• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Which rifle for Squirrels do you like the best?

Not trying to step on toes lol, but I think you should be able to squirrel hunt without taking about a loan, I'm very much a budget airgunner. Qb79, bottle, scope and pump for less than $300 is plenty for tree rats if you want a pcp with lots of shots. But you can spend 3k easily if you want!
Guilty!
I wanted an accurate and quiet air rifle to cull an abnormal number of tree rats. Started with a Brocock Atomic and then sold that to move up to a Ghost and figure i have 3K in my Ghost, moderator, scope and tripod. However, it's more than tree rats now, I like high-end air rifles and foresee spending more as I get into the sport.

I switch between my Wolverine in 177 and my BRK XR sniper in 22. Both are mostly backyard petting as neither are light weight for field work. I have a Uragan 25 that demolishes them but it’s too much for the back! I have an EVOL 22 coming in that I want to use for field hunting. I really like all of them so it’s hard to choose. The wolverine gets the most use simply because it’s the quietest.

Reactions: GWTW
I am fortunate to own several nice pcp’s and of them my fx wildcat mklll compact in 22 with a zero db moderator just hits all the marks. Light, accurate, and packs a punch.
IMG_1129.jpeg

Reactions: Jlowe and GWTW
I have really enjoyed this Weihrauch HW100S. It's a .22 caliber, very accurate with the 18 grain JSB Heavies. Fourteen shots per magazine, 28 per 200 Bar fill, 38 ft lbs of muzzle energy, excellent trigger, slick action and very quiet shooting.
View attachment 351578
I love quiet, that way another squirrel in the area would not be alerted to my hunting activities

My go to killer is my gamo whisper fusion mach 1 .22 . It's lite, strong , hits where i aim, and my most comfortable sholdering gun. Aka. squirrel woods thug. Check gamo outlet for a 150$ referb.. no scoped .22. When in stock. They go fast when in. It'll lay the smack down on'em ..Whop! ..lol🤤

You dont see them other guys having one ?

Oh heck your in Arkansas.. how bout this you could check out The 2023 Arkansas Big Squirrel Challenge
Jan. 13, 2023

Yes I have seen those challenges. Maybe I can hold one of those squirrel trophies in 2024

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
I love quiet, that way another squirrel in the area would not be alerted to my hunting activities
Well, When I'm sitting in the woods and shoot a squirrel I do not get up and pick it up. So often a curious squirrel comes to see what the sound was. Usually a young one. Even with a .22 RF. I even had a buck come see once and then made a loop around me. Keeping some brush between us as they tend to do. Had more shooting action (with the .22 rf) while he circled me but he still came for a second look. Animals are curious and generally have no idea what the sound of a shot is. I've even had squirrels come to investigate the sound of my phone ringing.

Well its a toss up for me. I really enjoy prowling the woods with my Benjamin Marauder Pistol. It packs a pretty decent punch. I've dropped them at over 60+ yards with it on numerous occasions. My .177 caliber Benjamin Discovery would be my back up I suppose. It's bone stock except for an SSG and sling studs. But I've killed the most squirrels with my .177 Crosman Storm XT break barrel than any other airgun. But come to think of it I've killed a bunch with my 1377 and 1322 pistols. So I guess it's gonna be hard for me to narrow it down to just one.:)
:)
Ray

SQUIRREL_HUNT_11-13-20_.jpg

Short Storm.jpg

CAMO_22.JPG

I have a question. I currently shoot squirrels (head shots) with any of my 3 .22s. But they bleed all over the place from head shots, and I have to clean it up because it’s in our landscape rocks. I was thinking of using my Uragan 2 600 in .25 (which has lots of power!) for heart/lung shots in hopes of less blood. But is a 50+ ft/lb shot enough to drop them dead on the spot? I’m surrounded by neighbors and I don’t want a tree rat heading back over the fence to die in their yards with a hole shot through it.