• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Which pellet weight?

Hey all. I'm fairly new to air gunning and wanted to see what the popular opinion is on finding one pellet / weight to run. I have a .25 fx maverick sniper on the way and want to purchase pellets ahead of time. From what I gathered during my research is that this gun likes FX/JSB 25.39 and 34 grain pellets. My question is which of the two should I stock up on if I were going to tune it once for that weight? I will mostly be shooting paper at 50 - 100 yards but may take the occasional pest shot when the opportunity arises. My instinct tells me to go with the 34 grain pellets but I would like to hear everyone's thoughts that are familiar with these pellets / weights doing similar shooting. Thanks!

For target shooting they use the lighter ones and try to optimize the tune for accuracy. This gives the most shots per tank fill. For medium to large Critters I choose the 34 grain at around 900 ft per second so they still may have good terminal performance even if you have a bad shot. Giving up some accuracy for terminal performance.

Reactions: Sireal
I have no idea what a Maverick Sniper likes but I see Utah Air sells it as suitable for heavier pellets and slugs. Also I saw it has a 700 mm barrel. That should help getting heavier pellets or slugs up to speed. The Heavy would be the 34 grain. You might try a tin of the original and the MKII to start. But it may be useful to also remember that air arms and FX pellets are made by JSB and may shoot a little better or worse. So even if you limit yourself to 34 grain there are several varieties to test. And that is just JSBs. You could also test something like a Baracuda Match which is a little lighter but still a fairly heavy pellet.

So I'm guessing because you bought a long barreled gun this might be for target shooting and the 34 grain is going to give you a better bc so less movement in the wind than the lighter pellets. The heaver 25 caliber pellet would also be my choice if I wanted to regularly kill bigger animals like raccoons and possums, maybe coyotes. But for squirrels and rabbits you don't need 34 grain pellets. I shoot 20 grain FTTs in my P35-25 and it has flattened 16 of 18 squirrels so far. The other two fell within 15 feet. Only three of the 18 were not pass-throughs, the two who ran a little and one double shoulder shot that was DRT. So if you don't want to hunt bigger animals and/or target shoot at long range, you may want to get some lighter pellets. Like the 25.39 you mention, possibly the FX and AA flavors, and maybe even FTTs. The lighter pellets will get to useful velocity with less air so you won't have to fill as often and are very well suited to small game hunting and shorter range target work.

Reactions: Sireal
Personally, I wouldn't EVER "stock up" until I found the most accurate pellet type & weight of pellet! Airguns are incredibly finicky & idiosyncratic. What shoots superbly out of one gun might not even hit paper out of another of the exact same gun. I've seen it happen. After you've found which pellet can consistently & repeatedly deliver the accuracy you're looking for, then you can stock up.