Which rifle for Squirrels do you like the best?

I'm a walk & stalk hunter when it comes to squirrels, so I love hunting them with my .25 Wildcat!

Sq.JPG

I'm a walk & stalk hunter when it comes to squirrels, so I love hunting them with my .25 Wildcat!

View attachment 353465
Nice bunch of reds. I miss hunting red squirrels. There used to be mostly reds here and over the years it seems the greys
have replaced them. Greys do not stand still long enough for a clean shot unless they are chewing on hickory nuts. Reds will play hide and seek
with you as they hide on the other side of the tree. Tossing a branch on the other side of the tree usually does the trick.
Again, nice haul.

Doc

Nice bunch of reds. I miss hunting red squirrels. There used to be mostly reds here and over the years it seems the greys
have replaced them. Greys do not stand still long enough for a clean shot unless they are chewing on hickory nuts. Reds will play hide and seek
with you as they hide on the other side of the tree. Tossing a branch on the other side of the tree usually does the trick.
Again, nice haul.

Doc
I think they’re eastern fox squirrels. I know because I shoot a lot of them here in the Denver area. They’re the only tree squirrels we have in the (non-foothills) metro area.

Reactions: Doc C.
You are correct. What we call Red squirrels are actually American Fox Squirrels. They are the largest of the tree dwelling squirrels in this part of North America.
The greys are Eastern Grey Squirrels. The red fur around the face miss led a lot of folks to believe they were hybrids of Western Greys and Fox squirrels.

Both are tasty with dumplings. The fox\reds are much larger and I think the meat is more tender.

Reactions: darylm