• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Venturi Which NSA slugs work well in the avenger .22?

Ok so yeah NSA has a sale right now and I'm interested. Have you had good accuracy with them in the avenger .22? Which ones and what diameter? I read somewhere that the 20.2 gr .216 do good. I'm particularly interested in the 17.5 gr. Any experience with those? With those then I'd try shooting them on my current tune for JSB 18.3. The only slugs I've tried were a handful of NSA 20.2 gr .217. They didn't shoot great terrible but not great either. I think they were too big

Reactions: EmptyTin_Tim
Hello, I have a modified Gen 1 Avenger in 22Cal that does really well with Nielsen 17.5g in 0.2165 diameter. I havent tried any other diameters since I didnt find it necessary. Mine will hold a golfball size group at 50-55yds at ~1000fps. I could shrink that down more but I like having the speed for pest control. I keep meaning to try the slightly heavier 20.2g, but the smaller 17.5g work so well in all my low power setups I chicken out.

Reactions: skeeekerz
Literally saw the NSA sale and thought same thing for my Avenger-gotta stock up! haha

I actually just tested out some NSA in both weights and sizes you mentioned.

See this thread

Basically because of the rifling contact on the short 17.5 you wanna try slightly larger than the 20.2's

I shot the 17.5 at 1018 fps average and the 20.2 I believe were around 950 ish. The 25.39 is FX pellet.

See how 17.5 gr .2165 and 20.2 gr .216 do well but others like .217 shotgun.

This was 30 yards.

I bought but haven't tested the 20.2 gr .2165's yet.

20240511_155928~2.jpg

Glad I can help! Just know I've polished and crowned my barrel and also done a bunch of other stuff to my Avenger but that should still get you in the ballpark for the slugs, like you know probably don't get .217s and that the slugs like the high speed.
Speaking of the avenger barrel here's a picture showing an imperfection in mine about 2 inches from the breech end. I not sure if I made it when hammering out a jam with the first thing I could find which were some welding rods or if it came that way. It still shoots pellets fine, maybe because it's choked
.20230815_183034.jpg

The indent might be from an over torqued barrel retaining grub screw since it is at the top and doesn't follow the rifling as far as I can see. When I pulled my barrel last I saw similar thing but same here it shoots pellets fine and slugs too so I guess the pellet or slug gets fixed by the rest of the rifling the rest of the way down to the muzzle.

It's been suggested on here that next time the scope is off and the front rail is off you take out the barrel retaining screws and round off the sharp tip with some sandpaper so that when torqueing them down it doesn't push as far or put a point like what we see here but are still tight to secure the barrel.

Yep mine had both indents one for each grub screw. I also like stuff tight and always have to catch myself from over doing it.

Apparently the .25 cal is worse offender as it's barrel wall is thinnest
I pulled mine down right away and filed down those grub screws. They have a sharp point on them from the factory and some barrels get damaged upon initial assembly.