Which long range scope for RAW. 30?

"Jabba954"Thanks all - though I've ordered the PST gen 2, I'm strongly considering the Sightron SV 10-50 now... the nice thing about the Viper is that it's FFP, meaning the holdovers are easy to accommodate.
You made a good choice :)
We checked out the gen2 at the last IWA and it is a BIG improvement over the "old" version. My buddy was actually so impressed with it that he wants to buy one. I was impressed as well. Good thing it parallaxes down to 25yards now, ideal for AG use.
Bad thing it is still not available here in the EU ;)

About the SV...... Wel, I like Sightron, but to me the SV is nothing more than a S3 in fancy clothing. Optically, they are about the same, except for windage and elevation travel.
To make it even worse, I looked through one at my club, and optically it definitely could not keep up with my S3 10-50x60LRIRMH. I'm not sure if his was a dud, but I was disappointed, especially considering it's a 1000€'s more than a S3.
In my opinion the SV is top tier price, but definitely not top tier performance.

Congrats on your new looking device, and I wish you a lot of good times with it :)

"Jabba954"Thanks Weatherby - my only concern with the Viper is the "limited" magnification for air rifle target shooting at 100 yards.
The PST has got a open center reticle, so it is definitively suitable for target practice.
I shot a few 6mm CTC groups at 100 metres with a 308 with only 12x mag, but I agree that magnification is addicting. But 25x sure should do the trick, and makes aiming less nervous then at 50x mag.

cheers, Gijs

"weatherby"
"Jabba954"Thanks all - though I've ordered the PST gen 2, I'm strongly considering the Sightron SV 10-50 now... the nice thing about the Viper is that it's FFP, meaning the holdovers are easy to accommodate.

About the SV...... Wel, I like Sightron, but to me the SV is nothing more than a S3 in fancy clothing. Optically, they are about the same, except for windage and elevation travel.
T
The Sightron SV has a 34mm tube, locking turrets, an fast focus system compared to the Sightron SIII which has a 30mm tube, no lock turrets and standard side focus.

"travels4fun"
"weatherby"

T
The Sightron SV has a 34mm tube, locking turrets, an fast focus system compared to the Sightron SIII which has a 30mm tube, no lock turrets and standard side focus.
That's what I meant with the fancy clothing :)
There are indeed a couple of extra bells and whistles, but I doubt if the glass is any different from the S3. For instance, I read nothing about ED glass in that scope
When comparing the optical specs, they are exactly the same for FOV, eye relief and focus distance. Due to the 34mm tube, the windage and elevation range is bigger of course.
Unfortunately, optically it was a disappointment to me, for such a extra price over the S3, I expected a way better scope but it wasn't. I've read a review comparing the SV and S3, and they stated that the resolution and clarity of the SV was better than the S3. And the line after that mentioned that the image quality was degrading a little bit at full magnification....... 
The new Vortex Golden Eagle might be a better scope optically, and costs less.

"tsp3355"Looks like you already pulled the trigger. I have a Sightron SIII on my RAW. Fantastic 0ptic for the money, and it focuses down to 10 yards. I've never used it for anything below about 40, but its nice to know its there if for some reason I ever needed it. Then there is that Sightron lifetime warranty, which I can attest that they stand behind. I recently had a lower end Sightron go bad. Sent it back to them, and less than a week later I had a brand new one. Unfortunately I sold it a couple of weeks later and Fedex decided to crush it. Now waiting on Fedex claims to pay me for it.

The only SIII I know of that focuses down to 10yds. is the 3.5-10, I have one but wish I I had higher magnification.
Which SIII are you using?

I have the LRMOA reticle. I like to click, but when I don't have the time to click it's nice to have the hash marks for the hold over/hold off. It's fine enough for target shooting at 100 yards, but I can still see it easy enough when picking off a tree rat up in the leaves. I use it mostly from the bench, but its flexible enough for lots of different applications.

"jps2486"Those of you that have Sightron scopes, which reticle did you choose and why? Do you wish you made a different choice? I have an SIII with the fine crosshairs on mine, but I use that one exclusively for benchrest. Wouldn't change it for that application.

The Sightron Slll works well with the RAW. I have two Slll 50X scopes. One in MOAH and one in MOA2. I like both reticles for hold over but..... The next reticle I would choose would be a fine crosshair for bench. One reason also is because of 1/8 click turret vs. 1/4 click.

"jps2486"Those of you that have Sightron scopes, which reticle did you choose and why? Do you wish you made a different choice? I have an SIII with the fine crosshairs on mine, but I use that one exclusively for benchrest. Wouldn't change it for that application.
Mil-hash. I'm a metric guy :)
Subtensions are the same for the MOA 2 and Mil-hash, but I like the 0.5cm clicks.
As long as the reticle is matched to the turrets, it is fine.