Which of these airguns suites your style?

Which of these airguns suites your style?

• Total voters
I love the Airmaks Katran Compact Bottle contest win from AGN and shoot it almost exclusively, it's such a fun gun! I imagine the Airmaks Caiman would be similar, and popping stuff at night in the complete dark would be a riot! I've managed in the dark with a very focused weapon light on dim and either Bushnell Red Dot or the Hawke Airmax 30 WASF 10x44 Scope included in the contest (what a clear, bright scope!), so imagine that would be funner with this rig!

People rave about the FX M3 Impacts, and NightForce scopes are solid, I can see why pairing a 1-8x with picky eyebox on a "bolt" gun makes sense and certainly wouldn't mind owning one.

The Taipan Veteran sure is a sexy gun! I've looked at buying one and like the short length, I hear the accuracy is great and owners love them. For hunting short and quiet is really, really helpful.

After spending so much time with the Katran instead of dialing in long-range shots with an AirForce single-shot I'd have to say I'd try an EDgun Leshiy 2. I have a range where "hangers" (hanging steel targets) have a home, so some run-and-gun with a semi-auto would be fun. (I mounted a red-dot along side the Katran's scope, so best of both worlds as it fits my needs.)

Houdini would enjoy the Taipan because he was double jointed and could reach all the waaaaaaaay back to cock the stupid design
Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 8.18.47 AM.jpg

I suspect someone is searching for a contest give away gun. Perhaps without realizing the large majority of us prefer the standard BLACK air gun. Look at all the powder burners sold since 1860, then look at the majority of air rifles which are designed and sold based on all those powder burners. Personally I'm not impressed with the choices shown here. This is my personal opinion and thoughts on the matter. I won't even vote on these as shown.
Do you mean 1960? The original Armalite AR-15 was the first true "black rifle". Even so it didn't hit the civilian market till the Colt SP-1 in the early 70's. Never really took off until the AWB in the 90's, the mini-14 was actually the goto semi-auto in the 70's and 80's. I digress and agree, It is unquestionable that 'EBR's' are the popular thing for the past generation so it stands to reason that airgun popularity would follow the same aesthetics.

badger5th are you saying that air rifles are were not modeled on all the muskets and rifles produced previously. MY FIRST SINGLE SHOT .22 RIM FIRE HAD ALL BLACK BARREL AND ACTION WITH A WOOD STOCK. It was given to me at age 8, I'm 73 now. Or are you saying the AR 15 is the 1st only 1st true rifle made in black steel. I thought the Mauser rifle preceded ALL the AR styled combat weapons not to mention the M1 used in WWII. To me using a mechanical device( rifle) which uses the expanding gas principal ( compressed gas and fired propellants) to propel a projectile is all that is necessary to be a gun (rifle). The purpose of my post was to note that the majority of rifles be they power burners or air guns have been manufactured with blacked barrels ( bluing is essentially black, all my S&W were black). That is what the majority preferred for years simply because is reflect less light and is more desirable for hunting and self defense ( war). SO no I do not mean 1960. I would not enter a free give away contest to win any of those rifles, To much like work to try and sell them to be rid of them.

Reactions: Mooner625
Do you mean 1960? The original Armalite AR-15 was the first true "black rifle". Even so it didn't hit the civilian market till the Colt SP-1 in the early 70's. Never really took off until the AWB in the 90's, the mini-14 was actually the goto semi-auto in the 70's and 80's. I digress and agree, It is unquestionable that 'EBR's' are the popular thing for the past generation so it stands to reason that airgun popularity would follow the same aesthetics.
@GBGUNNER is accurate. For example, if you look at 1860's-era leaver-action rifles we see similar in leaver-action CO2 guns, and the firearm styles from 1860 forward are represented in airguns. If you look at which PCP airguns are the most popular among our group on AGN they are generally "black rifle style."

Personally, if I want an airgun to function like an open-site .22LR, a wood-stock Benjamin Marauder fits the bill very well. If I want a platform I can stick a red dot, bipod, scope, level, and/or light onto, a platform airgun makes more sense. The media dramatizes modern platforms as "black rifles," but in reality they're just metal-frame modular guns.

As a historical aside, most top snipers used very simple, reliable wood-stock guns and would not want a platform gun. One could therefore argue the M1903 Springfield (or current composite M24) is far more deadly than the M16. In an invasion situation, "it depends," and there's a lot to be said for suppressive fire or "run and gun." There's also a lot to be said for "one shot, one kill." However, we have to look at this in the bigger context of airgunning for sport, and in that context platform rifles are preferred as evidenced by the popularity of FX and RAW platforms.

@GBGUNNER is accurate. For example, if you look at 1860's-era leaver-action rifles we see similar in leaver-action CO2 guns, and the firearm styles from 1860 forward are represented in airguns. If you look at which PCP airguns are the most popular among our group on AGN they are generally "black rifle style."
OK, I misunderstood the context, I stand corrected. Yes, The "style" of airguns since the end of the muzzleloader period have generally reflected PB guns in common usage. Regards, Badger

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog
My Leshiy 2 is my go to gun by far. Just so well made and has a solid feel Like a real rifle. I have it pimped out with all the add on items I want finally. Tried all types of scopes and hand guards and grips. So many options to try on this platform To make it your own. All conventional Looking PCP rifles are,too big for me. My second choice would be a Crown with 380mm barrel.

badger5th are you saying that air rifles are were not modeled on all the muskets and rifles produced previously. MY FIRST SINGLE SHOT .22 RIM FIRE HAD ALL BLACK BARREL AND ACTION WITH A WOOD STOCK. It was given to me at age 8, I'm 73 now. Or are you saying the AR 15 is the 1st only 1st true rifle made in black steel. I thought the Mauser rifle preceded ALL the AR styled combat weapons not to mention the M1 used in WWII. To me using a mechanical device( rifle) which uses the expanding gas principal ( compressed gas and fired propellants) to propel a projectile is all that is necessary to be a gun (rifle). The purpose of my post was to note that the majority of rifles be they power burners or air guns have been manufactured with blacked barrels ( bluing is essentially black, all my S&W were black).
I misunderstood your context, so I stand corrected and am in general agreement. I do want to clarify something on the other side of this. The term "black rifle" in current gun community usage usually means a later 20th century-21st century military style rifle utilizing plastics and ploymers/synthetics in lieu of traditional wood materials. Nothing to do with the metal finish/materials used for barrels, receivers, fire control groups, etc. The Garand and M-14's are not black rifles, The AR-15/M-16 was the first black rifle in common usage (the FAL may have been a few years earlier...). "Black Rifle" is also a term that can be applied to any arm that's targeted by an AW ban (they look scary...). Regards

Last edited:
BADGER5th Thanks for the additional information regarding the term" Black Rifle". I appreciate your time and effort to help me understand. I have had some difficulty translating words, phrases, and initials I run accost. The fact that people are changing the definition of so many words and phrases forces me to go back to the dictionary to prove to some people they are assigning new meanings that are not in the dictionary. That is why court proceedings make use of the dictionary. Slang and street terms, etc are not allowed. Causes confusion. My prime example is so many people believe a self loading "gun" is a machine gun. the phrases self loader, semi automatic, automatic, mean the same thing. And full automatic and machine gun have equal meanings. It's one of the things that cause some people ( some ladies I know) to believe any automatic fire arm is a machine gun when it is a self loader requiring a trigger reset and pull to fire another shot. Chemo brain has turned me into a blabbermouth I just go on and on ...