• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

which pistol for hunter field target?

I really like the Brocock Atomix, is it good to go out the box.

Thanks
Jon
I have the atomic and the concept love them both you can have a rifle or pistol in a matter of a couple minutes with lots of adjustability on the atomic ,3 power settings plus hammer tension adj. For ft a good gun a little heavy but easy to rest on leg or sticks plus good shot count on lower power,shoots jsb ,H&M’s hole in hole 8s or 10gr

I have the atomic and the concept love them both you can have a rifle or pistol in a matter of a couple minutes with lots of adjustability on the atomic ,3 power settings plus hammer tension adj. For ft a good gun a little heavy but easy to rest on leg or sticks plus good shot count on lower power,shoots jsb ,H&M’s hole in hole 8s or 10gr
That's where I leaning because if I decide that pistol is too much then I can make it a carbine and shoot matches with it that way. I have to be honest the huntsman safari rifle is really tugging on me. Lol

Thanks
Jon

Reactions: L.Leon
I'm throwing my hat in with everyone else that's on the 1720T bandwagon.......

4-18-2023 Pic 2.jpg
4-18-2023 Pic 1.jpg

Hello,
I went to watch my first hunter field target match at OKC and had a great time. I met some great folks who didn't mind me bugging them with questions and following them around. I learned a lot about the sport. I don't have a gun for this type of shooting currently so the process has begun on researching what to get. I know PCP rifle is the safe way to go but i do like springers but pistol is really tugging at my heart strings. I would be the only one shooting with a pistol and I would shoot the course like it was setup and not limit my shots to 35yds. I know it much harder but I like harder. The reason is I shot handgun silhouette and have always favored handguns over long guns. Is the crosman 1701 working good for it?
I will be using athlon Agros scope 6-24 mil(had it setting around). I know it sucks to be the only one shooting a particular way(I was a trad shooter before it became cool-lol) but I like to challenge myself.

Thanks
Jon
Jon,
You are not alone in wanting to shoot pistol in rifle matches.
I have done so many times.
I speak from experience as winning a few Pistol FT matches over the years.

My first recommendation is to check with your local match director.
Discuss what the MD will allow you to shoot.
The rules posted earlier are a great basis for shooting a pistol in that class. HOWEVER, with the new rules that some clubs have adopted (Unlimited Class?), you may want to consider other choices. Read on to understand where this is going.....

The 1720T as mentioned by Ron is an excellent choice. It is the same as a 1701P, but with a longer barrel and a larger air chamber. It is very accurate, it is 177 and can be shot at 12fpe as per the PFT rules.
The Marauder pistol in .22 is also another choice, amongst many others that you will hear about. Think of it as a 1720T in .22.
There are many options available for you, from the budget choices that I mentioned to the more expensive ones that others have.
Most any pistol under 12fpe and a 12X scope will fit into the AAFTA Hunter Pistol rules.

There are just a few simple rules that the MD will enforce, first, you will be limited to 20fpe, that's set-in stone, so as not to destroy targets, and of course, safety. An MD may allow more than 12fpe under Unlimited rules, but its best to check first.

As for me I shoot both a 1720T 12fpe & 12X, and a modified Marauder pistol in rifle matches. The .22 marauder shoots between 12 and 20FPE, has a 12X scope on top.
12fpe is not an issue in a 55yard rifle match, the WFTF shooters have a 12fpe limit. The issue will be with your 12x scope. You will not be able to range well at rifle distances. It will be a challenge for you when you combine the two. Not impossible.

Extreme FT rules dictate 20fpe and 12X scopes. Distances are provided, so ranging is not an issue, Right?

If you have a tank to bring along with you, you can bump the power up a bit, just fill between each lane of two. Easy Peasy. Thats what many pistol shooters do. Even at 12fpe, a fill every two lanes is smart.
The local match director might allow you to put a bigger scope on top under Unlimite rules. You will have to ask.

Enjoy!
Best regards,
Paul in N.TX

I was just about to mention Pablo but he beat me to it. He regularly shoots his pistol at rifle matches and he competes in the regular Hunter division. Meaning that he is competitive with the rifle shooters.
If it was me doing it all over again, I wouldn't get the 1720. The issue with the 1720 is it is very difficult to get it close to 20 fpe. It took a decent amount of work to get it to 12 fpe. I would get a pistol capable of shooting close to 20 fpe while sticking with 177. Then I would put a regular FT scope on it. You could use this rig to compete in Hunter division by turning the scope down to 16x. Then, on the rare occasions where you have a pistol match, you can turn it down to 12 fpe and turn the scope down the 12x. This would give you the most versatility. Hell, you could put a should stock on it, turn it down to 12 fpe and use it for WFTF.

The thing with guns (and scopes) is they are generally easy to lower the power, but difficult to raise the power past the original design. So it's better to start with a higher power gun (and scope) and turn it down rather than trying to start with something low powered and crank it up.

I was just about to mention Pablo but he beat me to it. He regularly shoots his pistol at rifle matches and he competes in the regular Hunter division. Meaning that he is competitive with the rifle shooters.
If it was me doing it all over again, I wouldn't get the 1720. The issue with the 1720 is it is very difficult to get it close to 20 fpe. It took a decent amount of work to get it to 12 fpe. I would get a pistol capable of shooting close to 20 fpe while sticking with 177. Then I would put a regular FT scope on it. You could use this rig to compete in Hunter division by turning the scope down to 16x. Then, on the rare occasions where you have a pistol match, you can turn it down to 12 fpe and turn the scope down the 12x. This would give you the most versatility. Hell, you could put a should stock on it, turn it down to 12 fpe and use it for WFTF.

The thing with guns (and scopes) is they are generally easy to lower the power, but difficult to raise the power past the original design. So it's better to start with a higher power gun (and scope) and turn it down rather than trying to start with something low powered and crank it up.

HAS EARTH REVERSED POLARITY?!?! 🥶🥵

A Scotten post not only completely devoid of adolescent humor (too bad), but makes perfect sense in every way on every point! About the only thing I can add is the reason Pablo beat you to it is because he's psychic... Correction- PSYCHO! 🤪

Look forward to seeing you tomorrow, SC; however we won't be able to squad together unless there are three-man squads. (For some inexplicable reason) another "shooter" wants to squad with me. Hint- he's the polar-opposite of you in physical stature...

But can hold his own in adolescent humor competitions.🤣 Here's hoping there are three-man squads; if so, shooting won't be the only competition going on.:eek:

A Scotten post not only completely devoid of adolescent humor (too bad), but makes perfect sense in every way on every point! About the only thing I can add is the reason Pablo beat you to it is because he's psychic... Correction- PSYCHO! 🤪

Look forward to seeing you tomorrow, SC; however we won't be able to squad together unless there are three-man squads. (For some inexplicable reason) another "shooter" wants to squad with me. Hint- he's the polar-opposite of you in physical stature...

But can hold his own in adolescent humor competitions.🤣 Here's hoping there are three-man squads; if so, shooting won't be the only competition going on.:eek:
The Sasquatch, the Gnome and the Neanderthal.

• Haha
Reactions: AirNGasman
As a Club Match Director ... I only wish folks would challenge them self shooting a PISTOL on the Rifles 55y course !!!
Being a club match, could honestly care less on optics fitted and going unlimited etc ...
The big "IF" for anyone doing so, they had better have worked out how to get VERY very stable :p

Scott S
SVFTC MD

You boys made a cute couple Saturday, but I thought it was a little odd seeing Ron carry D-Wall around in a baby bjorn. Some real Thunderdome vibes out there.

That's where I leaning because if I decide that pistol is too much then I can make it a carbine and shoot matches with it that way. I have to be honest the huntsman safari rifle is really tugging on me. Lol

Thanks
Jon
I have the Brocock Atomic XR with an Athelon Argos scope. Super accurate with JSB 10.3s or the QYS 9.56 pellets. As a pistol or carbine a rock solid air rifle. Great for gkids and smaller people as a carbine with adjustable stock. A great little carbine for pest control or targets. We consistently shoot 1/10th scale silhouette targets at 45 yds as family and friend competition.

I think I have it narrowed down between either Brocock pathfinder,atomic and raw micro hunter. It looks like the Brocock is easier to tune and looks to be higher energy to begin with(pathfinder) so I could tune it down for matches if I wanted to. Since I will be shooting locally in hunter and be the only one probably I will just keep it under 20fpe and go have fun. Still researching.

SVFTC MD
[/QUOTE]
As a Club Match Director ... I only wish folks would challenge them self shooting a PISTOL on the Rifles 55y course !!!
Being a club match, could honestly care less on optics fitted and going unlimited etc ...

We started this a few months back and its turned into a regular thing. Started as practice for ron’s pistol matches and its catching on quickly.

Reactions: Billinoregon
You boys made a cute couple Saturday, but I thought it was a little odd seeing Ron carry D-Wall around in a baby bjorn. Some real Thunderdome vibes out there.
Wait a cotton-picking-second, Sasquatch; are you referring to when I broke Ron’s will by lane 6? @AirNGasman Yeah, he and his Wolvy bit a little more off than they could chew, challenging me and the C2 Tac‼️Served up some humble pie 🥧 that the Neanderthal ate up. I bet a Sasquatch such as yourself ( the Texas, very intellectually challenged, very smelly variety ), would love some humble pie as well. Come get a Tenacious helping baby boy. Bring your daddy Jeff C. to help, you’ll need it 😃

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: L.Leon
Wait a cotton-picking-second, Sasquatch; are you referring to when I broke Ron’s will by lane 6? @AirNGasman Yeah, he and his Wolvy bit a little more off than they could chew, challenging me and the C2 Tac‼️Served up some humble pie 🥧 that the Neanderthal ate up. I bet a Sasquatch such as yourself ( the Texas, very intellectually challenged, very smelly variety ), would love some humble pie as well. Come get a Tenacious helping baby boy. Bring your daddy Jeff C. to help, you’ll need it 😃
I don't know who hacked my sweet, tiny friend's account, but I'll find out who you are and serve up some frontier justice!