• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

which pistol for hunter field target?

Not that i'm lefty ... For years have shot pistol FT and tried many scopes for the task. Few years ago spend some time with scope I've had for near 10 years finding that 35y and under parrilax ranged good or better than a lot of SF parrilax optics. Thus it was used for my PFT work exclusively.

You can see that the rotation to yard separation is very good at closer ranges, yet still remains good to 35y making it an ideal optic for PFT and being a lefty with OBJECTIVE FOCUSED for Parrilax and NOT a left side wheel/knob
Scope is a HAWKE PANORAMA 4-12x50AO 10x 1/2 mil-dot.

d.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: drsquall

Like this one better
Just NO illumination IF needing it ?
If shooting venues are open being generally bright and not deep woods & under low lighting a non issue.
Second being the reticle ... it needs to be pretty fine and of 1/2 mil-dot resolution if shooting hunter.
If shooting LIMITED FT pistol and turret clicking ? less an issue.

I agree the 1720 is extremely accurate and a great choice for pistol FT. I sold mine to a buddy and he loves it too. The only reason I sold mine is that I have an HW44 which is just a little bit more accurate but marginally better. The only down side of the HW44 is that you have to cut down the moderator to meet the over all length since it violates the rules. You also have to de-tune it a little as mine was shooting 13.5 ft lbs originally. After I shortened the moderator it increased to about 15 ft lbs.. I had it tuned by a technician to get the power back down under 12 ft lbs. That is what you would need to do to the HW44 to be able to use for pistol FT. I will add that my HW44 is about 3 years old, I do not know if current production design has changed the OAL or the power output to be more in line with the rules. Best wishes on what you decide. You can't go wrong with the 1720 if you can find one.
P.S. I shoot my HW44 from a bench at silhouette animals very accurately out to 70-80 yards. Amazingly accurate!
Thx
Dan
How did you cut down the moderator? Did you need a tap for the tube? If so what size tap? 1”x24 or 1”x27. Also to get down to <12fpe, what was adjusted? Hammer spring? Thanks for any info

A little disclosure after looking at my post.... it did not violate the overall length. The issue was a 15" max. length rule for the barrel including attachments. I think it was about a half inch too long or perhaps a little longer than that but less than an inch IIRC. Once the moderator was cut, I discovered that the shorter moderator bumped up the power to about 15 ft lbs. After about a tin of pellets, the epoxy that the machinist used to glue in the end cap let go and my end cap went flying out of my yard. I could not find it but the tube was a smooth ID. I shipped it to another machinist in Colorado that I knew that said he could fix it with a real high grade epoxy and he machined a new end cap for me with a groove in the end cap and he put it back together. He said that epoxy that he used would not let go. Still going strong a few years later.
For the tuning, I had a tough time finding anyone that had any experience with the HW44. I understand it is somewhat complex to tune. I dont think that person does it anymore so I can't help with a tuner to get you under 12 ft lbs. I think if I shot 7.33 pellets I could get just under 12 ft lbs when new. But I wanted to shoot the 10.34 since they shoot lights out. Once you shorten the moderator, I doubt that you wull get under 12 ft lbs, even with 7.33 pellets. You will just have to try to see who you can find. I know I tried motorhead and a few other good tuners on AGN but struck out finding anyone willing to give it a try.
I could suggest that if you bought a new pistol that the dealer may be able to perform those modifications for you to meet the rules. Not sure if they will but they may be willing to for the sale! I am sure it will cost you a couple hundred dollars extra on top of the new cost.
I wish you the best on your journey and glad to answer any questions that I can but as I mentioned I shipped it out for the modifications so I cant help much with how to do it. It would be nice if HW would redesign the HW44 so you can compete right out of the box!
P.S. Let me know if you find someone to detune the HW44 as I need to have mine resealed as it just started to lose air overnight.
Thx
Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: BWAGS
A little disclosure after looking at my post.... it did not violate the overall length. The issue was a 15" max. length rule for the barrel including attachments. I think it was about a half inch too long or perhaps a little longer than that but less than an inch IIRC. Once the moderator was cut, I discovered that the shorter moderator bumped up the power to about 15 ft lbs. After about a tin of pellets, the epoxy that the machinist used to glue in the end cap let go and my end cap went flying out of my yard. I could not find it but the tube was a smooth ID. I shipped it to another machinist in Colorado that I knew that said he could fix it with a real high grade epoxy and he machined a new end cap for me with a groove in the end cap and he put it back together. He said that epoxy that he used would not let go. Still going strong a few years later.
For the tuning, I had a tough time finding anyone that had any experience with the HW44. I understand it is somewhat complex to tune. I dont think that person does it anymore so I can't help with a tuner to get you under 12 ft lbs. I think if I shot 7.33 pellets I could get just under 12 ft lbs when new. But I wanted to shoot the 10.34 since they shoot lights out. Once you shorten the moderator, I doubt that you wull get under 12 ft lbs, even with 7.33 pellets. You will just have to try to see who you can find. I know I tried motorhead and a few other good tuners on AGN but struck out finding anyone willing to give it a try.
I could suggest that if you bought a new pistol that the dealer may be able to perform those modifications for you to meet the rules. Not sure if they will but they may be willing to for the sale! I am sure it will cost you a couple hundred dollars extra on top of the new cost.
I wish you the best on your journey and glad to answer any questions that I can but as I mentioned I shipped it out for the modifications so I cant help much with how to do it. It would be nice if HW would redesign the HW44 so you can compete right out of the box!
P.S. Let me know if you find someone to detune the HW44 as I need to have mine resealed as it just started to lose air overnight.
Thx
Dan
Thanks for the info, appreciate the time you took to reply, thanks, Brian

I use a 1701P on an FT rifle course.

During ranging I found the pistol does not produce the energy required to consistently knockdown targets past 40 yards.

When on a FT rifle course, I only engage targets that I range at 35 yards or less.

A two weeled Zuca cart toting a small backpack will carry a pony bottle, your pistol and all your other other FT needs.

Reactions: drsquall
My 1701P has a Weaver Crosman rear sight that I upgraded from the Weaver Patridge to a Weaver Ghost Ring. The Ghost Ring helps center the front post in low light, when in the woods.

When using optics I mount a UTG pistol scope with an acrylic Gost Ring in the rear lens cover. The gost Ring removes parallax at all ranges as long as you reduce magnification as range decreases.

Does USFT still make their pistol? I don't see it on their website.

Thanks
Jon
I don't think Tim has made any USFT pistols. I begged LD to make a pistol for years and he finally did make 4 of them over time. I own two of them.. three at one time until LD wanted one back in a trade.
I would argue that it's as good as any Thomas out there and would go head to head anytime to see:) I won the 2021 National Champions with mine.

But if enough of you lobbied Tim, he might decide to get some parts together and make them... at about half the price of a Thomas.

Wayne