• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

which pistol for hunter field target?

drsquall

Jul 22, 2022
OK
Hello,
I went to watch my first hunter field target match at OKC and had a great time. I met some great folks who didn't mind me bugging them with questions and following them around. I learned a lot about the sport. I don't have a gun for this type of shooting currently so the process has begun on researching what to get. I know PCP rifle is the safe way to go but i do like springers but pistol is really tugging at my heart strings. I would be the only one shooting with a pistol and I would shoot the course like it was setup and not limit my shots to 35yds. I know it much harder but I like harder. The reason is I shot handgun silhouette and have always favored handguns over long guns. Is the crosman 1701 working good for it?
I will be using athlon Agros scope 6-24 mil(had it setting around). I know it sucks to be the only one shooting a particular way(I was a trad shooter before it became cool-lol) but I like to challenge myself.

Thanks
Jon

My little bit of info gathering for you as well🎩🤙

Screenshot_20230409_202344_OneDrive.jpg

Screenshot_20230409_212433_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: drsquall
I see a lot of guys doing extremely well with 1720T's, but you'd have to find a used one since they are discontinued.

I always shot my Falcon FN8 for PFT. Did reasonably well with it. Generally shot between 70-80% before PFT really fell off the map at a lot of major GPs (i.e. PAC).

.177 is definitely advisable due to the trajectory advantage it has over .22 and .25 at 12 FPE.

Whenever the "which gun" question comes up, I think the general response should be: "find something accurate and reliable that scratches your ergonomic and aesthetic itch and practice with that gun." Lots of people do really well with a variety of different platforms.

Hello,
I went to watch my first hunter field target match at OKC and had a great time. I met some great folks who didn't mind me bugging them with questions and following them around. I learned a lot about the sport. I don't have a gun for this type of shooting currently so the process has begun on researching what to get. I know PCP rifle is the safe way to go but i do like springers but pistol is really tugging at my heart strings. I would be the only one shooting with a pistol and I would shoot the course like it was setup and not limit my shots to 35yds. I know it much harder but I like harder. The reason is I shot handgun silhouette and have always favored handguns over long guns. Is the crosman 1701 working good for it?
I will be using athlon Agros scope 6-24 mil(had it setting around). I know it sucks to be the only one shooting a particular way(I was a trad shooter before it became cool-lol) but I like to challenge myself.

Thanks
Jon

As the founder of pistol field target competition, I have answered your question dozens of times Jon.

No, a 1701P is not a good choice for pistol FT. It's too small, too lightweight, too weak shooting, and too little chamber volume to return a decent shot count; especially if souped up enough for FT. You will not break a double-digit score on a rifle FT course with a 1701P, no matter how good a pistol shot you are. You won't enjoy it!

The Crosman 1720T is the best choice for pistol FT you can get
... unless you're willing to "invest" over $1000. I've been responsible for something over ten new pistol FT shooters buying 1720Ts, and have only heard of one that wasn't hugely impressed.

BTW, the Crosman/Benjamin PCP pistols are also the easiest airguns to work on and soup up on planet Earth.

Happy Shooting,
Ron

AAP new cover small.jpg

As the founder of pistol field target competition, I have answered your question dozens of times Jon.

No, a 1701P is not a good choice for pistol FT. It's too small, too lightweight, too weak shooting, and too little chamber volume to return a decent shot count; especially if souped up enough for FT. You will not break a double-digit score on a rifle FT course with a 1701P, no matter how good a pistol shot you are. You won't enjoy it!

... unless you're willing to "invest" over $1000. I've been responsible for something over ten new pistol FT shooters buying 1720Ts, and have only heard of one that wasn't hugely impressed.

BTW, the Crosman/Benjamin PCP pistols are also the easiest airguns to work on and soup up on planet Earth.

Happy Shooting,
Ron

View attachment 348923
Thanks for the info. I guess i will start looking for a 1720 then.

Jon

Happy Shooting,
Ron

View attachment 348923
Just curious what is the 1,000 category.

thanks
Jon

"Just curious what is the 1,000 category."

I take that to mean the $1000 PLUS category, and AAFTA-style field target; not Extreme FT.

HW44, Brocock, customized Crosman/Benjamin, the Chinese PP700, (uber-expensive) Thomas, and I might be overlooking something that others will no doubt mention. The little $200 Chinese pistols won't do.
yes just field target not extreme. I am not a tinkerer or project type guy at all. I am just a shooter that wants to grab a gun and go shoot. Thats why i shot FA revolvers for silhouette because they were bomb proof and awesome guns and worked everytime, well unless you forgot to crimp your load and locked up a cylinder shooting your best match ever(dont ask, lol)

Thanks
Jon

"Just curious what is the 1,000 category."

I take that to mean the $1000 PLUS category, and AAFTA-style field target; not Extreme FT.

HW44, Brocock, customized Crosman/Benjamin, the Chinese PP700, (uber-expensive) Thomas, and I might be overlooking something that others will no doubt mention. The little $200 Chinese pistols won't do.
I really like the Brocock Atomix, is it good to go out the box.

Thanks
Jon

Reactions: bf1956 and L.Leon
I agree the 1720 is extremely accurate and a great choice for pistol FT. I sold mine to a buddy and he loves it too. The only reason I sold mine is that I have an HW44 which is just a little bit more accurate but marginally better. The only down side of the HW44 is that you have to cut down the moderator to meet the over all length since it violates the rules. You also have to de-tune it a little as mine was shooting 13.5 ft lbs originally. After I shortened the moderator it increased to about 15 ft lbs.. I had it tuned by a technician to get the power back down under 12 ft lbs. That is what you would need to do to the HW44 to be able to use for pistol FT. I will add that my HW44 is about 3 years old, I do not know if current production design has changed the OAL or the power output to be more in line with the rules. Best wishes on what you decide. You can't go wrong with the 1720 if you can find one.
P.S. I shoot my HW44 from a bench at silhouette animals very accurately out to 70-80 yards. Amazingly accurate!
Thx
Dan

Reactions: BWAGS and drsquall
I really like the Brocock Atomix, is it good to go out the box.

Thanks
Jon
The Brocock or HW 44 should be good to go with nothing more than (maybe) adjusting the power where you want it.

I'm with you on FA revolvers; but I went with .22 LR/WMR, so I could shoot it to my heart's content with nary a financial or loading-time cringe.

100 yd FA groups.JPG

The Brocock or HW 44 should be good to go with nothing more than (maybe) adjusting the power where you want it.

I'm with you on FA revolvers; but I went with .22 LR/WMR, so I could shoot it to my heart's content with nary a financial or loading-time cringe.

View attachment 349163
Very nice! I am still wanting their 22lr. All mine are the field grade. Silhouette in 357, and the rest 41.44.454,500 WE in standard barrel lengths. The 44 is scoped others have express sights. Well the 357 has FAs click rear sight. They are a gun that will be passed down to my kids and their kids.

I am looking hard at the Brocock it looks like you can tune it pretty easy.

Thanks
Jon

PS my next favorite pistol is the pachmeyer dominator

Reactions: L.Leon