• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Which is the Better Compact? Taipan Veteran .177 vs. AGT Uragan .22

Watch or Read

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=set9ODfto5Q

Every airgun is designed to excel at a specific purpose. I enjoy two types of gun: Long Range target rifles, and short range offhand target and pesting rifles. Long range requires a bit more oomph and lends itself to guns with a long barrel. Short range guns can get away with shooting lighter pellets through a shorter barrel and benefit from being lightweight and maneuverable. 

Current Heavyweight Champion: Taipan Veteran Long .22

Current Lightweight Champion: Taipan Veteran Compact .177

Today I’m going to match up the AGT Uragan Compact against the Taipan Veteran Compact for the Lightweight crown. (Let’s get ready to rumble!)

1586221048_16147697245e8bcff86595a3.91114243.JPG

Stock

I’ve read the Uragan stock is plastic but I can’t tell that by feeling it. The stock feels just as solid as wood and is covered in a soft touch coating that is pleasing to feel. A plastic cheek rest keeps your face from any contact with cold metal. 1 in. high scope mounts are the perfect height to get a good cheek weld. Fortunately, the Uragan has an adjustable butt pad. I have mine adjusted an inch or so lower so that the gun shoulders more comfortably.

The Uragan comes with a built in picatinny rail under the stock so that a bipod can be attached. The Veteran does not.

The rail on the Veteran has 20 MOA of adjustment built into it. This is a huge benefit when shooting out to 100+ yards, but not really a benefit for a short range rifle such as this. The picatinny rail on the Uragan has an unusable section for some unknown reason. I had to move my bubble level to the other side of my scope rings as a result. This was a small hassle easily overcome, but the purpose of the unusable section is a head scratcher.

Winner: AGT Uragan 10 - 9

Magazines

I’m not a fan of spring loaded magazines like those in the Uragan and prefer the simple reliability of the Veteran magazines. Neither gun has magazines that seem to affect accuracy.

Only the Veteran comes with a single shot tray. I like using single shot trays and the inability to use one with the Uragan is a slight disappointment. 

Winner: Taipan Veteran 10 - 9

Trigger

The Uragan trigger is made of plastic. I wouldn’t think this is a big deal, but I noticed the plastic feel immediately. Upon inspection of the trigger blade itself, there is a small circle that reminds me of the spot on old model parts left over after the part was broken off from the plastic. More importantly, the trigger came with a noticeable amount of creep in it. I was able to adjust most of the creep out (there is a tiny bit remaining). The trigger is set at about 1 pound but is difficult to adjust higher or lower. The Taipan Veteran trigger is the best trigger I’ve ever used.

Winner: Taipan Veteran 10 - 8

Sound

Look at the size of the shroud and moderator on the Uragan. With so much volume, I expected to only hear the sound of the hammer slapping the valve. To my surprise, the Uragan is only borderline backyard friendly at 88 db. Unscrewing the large moderator on the end and only using the shroud results in a barking 90 db gun. Removing the stock moderator and replacing it with a DonnyFL Tanto drops the sound to a pleasing 84 db. The Taipan Veteran is a reasonable 87 decibels out of the box shooting at max power without any additional moderation. The sound signature drops fast as the power level drops.

Adjustability

The Uragan’s velocity can’t be adjusted externally. Hammer spring adjustments can be made once the stock is removed. I was disappointed in the very little amount of change that adjusting the hammer spring accomplishes. Regulator adjustments are more difficult on the Uragan than most other guns including the Veteran. On top of that, the regulator has some creep to it. The Uragan would benefit from an aftermarket Huma regulator to eliminate the creep and allow easier pressure adjustments. 

The Veteran hammer spring adjustability is not the most elegant adjustment solution available, but does a great job of adjusting the power over a large range. DonnyFL sells adjustment knobs that can be added to make the process without tools and more simple.

Unique Features

The Uragan has a feature where the cocking arm stays open after the last pellet in the magazine has been fired. Overall I like this feature because it saves me from paying attention to shot count and prevents me from firing the gun without a pellet in the barrel. This feature compares well with the Taipan Veteran’s anti-double load feature. I can cock and load a pellet ready to shoot but if the target flies away, I can uncock the gun as well as put the safety on. If another opportunity arises to shoot, I can cock the gun and not load another pellet into the barrel. Between the two I prefer the magic of the Veteran. 

The Uragan also comes with a fill probe plug that needs to be removed to fill the gun. The probe keeps dust out of the fill hole, but is a piece I may well lose someday. The Veteran’s twist to expose the fill port is much more elegant.

Barrel

The Uragan comes with a CZ barrel that shoots just as good as every other gun I’ve shot with one. The barrel gives the gun laser accuracy. I do seem to pull more shots with this gun than I am used to. I blame the trigger. 

The Lothar Walther barrel of the Veteran .177 doesn’t seem quite as good. Wind pushes the .177 pellet around much easier than the .22 cal Uragan. This really shows itself shooting 25m Benchrest targets in the wind. In perfect shooting conditions, the Veteran could hold its own. The shooting conditions are rarely perfect where I live and the more forgiving nature of the Uragan wins out. 

Winner: AGT Uragan 10 - 8

Pesting Efficiency

When shooting collared doves with the .177 Veteran, I have yet to shoot one in the body and have it drop dead. They always fly off somewhere to die. This bothers me on 2 levels. #1 I don’t like seeing an animal suffer (especially on my account). #2 I’m trying to breast enough doves to make a meal. I can’t eat the meat if it flies off. Doves hit in the body with the .22 Uragan always seem to drop dead in their tracks.

Winner: AGT Uragan by Knockout

Final Results: 

The Taipan Veteran entered the final round with a commanding 67 - 64 lead but was knocked out by the Uragan’s superior knockdown pesting power.

I have a couple of 177 Taipan Mutants one long one short and 177 Kaliburgun Crickets one standard and one short and they all seem to shoot equally well. Probably order a 177 Veteran. No experience with any Uragan yet but I have a Vulcan still in the box in 177 that I haven't gotten around to shoot. YO!

I don't think you can really compare .177 to .22 as apples to apples when talking about fpe and knockdown power, and be taken seriously.

I disagree. It is the type of information people wondering whether to get a .177 or .22 would really want to know. The only reason to get a .177, in my opinion, is if you live somewhere with a sub 12 FPE power restriction.

The accuracy in the two comes down to the barrel lottery. There is more variance barrel to barrel, than between LW and CZ.

The Taipan doesn't need an add on suppressor. This is a big plus for cost and length.

The Taipan is easier to adjust for power with the hammer spring and has more power range with it. It is also easier to adjust the regulator but not easy by any means.

The Taipan has the less flexy trigger that is among the best in the industry.

The Uragan has a handier cocking lever location.

The Uragan has a much higher air capacity and therefore shot count.

Both have anti-double load features.

Great comparison, and as always you offer great explanations on why you like one rifle over another. That being said though, when out pesting I’m wondering where your offhand is on the Uragan and if it’s on the bottle, does the bottle make contact with the shroud? I find myself more of a lean up against a tree, barn, implement, or what ever gives me a steady shot than a bipod type of guy when out hunting or pesting in my neck of the woods.

I'm also prefer to lean against something. When possible my hand is on a post that supports my deck with my left thumb sticking out to form an "L" shape. The bottle then rests on top of my thumb. The bottle does not make contact with the shroud. When a support beam is not handy I shoot offhand with my support hand palm up and fingers out. The hand sits in close under the trigger guard so that my elbow can dig into my body. This allows my forearm bones to support all the weight instead of any muscles and is the most stable for me.

I don't like how bipods throw the balance of the gun off when not shooting on a bench. I seldom even use my bipod to shoot targets with from the bench either, though. I'm more stable using a Caldwell Stinger shooting rest. I keep my guns on shelves and the main purpose of my bipods is to act as a gun stand.

Hey, Yanks,

I've got a TAIPAN Veteran STANDARD cal.22 and an AGT URAGAN Compact cal. 22 to choose from.

I'm looking for a compact (reasonable length) for hunting mainly small birds maximum pigeon in the 20-55 yards range around my house and extensive garden. I'm interested in the quality of the concentrate, the consistency etc...

I actually have the opportunity to purchase both at a very discounted price and am deciding which to choose ;-)

... there is also Capybara in the game for a good price :-D

Please give me your current suggestions, experiences.

Thanks

Hubini

Hi Hubini,

Taipan wins hands down for me. It is quieter and has a much better trigger. I also prefer the magazines of the Veteran and ease of adjusting velocity using the hammer spring adjuster. The barrels are the same in both so accuracy is outstanding in both but I sold my Uragan and kept my .22 Veteran for the above reasons.

Reactions: Headshots