• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Which March scope and reticle for Field Target - AND - maybe Benchrest?

I much preferred the SFP 2.5-25x to the 3-24x. I should amend my comment above "I found nothing I didn't like about either one." to include "...except that I don't like FFP scopes." Not a fan of FFPs as discussed above in this thread, because the reticle subtension can only be ideal at a single zoom setting, becoming too fat or too thin as you zoom in or out. The only exceptions to that FFP reticle problem for me is the March 1-10x Shorty or the new 1.5-15x dual focal that have a second focal plan duplex style reticle with a daylight LED dot that don't change size in the eyepiece as you zoom, and a first focal plane ranging style reticle that keeps the same subtension at all zoom settings. There were / are some other dual focal plane scopes made - Schmidt & Bender if they ever released their 1-8x and one I have never heard of before - from Quigley-Ford, but I have never touched either of those two.

But the argument for using an FFP with FT matches has made me rethink that somewhat. I wish there was an FT match near me, but the closest is hundreds of miles away so all I can do is try to simulate one. My sort of FT setup has a Sightron 4-20x50 S-Tac FFP on it right now. Just starting to figure it all out. Sightron made the illumination of the center of the reticle so bright that I can actually see the aiming point when zoomed out to 4x, when the illumination is on and set to max. Otherwise at 4x to almost 5x I can't see anything at all in the middle of the reticle in daylight conditions.

I was not able to compare the 3-24x42 and the 52mm IQ side by side, but I recall that the 52mm was brighter at low light. That is all I can give on the comparison. I had no trouble getting lined up with any of them.
I appreciate the reply. I understand about FFP reticle variances and March's 1-10 Shorty and 1.5-15 with the Dual Focus reticle. I didn't know that S&B was involved in a similar project, and never heard of Quigley-Ford, as you didn't. Also, I mostly prefer SFP also for the same reason. Mind you, you are a much more involved shooter than I am, but still, I like what I like.

One more important thing you pointed out to me, I believe, which I don't think I previously caught when perusing March's site: the 3-24 is a FFP scope! I am inferring that this is the (sole?) reason you prefer the SFP 2.5-25s. Correct?

Thank you. S7

Reactions: Sanctify7
The best march scope for wftf is the HM 10-60, at least at the moment. It has better glass than the 8-80 and the less temp sensitive construction. The only one that maybe at the same level will be the to be released HM 8-80 but I highly doubt you will range better with 80 than 60x and it will be probably a little darker.

Regarding the reticules, I picked the mtr-4 as it has a nice thickness and small separation between dashes that are welcomed for accurate holdovers. The circle with the dot in the center nice to shoot I think but that’s just a matter of preference

The best march scope for wftf is the HM 10-60, at least at the moment. It has better glass than the 8-80 and the less temp sensitive construction. The only one that maybe at the same level will be the to be released HM 8-80 but I highly doubt you will range better with 80 than 60x and it will be probably a little darker.

Regarding the reticules, I picked the mtr-4 as it has a nice thickness and small separation between dashes that are welcomed for accurate holdovers. The circle with the dot in the center nice to shoot I think but that’s just a matter of preference

I keep forgetting that you can go over 16x in WFTF. I really don't know which of the various classes I would end up enjoying the most. It might be smarter if I am only going to have one March for airgun use, to get the higher magnification model and turn it down for the Hunter class.

Reactions: steve123
I like the information in this thread but the original question was what reticle.

I’ve been looking at Kahles, March and Nightforce. I probably will never shoot FT. Indoor and outdoor benchrest but we may have some club modified FT. I like the Kahles but not the FT model but it’s not illuminated. The NF I like only go to 25yards. Been leaned NF towards a March.

I like the information in this thread but the original question was what reticle.

I’ve been looking at Kahles, March and Nightforce. I probably will never shoot FT. Indoor and outdoor benchrest but we may have some club modified FT. I like the Kahles but not the FT model but it’s not illuminated. The NF I like only go to 25yards. Been leaned NF towards a March.
Okay, Jbzeus,
Do you mind telling what scopes and reticles in the March lineup? Thanks. S7

Last edited:

In the normal wind conditions for 20 fpe guns about the only time you aim out of the KZ is at the longer distances and that typically is just out a 1/4" of a 1.5" KZ. Many years ago I used B&L 6-24's, and an 8-32, all with duplex reticles, also a Leupold fixed power 40x center dot reticle later on. There are guys in our club that have won lots of matches and shot perfect scores with plain reticles.

If its windy I've found having hashes in the reticle of a FFP scope helps because I reference my ballistic app to know approximately how far out to aim.

So the reticle you choose for FT is more a personal preference thing. I prefer .2 mil hash reticles but that doesn't mean I get the wind right all the time or that I don't make mental mistakes which are the major causes of failure.

Get your dope down, the side wheel calibrated to your eye, and practice as much as you can, which will make for the most success in FT.