Which PCP Compressor To Buy

Well, I can't afford the nice compressors, but I did spring for a Yong Heng a couple years ago. Quality lacks a bit as it spent 6 months waiting for parts off Ali Express, and when I got the parts in, couldn't remember how to put the reed valve back together. Thank heavens one (and only one) person did a tutorial on YouTube for the valve assembly.

If you get a Yong Heng, so many people tell you, gotta have about $500 in extra filters and dryers and extra cooling, etc. I have one extra filter and that's it. After a couple years using it, no issues with water, but I do live in Utah, in the Great Basin Desert. Dry air may just make a difference.

Anyway, choose carefully, buy the best your budget will allow. Service and parts are important because these things push a lot of air into a tiny space! The stresses are incredible and something is likely to break.

Of course, at under $350, you can buy one, and get a second as a spare and still save over most other options. I will say, they do work!

Good luck!

Totally agree. I now have an MCH6 compressor and feel that it will outlast me. But the Yong Heng that I've had for 2 years now still tops off my Great White tank to 4500 psi in just about 11 minutes. Similar to your setup, I use the stock small filter ahead of a Diablo filter and have had no moisture issues in the humid air of Arkansas. I still try to run it once a month or so just to keep it functional and it still works-every time. Cost/benefit for that small compressor has been excellent for me.

I am in the market for a 4500 PSI compressor. I was considering an Omega or Daystate LC-110. I will fill to a tank to fill my gun. 

After reading this forum, I am considering upgrading to the Coltri MCH6 3.5E. I am not a heavy user of air but would like a reliable compressor. 

I would appreciate any thoughts or concerns with this approach. Also, I would like any advice on accessories or spare parts I would need to have a functioning system. 

I am in the market for a 4500 PSI compressor. I was considering an Omega or Daystate LC-110. I will fill to a tank to fill my gun. 

After reading this forum, I am considering upgrading to the Coltri MCH6 3.5E. I am not a heavy user of air but would like a reliable compressor. 

I would appreciate any thoughts or concerns with this approach. Also, I would like any advice on accessories or spare parts I would need to have a functioning system.

Your logic is sound. An MCH-6 is an excellent choice. It save you set up time, run time, travel time, annual tank inspection fees, etc. The only maintenance is to change the oil annually using quality compressor oil and replacing the air filter cartridge every 40 hours. 40 hours on an MCH-6 will provide years of fills. It should be totally dependable for your entire ownership term. Run it at least monthly whether you need a fill or just to keep it lubricated and rust free inside. The other major benefit is that it will retain a very good percentage of it's original cost in resale value if you ever decide to sell. Omegas, Hatsan's, Air Venturi's, 12 volt portables, and the $300 and under Chinese pumps will only have value as paperweights. Their residual value will be minimal to zero.

I agree with Humdinger on the value of the MCH6. I have a gas powered version and it has been excellent. But I also have had excellent service from a Yong Heng for over 2 years. And I disagree with the "minimal to zero" statement on residual value for the other compressors. Much less residual value than an MCH6? Sure. But they cost much less initially and they will still have a percentage of value after use that is much higher than he believes, IMO.

I am considering upgrading to the Coltri MCH6 3.5E....

The 3.5E requires 3 phase electrical. The 3E uses single phase.

The single phase MCH6 is available in 115v or 230v. The 115v requires a minimum 29amp circuit. The 230v requires a minimum 17amp circuit. For home use, I’d recommend the 230v 3E. Best to call and consult with Nuvair to make sure you get the best configuration for your purposes.

Scotchmo - Thanks for the information. I have a "spare" 50 amp 3 phase circuit in my garage / workshop awaiting my someday purchase of a welder. I will definitely confirm the configuration before I order.

I run my MCH6 3E from my 50amp single phase outlet. Same as a welder plug. Are you sure you have 3 phase in your garage? 3 phase is very unusual in residential locations.

Scotchmo - Thanks for the follow-up. I believe you saved me a lot of money and time. The circuit does appear to be a 50 amp single phase as I have 208 volts across the hot legs. I will double check with an electrician friend before I buy. Thanks again. Great to have this site for help.

Some 3 phase configurations can be 208v to nuetral, so double check.

I thought I was immune to needing a compressor. But thanks to Covid, the local paint ball arena has closed. Along with that closure, it ended my cheap access to 4500 PSI air.

It is horrifying being in the market for a compressor. We have all seen an endless parade of "compressor messiahs" which were supposed to be reliable and fast. Almost all of them fell far short of their promise (or the companies which made them disappeared in the middle of the night). I would almost say it is time to go back to powder burners, but, we are also in the middle of a "bullet shortage" which has lasted over a year.

I have a garage full of shop equipment, and quite frankly don't have the space for a "pro grade" SCBA tank compressor. It seems almost odd that no company has yet designed a compressor which is reliable, and capable of filling a couple of tanks a week. Not quite a Dive-Shop level of use, but capable and trustworthy.

There are so many threads on this forum from members trying to get by with inexpensive compressors, just a little research will tell you that just doesn't work. Yet, that lesson is being learned the hard way everyday. Listen to the experienced guys, they know what they are talking about. There is no inexpensive solution. Get the right gear the first time and save money and grief.

There are so many threads on this forum from members trying to get by with inexpensive compressors, just a little research will tell you that just doesn't work. Yet, that lesson is being learned the hard way everyday. Listen to the experienced guys, they know what they are talking about. There is no inexpensive solution. Get the right gear the first time and save money and grief.

Yep, my YH that wotked great for over 2 years was a really poor investment. There ain't just one way.

I thought I was immune to needing a compressor. But thanks to Covid, the local paint ball arena has closed. Along with that closure, it ended my cheap access to 4500 PSI air.

It is horrifying being in the market for a compressor. We have all seen an endless parade of "compressor messiahs" which were supposed to be reliable and fast. Almost all of them fell far short of their promise (or the companies which made them disappeared in the middle of the night). I would almost say it is time to go back to powder burners, but, we are also in the middle of a "bullet shortage" which has lasted over a year.

I have a garage full of shop equipment, and quite frankly don't have the space for a "pro grade" SCBA tank compressor. It seems almost odd that no company has yet designed a compressor which is reliable, and capable of filling a couple of tanks a week. Not quite a Dive-Shop level of use, but capable and trustworthy.

It seems like there is pro grade and homeowner grade in all aspects of power tools. I'm a house painter by trade and have tried both pressure washers and spray rigs in both grades. Without going into the small things that went wrong with the homeowner grade equipment, these tools broke in 2-4 months, and I only used them once a week or two for longer periods of time. The pressure washers I was able to keep returning under warranty, and finally asked for a full refund. The spray rig I sold cheap to a guy that wanted to paint his own house. I paid around $400 for each tool to begin with. If these tools had lasted a year and hadn't had the small problems I might not have felt bad about buying them but I had down time and the hassle of dealing with them.

My experiment failed so I bit the bullet and bought commercial grade equipment. I paid $2200 for the Graco pressure washer and $900 for a small Graco spray rig. Both are still working. I bought them 7-8 years ago. Both are a bit tired and could use a rebuild but I'm happy I got them. I financed both on 0% interest which made it nice.

I only need to fill a tank every week or two in the summer, only once a month in the winter, so I'm hoping a truly commercial grade "small" compressor eventually comes out in the $1000 range. Fortunately I can have my tank filled when I go into town so I'm not in a big hurry but what happens often is I forget the tank, or don't want to go on the other side of town where the dive shop is, or don't want to wait at the dive shop the time it takes to get it filled, especially if there's other customers ahead of me. Oh and its $10 a fill.

Just don't be surprised when any sub $2500 NON COLTRI MCH6 (AT THE VERY MINIMUM!) fails if you simply got one that all the planet's weren't perfectly lined up when YOURS was manufactured that's all.

Several even got good use from their Air Venturi Avengerss no problems yet so there is hope just be one of the lucky buyers never mind the statistics. Life's a gamble and it's only money you can earn it back again and first hand learning from your financial mistakes is priceless. Cheaper and more meaningful to learn from a $2000 Daystate LC110 compressor lesson than paying for a college course on economics. The $300 Air Venturi Avenger class is a lot cheaper though.

I really think if the Yong Heng is only used to directly fill airguns and not huge tanks they may likely last a very long time especially filling a 2000psi Benjamin Maximus or Challenger or Discovery all rated at 2000psi max fill. Better yet the old Mac1 USFTs 1500 - 1550psi max fill.

Agree. But I have used mine regularly to top off a Great White over a 2 year period, regularly to 4400-4500. Surely another unit may have failed and maybe I got the best YH ever made but I highly doubt it. All relative but if used to only fill guns to 3000 (or even 3600 as my Condor CF tank uses) then as you state the YH life span should be longer.