• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Which one is the rifle you take with you hunting?

The only game I'm likely to hunt with an air rifle is squirrel. If I were doing my normal walk and stop type of hunting, I would take my Revere .22. It has the same basic feel as a rimfire sporter, and it's one of my lighter rifles, which is welcome due to a bad rotator cuff. Some folks complain of the smaller shot count with a cylinder gun, but they must kill or miss a lot more squirrels than I typically see.

Ed

i am not the 'safe queen" type, but i do understand the "my baby" sentiment.

regardless of price or value, i consider my guns as tools that are meant to be used, otherwise it seems like a waste to me to even own them.

then again, i am a minimalist that doesn't own a safe full of options.

Rationally talking, the more you use a tool, the cheaper the tool was for you.... I know !

For those pesky " tree rats " i find my Leshiy 2 slinging jsb 15.89 Hades @ 880fps to be a Very Bad Day for the rodents ..

I have also dropped a major pain in the ass, yard destroying Armadillo with it..

Biggest kill was a smart ass racoon , rat bastard was a master of trash can entry until he got 3 in the head before he could say " oh poop " ... !!!

l2 finsished.1629481147.jpg

Depends on what and where I'm hunting. If I'm still hunting tree squirrels across ravines, I'll use my .22 DS Regal XL because most shots are over 40 yards. If I'm venturing into the thick stuff or walking/stalking for them, the .22 Brocock Contour in my avatar because it's very light and small.

As far as shot count, the Brocock only gets 18 full power shots, but with a limit of 5 squirrels a day, that's more than enough.

There is a theory in fishing that many guys are afraid to cast their expensive lures into snaggy places that fish like to hide in. So you are going fishing but missing possibly on some of the best fish out for fear of losing your lure. Well why did you buy that lure? To gently cast in places that are less likely to have fish? Don't do that to yourself.

Same applies to airguns or really anything if you ask me. By all means be careful, and I am extremely careful with my airguns, but use the darn thing! Take it out to that nasty dairy farm or wherever you hunt. Use the right tool for the right job. Life is too short to not 100% enjoy your things now. One day you will be old, your back hurts, your core is weak and you won't go out hunting like you used to do. Trust me, you will be happier getting out there and enjoying your airgun to the fullest than eventually being a tired old man who only has some pristine safe queens to look at.

I'll also take out the one best suited for the job. Sometimes it's a pistol. But if I am GOING hunting, I will take the most proficient and expensive gun I own. If I need to take a long shot, there won't be any doubt or missed shot. Typically I try and get into medium range territory before taking a shot. I don't really contend with wind in hilly wooded areas. So, the chance of a missed or poorly placed shot is extremely low. 

122016895_10158660416639034_1613549501850166926_n.1629491004.jpg

I have the same problem. It has never bothered me to take an FX since the one's that I have had are all black like my Maverick Compact. I bought a Taipan Veteran Long 22cal with Green stock back in the spring, and it hasn't made it out of my backyard. It's a great looking gun and I would hate to beat it up. I seriously may end up trading it or selling it and get another FX. I guess everyone is different. 

There is a theory in fishing that many guys are afraid to cast their expensive lures into snaggy places that fish like to hide in. So you are going fishing but missing possibly on some of the best fish out for fear of losing your lure. Well why did you buy that lure? To gently cast in places that are less likely to have fish? Don't do that to yourself.

Same applies to airguns or really anything if you ask me. By all means be careful, and I am extremely careful with my airguns, but use the darn thing! Take it out to that nasty dairy farm or wherever you hunt. Use the right tool for the right job. Life is too short to not 100% enjoy your things now. One day you will be old, your back hurts, your core is weak and you won't go out hunting like you used to do. Trust me, you will be happier getting out there and enjoying your airgun to the fullest than eventually being a tired old man who only has some pristine safe queens to look at.

Excellent advice!!!

You are absolutely right !!!!

Thanks.