• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

which pistol for hunter field target?

Wait a cotton-picking-second, Sasquatch; are you referring to when I broke Ron’s will by lane 6? @AirNGasman Yeah, he and his Wolvy bit a little more off than they could chew, challenging me and the C2 Tac‼️Served up some humble pie 🥧 that the Neanderthal ate up. I bet a Sasquatch such as yourself ( the Texas, very intellectually challenged, very smelly variety ), would love some humble pie as well. Come get a Tenacious helping baby boy. Bring your daddy Jeff C. to help, you’ll need it 😃

It's pretty obvious from ZX's tone (above) who challenged who to a duel. And though I don't pick fights, neither do I avoid them.

I'm not ashamed to admit Z kicked my butt... this time. However every match is a new day, and I've been known to occasionally give as good as I get.

Being the superhumanly-HUMBLE person I am:rolleyes:, I'll close by saying I'm honored to (occasionally) be bested by a skilled and astute student. Oh, and...

"Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in while." :ROFLMAO:

Yes, Cole; we Texans do have a lot of fun. Most of it at one-another's expense!🤬

And if it's not yet obvious, I run with a rough bunch'a outlaws. Even the little squirts!

I'm starting to suspect all my friends might be exposed a VERY BAD INFLUENCE. And if I find out who that is... I'll kick his a**!👊

Reactions: SqrlHntr
As a Club Match Director ... I only wish folks would challenge them self shooting a PISTOL on the Rifles 55y course !!!
Being a club match, could honestly care less on optics fitted and going unlimited etc ...
The big "IF" for anyone doing so, they had better have worked out how to get VERY very stable :p

Scott S
SVFTC MD
I do that periodically. At the 2017 AAFTA National match, I used my pistol in the rifle match. With no bipod. It’s like shooting WFTF with a low power scope, and no support aids. My score was nothing to brag about.

Last edited:
What is also fun and still very challenging, is shooting a 20 FP limited pistol at an AAFTA rifle match. It’s our pistol Extreme FT tools. Truly an uphill battle to get 75% or better at an AAFTA rifle course. Here’s my .20 that, if I can ever do my part, can rise to the top. Very accurate with JSB 13.73 grainers at 805 fps. It’s a BRK Commander converted. Thank you Bobby C.!

84828611-B46D-4BCF-B2F7-79951E4CBB01.jpeg

I really like shooting pistol. In my opinion, it amplifies deficiencies, thus putting your needed improvements under a magnifying glass! It’s not for the faint of heart. You have to fight through frustrations for sure and often ask yourself, "can your ego really handle this thrashing"! My answer is, "self, suck it up and buckle down. You got this 👊!"

I do like AAFTA Pistol as well but you can’t hardly find any matches. Here's my PP700 I use for that ( one match ever ). I’ve installed a Huma reg and it has a LW barrel. Y’all be good.

574CB36C-3A95-436F-9B0C-2D3D4EB23B97.jpeg

A846413D-C6CA-4C54-B058-5886C1CD2EA5.jpeg

Last edited:
It's pretty obvious from ZX's tone (above) who challenged who to a duel. And though I don't pick fights, neither do I avoid them.

I'm not ashamed to admit Z kicked my butt... this time. However every match is a new day, and I've been known to occasionally give as good as I get.

Being the superhumanly-HUMBLE person I am:rolleyes:, I'll close by saying I'm honored to (occasionally) be bested by a skilled and astute student. Oh, and...

"Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in while." :ROFLMAO:

Yes, Cole; we Texans do have a lot of fun. Most of it at one-another's expense!🤬

And if it's not yet obvious, I run with a rough bunch'a outlaws. Even the little squirts!

I'm starting to suspect all my friends might be exposed a VERY BAD INFLUENCE. And if I find out who that is... I'll kick his a**!👊
Correct, I official challenged you. Are we gonna start being truthful now? That's not always the most fun ( but is needed)................ That said, your demeaner, accolades, brags and mere presence seems like a constant open challenge as far as shooting disciplines go. I'd accept that as a compliment!

I'm actually honored to shoot against you each and every time. Here’s to our next meeting ;) !!

Last edited:
.177 barrel. The factory reg is okay but not good enough! This pistol is excellent. It is very accurate and super consistent. I shoot the 10.3s at 715 fps.

WestHunter Optics WHT SFIR FFP Series Compact Riflescope, 1/10 Mil First Focal Plane Red Illumination Etched Glass Reticle, 30mm Tube Tactical Precision Scope​

It’s actually a good pistol scope.

Created: 04/24/22 07:02 PM
Description: PP700 ninja
Notes 1:
Notes 2:
Distance to Chrono(FT): 1.00
Ballistic Coefficient: 0.030
Bullet Weight(gr): 10.30
Temp: N/A °F
BP: N/A inHg
Altitude: 120.00

Average: 713.9 FPS
SD: 3.4 FPS
Min: 708 FPS
Max: 719 FPS
Spread: 11 FPS

True MV: 716 FPS
FPE ~ 11.73

Last edited:
Shocking. A post from Ron that doesn't include a wall full of plaques and a seated photo of Derrick with his feet reaching the ground. Up is down, black is white. My world is topsy-turvy.

Internet buffoonery aside, I'll go on record to say that D is pretty much average height (for pre-industrial Europe), he just looks smaller next to my magnificent physique.
And Ron is one of the nicer and more humble guys you will meet. And they will both rip your heart out of your chest and eat it in front of you on the field target course, but they will be smiling as they do it.

I didn't want anyone that doesn't know us to think that there is any actual animosity here. Mean jokes are our love language.

What is also fun and still very challenging, is shooting a 20 FP limited pistol at an AAFTA rifle match. It’s our pistol Extreme FT tools. Truly an uphill battle to get 75% or better at an AAFTA rifle course. Here’s my .20 that, if I can ever do my part, can rise to the top. Very accurate with JSB 13.73 grainers at 805 fps. It’s a BRK Commander converted. Thank you Bobby C.!

View attachment 351579

I really like shooting pistol. In my opinion, it amplifies deficiencies, thus putting your needed improvements under a magnifying glass! It’s not for the faint of heart. You have to fight through frustrations for sure and often ask yourself, "can your ego really handle this thrashing"! My answer is, "self, suck it up and buckle down. You got this 👊!"

I do like AAFTA Pistol as well but you can’t hardly find any matches. Here's my PP700 I use for that ( one match ever ). I’ve installed a Huma reg and it has a LW barrel. Y’all be good.

View attachment 351592
View attachment 351597
Thanks
Yeah there is no real AAFTA pistol matches here in Oklahoma. The OKC group does monthly rifle matches and XFT as well so I will just shoot those. Thats why I will try to stay close to 20fpe. I am looking hard at the pathfinder.

Thanks again
Jon

Correct, I official challenged you. Are we gonna start being truthful now? That's not always the most fun ( but is needed)................ That said, your demeaner, accolades, brags and mere presence seems like a constant open challenge as far as shooting disciplines go. I'd accept that as a compliment!

I'm actually honored to shoot against you each and every time. Hears to our next meeting ;) !!

In some cases, occasionally, once in a great while, my boasting is used as a motivational tool for other shooters... to wanna kick my a**! That's the truth. That tool works extremely well on you; right? So yes, of course I take your compliment(s) as compliment.

Sure didn't take long to realize you're incapable of MERCY on the fields of competition!🤕 But you should be ashamed yourself for bludgeoning a SENILE OLD MAN... at every opportunity!😂

By the way, from what I can tell that line to kick my a** grows longer all the time. I take that as quite a compliment, because at my age I take compliments when and where I can find them...

Or imagine them!🥴

Shocking. A post from Ron that doesn't include a wall full of plaques and a seated photo of Derrick with his feet reaching the ground. Up is down, black is white. My world is topsy-turvy.

Internet buffoonery aside, I'll go on record to say that D is pretty much average height (for pre-industrial Europe), he just looks smaller next to my magnificent physique.
And Ron is one of the nicer and more humble guys you will meet. And they will both rip your heart out of your chest and eat it in front of you on the field target course, but they will be smiling as they do it.

I didn't want anyone that doesn't know us to think that there is any actual animosity here. Mean jokes are our love language.

Hey Bud, don't let that "Ron is one of the nicer and more humble guys you will meet" 💩 get out; it'll ruin my reputation!🤬

BTW, don't sell yourself short with that "magnificent physique" understatement, SC. TRUTH IS, the dude's an animal Y'all! 🦧

But the bigger truth is, "Mean jokes are our love language". Oh, and, believe it or not, adolescent humor is the highest form of humor and INTELLIGENCE known to Man.🥸

Women don't get it.🤷‍♀️

Idea and thoughts
What about getting a dreamline lite compact with bottle and taking the stock off? The barrel is only 12" and I think it would be short enough overall length. I will be shooting hunter class pistol with the 20 fpe limit and then I could use it for extreme ft as well. What do you think? I think it would work.

Thanks
Jon
12 fpe max for pistols rifle hunter class is 20 fpe

Reactions: drsquall
12 fpe max for pistols rifle hunter class is 20 fpe
True but we don't do pistol matches here so I would shoot the normal rifle match distances with the pistol so a higher fpe in 177 is what I would like so I could play and if I ever make it to Ron's match I could use it for extreme pistol. I would be the only one with a pistol there.

View attachment 351579

View attachment 351592
View attachment 351597
Showin the PP700's some love.
.20 cal able to do >12 fpe or >20 fpe pending reg pressure & HST setting.

b.jpg

Reactions: qball and zx10wall
I really like that a lot. Do you like the 20cal for hft,
In more recent years, many in Pistol FT have gone away from @ 8.4 g weights for the heavier 10.3 g for less wind drift. At 12 fpe that is quite a slow down and loopier trajectory in trade ... huh.
In .20 cal while we do have H&N FTT being a 11.4 g weight and may work pretty well, the supreme .20 JSB 13.7 still reigns king for the best BC in the range.
In a Pistol at >12fpe the JSB .20's need to be @ 625 fps which while doable 35y and under, are still loopier yet than 10.3's shot @ 720 fps or 8.4's @ 790 fps
Bigger caliber pellet still gets more splits than smaller ... heavier weights buck winds better than lighter. Pick your trade offs :unsure:

In the 8+ years I've shot 12fpe FT pistol, my most successful years have been with 10.3 g .177's @ 710/720 fps
In the 10+ Years I've shot 20 fpe FT Rifle ..... most successful years have been with 13.7 g .20's @ 800 fps

Just looking for a sustainable edge 🙄
I'm just experimenting at this stage with .20's at this lower power.

In more recent years, many in Pistol FT have gone away from @ 8.4 g weights for the heavier 10.3 g for less wind drift. At 12 fpe that is quite a slow down and loopier trajectory in trade ... huh.
In .20 cal while we do have H&N FTT being a 11.4 g weight and may work pretty well, the supreme .20 JSB 13.7 still reigns king for the best BC in the range.
In a Pistol at >12fpe the JSB .20's need to be @ 625 fps which while doable 35y and under, are still loopier yet than 10.3's shot @ 720 fps or 8.4's @ 790 fps
Bigger caliber pellet still gets more splits than smaller ... heavier weights buck winds better than lighter. Pick your trade offs :unsure:

In the 8+ years I've shot 12fpe FT pistol, my most successful years have been with 10.3 g .177's @ 710/720 fps
In the 10+ Years I've shot 20 fpe FT Rifle ..... most successful years have been with 13.7 g .20's @ 800 fps

Just looking for a sustainable edge 🙄
I'm just experimenting at this stage with .20's at this lower power.
Well, I have always had piston guns in it for hunting because it was a hammer on squirrels and the guns were easy to shoot in it. I'm just getting into this game and currently shoot a tx but I am adding a gen 1 marauder in 20 regulated to play with for hft rifle. I just bought a pistol from Ron for eft and looking for a pp700 to play with.

Thanks
Jon

The problem is that I will only be shooting rifle matches with it. No one shoots pistol and I don't blame the MDs for just sitting up for our monthly match a rifle course, I would be the same way. So I will not be following the 12power or 12fpe rules when shooting at the match. So a 20cal close to 20fpe sounds awesome in a pistol.

Last edited: