and coming turkey season in the mail. I’m think the 29 grains could be a winner because it’s actually a bit longer than the 29.5 grain flat base slugs. Superior heavy has much faster twist rates so should shoot longer slugs better. 

Slug liner shoots .250 slug or 33.4 grain and up slugs very well. I’m trying superior heavy and so far it’s shooting even the 26 grain slugs well, have some .249 29 grain slugs and more 33.4 grain slugs coming for the up and coming turkey season in the mail. I’m think the 29 grains could be a winner because it’s actually a bit longer than the 29.5 grain flat base slugs. Superior heavy has much faster twist rates so should shoot longer slugs better.

Do you find it needs more power than a slug liner to drive them? I've heard the heavy liners have a really tight choke. And a tight/short leade.

Varmint Knocker 32.8 or 34gr. are awesome. The NSA 29.5g. is great too.

I got one of the very first slug A liners to hit the USA from Fredrick a couple of years ago. When I started testing slugs in .25, there was absolutely no information at all. It was all for the .22 caliber slug liners. I decided to start testing everything myself and try to put together as much information as I could. I was lucky enough to hook up with both Dale at Varmint Knocker and Nick at NSA who both supplied me with slugs available for retail as well as many prototype slugs that were not on the market. I got so into the testing and trying to learn about the FX liner and slugs that testing was all I did, day in and day out for almost a year. After a little over a year I got a bit burnt out and started to slow down but still tested like 3 days a week. I’ve tested somewhere in the neighborhood of 17,000 slugs in the past 2 years and have learned a lot. With that being said, there is still plenty that I can’t explain or figure out. There are just some strange results that show up sometimes when testing slugs.

Anyway, here is a little I have learned that might help... Many attribute the success of how well a slug shoots based on the diameter of the slug....249”, .250”, .2503”, .254” etc... While testing almost every slug available, I sized every slug I had from .2485, .249, .2495, .250, .2503, .254. Meaning every slug I had, regardless of the size when it arrived, were sized down in each of the sizes listed above, if I could size it that is. By doing this, I could determine the factors that influenced accuracy and those that didn’t. Contrary to belief, because the liners are choked, the slug diameters between .2485-.2503” all shot similarly after the gun had been tuned for that particular slug. The .254” not so much although they do shoot well in the Lothar Walther Polygonal barrel. In the Slug A liner, the things that I found to affect accuracy the most were bearing surface, the base design, the ogive design, the weight and the diameter. As a general rule of thumb, most slugs shoot better at faster speeds than slower speeds. You can push them pretty hard without worrying about many of the problems associated with pellets at super fast speeds. I never had much luck at slower speeds and that kind of defeats the purpose of a high BC slug anyway. Biohazardman has had luck shooting various slugs at velocities ranging from very low to very high, I have not seen that to be the case in any of my testing. I’ve found almost every slug I’ve tested has a 30-40fps window where they shoot great, usually somewhere between 920-980fps. Outside that window they may shoot okay or just mediocre. It takes a fair bit of time to tune your gun for each particular slug unless you happen to get lucky. The relationship between the regulator pressure and hammer spring influences the accuracy a lot more with slug tuning than it does with pellets. I am not saying Biohazardman’s results didn’t happen, he has also tested a lot of slugs and there are a lot of variables. I just have never been that lucky and haven’t had any slugs shoot under an inch at 100yds at velocities under something like 880fps. Most of the slugs I tested, regardless of weight, shot best in Slug liner A at between 920-980fps. The Varmint Knocker 32.8 and 34gr. recommended both shoot great at around 965fps. Another thing I didn’t see mentioned was to make sure and try lubing some of the slugs in each of the weights you test. It may or may not affect the accuracy much but it will certainly increase the time between cleanings when using slugs. I have a Superior liner and heard all of these great results with the new FX slugs. I couldn’t get them to shoot as well as everyone was saying they were capable of and was getting pissed. In one of the posts on AGN someone said something about lubing the FX slugs. I always lube my slugs but had forgotten with the FX slugs. When I did lube them, the accuracy increased dramatically. Five shot groups under an inch consistently at 100yds, over and over again. That’s not as easy as everybody makes it sound and after lubing these FX slugs they were crazy accurate, before hand, not at all. It doesn’t happen that way all the time but it can. WIth all the slugs I’ve tested in FX slug A liners, flat or dished base slugs, large hollow points and a long bearing surface were the three things that were most common in the most consistently accurate slugs. Of course there were slugs with a cupped base or shorter bearing surface area or whatever that shot well but day in and day out, these three factors were almost always present in the best shooting slugs. There are a ton of variables in tuning for slugs, how your barrel was prepped, reg. pressure/HS relationship, your particular tune, your particular liner quality, etc... I never discount other people’s results, you just never know. These are just the things I’ve found that either contribute to accuracy with slugs or don’t. I’ve tested AVS, FX, Griffin, NSA, Varmint Knocker, AONCO, Rat Sniper, and others to a lesser degree with both the 600 and 700mm Slug A liner, the Superior liner and even the STX liner before I got a Slug A liner. I hope something I’ve shared here helps at least a little.

One other thing. I haven’t posted any slug tuning info in quite a while but last year and the year before, I used to post my slug result pretty often. If you do a search of my old posts, you should be able to find a lot of useful information on .25 slugs.

Have a good one! Stoti

Stoti great post,

I remember all of the testing you were doing thanks so much for that. I only tested a few slugs and did not test nearly as in depth as you. No sizing at all and only sorted by weight. The NSA slugs I tested were all prelubed and I would expect the VK's shot immediately after would have benefited from this or were also lubed. 

In my lower fps testing groups fell apart at ranges much over 100 yards and were downright ugly by 150. Because of this my best recommended speeds were very close to yours 880-960fps with 980fps groups starting to degrade a little. With lower speeds being OK only if one did not need much over 100 yards. I edited my reply above to include this. 

Although the lighter NSA .249 slugs shot fairly well the 33.5-38.5 .250's and VK 34gr shot a bit better from my gun.

Biohazard—-Nothing but love for ya brotha. Not refuting anything you said. This stuff can be fickle. I’ve seen stuff I normally wouldn’t have believed and other times simply can’t explain some of the results Ive experienced! Lol

Drumsnguns—- My favorite lube is the silicone formula WD-40 in the silver, blue and yellow can. There are a lot of great lubes out there but I like this one because it’s easy to apply and works! I dump the slugs on a paper towel, squirt some lubricant on them, dump the towel and slugs in a zip loc, shake it around, dump it on a clean paper towel, wipe them off a bit and then shoot.
I’ve also just squirted some in a tin, shook it around, sprayed a little more on the foam lid liner and called it good. As long as they’re lightly coated, you’re fine, just do t soak them!

Have a good one guys! Stoti

Biohazard also stori, have always inspired and intrigued me they’re experience and are good people willing to reach out and give you all the information you may need. I believe that they truly have more experience than myself, and my friend that has an identical gun to mine has been dealing with different results. In short all guns are a little different but the most smallest adjustments can result in the biggest gain.

Do you find it needs more power than a slug liner to drive them? I've heard the heavy liners have a really tight choke. And a tight/short leade.

yes there is a 30-40 FPS speed difference between the slug liner and superior/heavy. My understanding is the lands are pressed in deeper which bakes the entire barrel tighter, no sure about the choke because I haven’t found any information on the choke. 

with my .25 slug liner the nsa .249 slugs shot like crap but they shot great with the superior heavy liner. 

If I want to get into the slug world should a look for the slug a liner or the new superior heavy liner?

which ammo and which caliber? They all have different preferences.

in .25 if you want to shoot nsa .249 slugs then superior, .250 in 33 and 35 grain the slug A.

in .22 or .217 superior is great but haven’t tried slug a or superior heavy in .22 but people had great luck with .22 slug liner. 

If I want to get into the slug world should a look for the slug a liner or the new superior heavy liner?

which ammo and which caliber? They all have different preferences.

in .25 if you want to shoot nsa .249 slugs then superior, .250 in 33 and 35 grain the slug A.

in .22 or .217 superior is great but haven’t tried slug a or superior heavy in .22 but people had great luck with .22 slug liner.

.25 caliber and undecided on ammo currently shooting the 33.95gr pellets but when I tested slugs they didn't do so hot, it was a minor test so looking for more info before I go deeper.

In .25 you have limited ammo selection so might make your choice easier. If you want to shoot NSA slugs superior liner will probably be your most versatile unless you shoot the really heavy slugs. But they are also most difficult to find at the moment hence the reason I have the superior heavy liner. 

if you want to shoot lighter nsa .249 slugs then superior has proven to be best and superior heavy shoots them great also according to my experience.

33 and 35 grain nsa .250 slugs proven to be very accurate in slug A and from my experience very well in superior heavy also. Superior liner will likely shoot them well too, someone else can chime in on that.

In theory superior heavy will be best with the really heavy/long slugs or 42 grain and heavier slugs because longer the projectile faster it needs to spin to be stable. 

my experience is with NSA slugs because they are the cheapest and pre-lubed. So yes, I’m cheap and lazy!