Which optic for me & my Leshiy 2?

Just got my brand-new Leshiy 2 after a well-worth-it 6 month waiting period. I spent a good bit of that 6 months trying to figure out the best optic to cement the match between myself and this superb work of design and engineering. I am a smallish woman, who loves to target shoot - first with PBs, and for the last few years with airguns (which I actually find more challenging). Only rarely do I have the need to shoot a varmint, on the occasions when they flagrantly disregard the boundaries between their space and mine. (Like the time a red squirrel brazenly ripped a hole in my mother's patio screen door to access her bird food stock. A single head shot thoroughly clarified the distinction.)

This forum has by far the largest amount of relevant info, but I find that I've come full circle on what would be the best choice in my situation. So, here it is - smallish person, target shooter, 25 to 50 yards (maybe 100 soon?), mostly supported, sometimes offhand, rare hunting. Looking for something small & light, less than $2000. Red dot not great for my distance shooting. Variable or fixed? If variable, I think needs AO/short parallax, likely IR esp if FFP, but 2nd just fine too. The Veyron looked okay, but I can't tell about its quality. The Dedal 6 looks interesting but seems like it won't be around for the forseeable future.

Can anyone help me figure this out? Thank you in advance. This is definitely the most useful website in the AG community.

I suggest that you look at this scope which I believe you will like. https://us.hawkeoptics.com/airmax-30-sf-compact-4-16x44-amx-ir.html

IMG_0363 New mount 1-18-21.1614789976.jpg

I would say the Dedal Stalker would be perfect for the distances you would be shooting at. The only issue is the availability. It's been out of stock for awhile now. I already have one but I was thinking of picking up a second one. That's how much I like it. At least you have room for more options within your budget at $2000. For a compact scope, I went with a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20X50 F1 for my L2. Length is 12.1", weight is 28.6oz. It's not exactly light weight but there has to be some compromises for good glass and ruggedness. Price is around $1900 but you could probably find them cheaper for demo models or in the used market. It is Illuminated and the illumination is daytime bright if you're looking at darker objects especially on 2.5 power. Parallax is adjustable down to 11 yards so it makes it a good choice for airguns. If someone would make a LPVO with adjustable parallax down to 10 or 25 yards and with good turret tracking, I would be all over it. Here's my NF NX8 2.5-20X50 on my L2 .25/250mm setup. I also switch between my NF and an Aimpoint red dot for different shooting and to change things up. They are both on LaRue Tactical QD mounts for return to zero when I change between the two. 

20210118_173931.1614808225.jpg

20210104_145907.1614808568.jpg

20210104_150334.1614808923.jpg

I've researched short/light scopes for my own guns and finally had to make a specs list, because I demand a lot from a scope — it's got to have the right features.

So, here's my Scopes Specs Table for short/light scopes — and scopes that are 3-9x / 3-12x.

🔶

▪The specs table is divided into SFP and FFP.

▪All scopes have 10 yard side parallax — no front parallax (AO).

▪They all have holdoff reticles (no BDC, no simple crosshairs).

▪Most of them have exposed turrets.

🔶There are over 40 scopes in that table — surely some of them are totally NOT what you're looking for.

But some others might be....

Hope you find something that fits yuo and your gun! 👍🏼

Matthias

❌ Attachment: Scope Specs Table: Short/Light Scopes — and 3-9x/3-12x

download.png
View attachment SCOPE SPECS TABLE. For Short Scopes -and- 3-12x. 049. 2021-02.1614829244.pdf

For fast shooting I like my Athlon Helos G2 FFP 2-12x42 in mil. The center dot reticle is approx 1/4" at 25Y, 1/2" at 50Y, etc, which is smaller than the L2 will agg at. You can see the reticle on 2x because of the "circle of death" feature and the size of the dot as well. The illume works well for dark areas or black bulls. Everything about the scope is very nice, it's impressive unlike most scopes in it's price range. 

Pretty much the perfect scope for such pcp guns.

Many, many thanks to you guys for such a generous amount of information. This is an amazing amount of information. Thank you each. I have been looking carefully at each of these recommendations. The Hawke compact gets a lot of accolades. @Peskadot, those photos are gorgeous with your L2 wearing the 2 different optics. Great visuals. The Helos also looks really interesting. @Jungle, your spreadsheet is fantastic. I’ve run across some of your spreadsheets before on this forum. Really helpful. @Mballistics, I do like that prismatic

I’m going to settle in with my dogs, that spreadsheet and your all’s recommendations and come up with a plan. I hope to place an order tomorrow. I will let you know what I decide. 

What are your recommendations re: who to order from? I’m looking to buy this new. I’ve been checking out Dvor that ODoyle has mentioned - any of you have experience with them? Their prices are eye-catching. 

It was folly on my part to believe I could adequately analyze that amount of information and make a purchase decision within a day. I think @Peskadot said it best: "fitting the scope to the rifle for whatever purposes one might use it for is a separate task all on its own." This has been a lot like deciding on the gun. And his observation that "If someone would make a LPVO with adjustable parallax down to 10 or 25 yards and with good turret tracking, I'd be all over it." is also spot on. (I would also add IR.) I looked and looked for that LPVO, and it is presently a unicorn. And I see why he has his L2 outfitted with 2 different optics.

It seems like my choice at present is between a red dot, a good prism scope (Dedal, MTC Atom), or a decent (not exquisite, but adequate) LPVO. I really want to try FFP - I see the logic in eliminating one step in the mental holdover/under calculation, and my scopes are all SFP. And if looks like when going FFP, one really needs IR to prevent the disappearing reticle phenomenon. I really looked at that Immersive Optics 5x prism, but I can't find any credible reviews on it, even in the British forums. And I can't tell how well the 10x MTC Atom would do for my closer range stuff - maybe great, maybe not.

So for now, I am going to go with the Helos BTR GEN2 2-12×42 AHMR2 FFP IR MIL. Meanwhile, on my endless journey into optics, I will continue to explore magnified prism scopes. Now, to figure out the mount for the Helos & my 20 MOA scope rail....

Will keep you updated. Thank you to everyone.

It was folly on my part to believe I could adequately analyze that amount of information and make a purchase decision within a day. I think @Peskadot said it best: "fitting the scope to the rifle for whatever purposes one might use it for is a separate task all on its own." This has been a lot like deciding on the gun. And his observation that "If someone would make a LPVO with adjustable parallax down to 10 or 25 yards and with good turret tracking, I'd be all over it." is also spot on. (I would also add IR.) I looked and looked for that LPVO, and it is presently a unicorn. And I see why he has his L2 outfitted with 2 different optics.

It seems like my choice at present is between a red dot, a good prism scope (Dedal, MTC Atom), or a decent (not exquisite, but adequate) LPVO. I really want to try FFP - I see the logic in eliminating one step in the mental holdover/under calculation, and my scopes are all SFP. And if looks like when going FFP, one really needs IR to prevent the disappearing reticle phenomenon. I really looked at that Immersive Optics 5x prism, but I can't find any credible reviews on it, even in the British forums. And I can't tell how well the 10x MTC Atom would do for my closer range stuff - maybe great, maybe not.

So for now, I am going to go with the Helos BTR GEN2 2-12×42 AHMR2 FFP IR MIL. Meanwhile, on my endless journey into optics, I will continue to explore magnified prism scopes. Now, to figure out the mount for the Helos & my 20 MOA scope rail....

Will keep you updated. Thank you to everyone.

For LPVO's, the Athon Helos 1-4.5x24, the Styrka 1-6x24 and at least a handful of the March LPVO's have side focus.

I'm not sure about the Athlon's turrets but I got one of the Styrka scopes steeply discounted and it is not what I consider to be a clickable scope. Capped turrets and just not a good feel for a precise number of clicks in the field. Unfortunately it only has a duplex reticle so it is not a holdover scope either.

Fortunately it is illuminated so I can use it on 1x as a red dot sight replacement which is why I wanted to try it. For now it fits that need but I can't help but think a low powered prismatic or even the Athlon wouldn't have been the better choice.

That leaves March. Normally well over your $2000 budget but they were discounted recently and I'm not sure what price their less expensive FFP models with side focus were actually selling for. But worth looking out for another sale. 

One more question: @Peskadot, what mount are you using with your Nightforce in the photo? How well zeroed do you stay with the QD on it?

The scope mount in that photo is a LaRue Tactical LT204 C.A.N. QD mount. I've since changed it out to another LaRue mount (LT111) because the stock will not clear when folded. Do not get that mount unless the scope you choose has a long eye relief which allows you to move the mount forward. The valve housing makes contact with the rear QD lever when folded. You could still use the mount if you flip the mount around but I didn't like the look of it. Here's a pic where the valve housing on the L2 makes contact with the rear QD lever.

20210118_173430.1615159543.jpg

20210118_173306.1615159663.jpg

The new mount I have is a LaRue LT111 one piece scope mount. It fits perfect! I've been using LaRue scope mounts since 2008 on my AR15's and I also have one mounted on my R5M Matador. No problems with return to zero when removing and reattaching them to my rifles. I made some changes to my L2 over the weekend. Fixed a leak, changed out the .25/250mm barrel to a .30/350mm, mounted the Valkyrie CF Handguard, added the Huma MOD40 Moderator, installed the 300cc bottle, attached a picatinny rail for my bipod, and changed out the scope mount to the LaRue LT111.

20210308_085934.1615160275.jpg

20210308_085830.1615160347.jpg

20210308_090719.1615160428.jpg

20210308_095540.1615161423.jpg

20210308_090051.1615160601.jpg

20210308_090104.1615160656.jpg

I also grinded off the screws and attachment plate on a BCM MLOK picatinny rail to clear the MOD40 moderator so it doesn't scratch it up when attaching or reattaching the moderator. 

20210307_120402.1615160830.jpg

20210307_120412.1615160898.jpg

20210307_120422.1615161013.jpg

20210308_084618.1615161164.jpg

20210308_084247.1615161217.jpg