• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Which is best for long range accuracy?

I shoot NRL 22 with a custom 22lr but have a notion to give it a try with an air rifle. So the rules say you can shoot .22 snd.25 with slugs (or pellets) but .30 with pellets only. If you wanted the best accuracy for 100 to 300 yards which would you pick, the smaller and lighter .22 slugs with better BC than pellets, slightly heavier .25 slugs or the larger .30 pellets? Yes, I know the NRL stages are only up to 100 yards but the local stages can be up to 300.

Thanks all! Biohazardman, are you getting anywhere close to MOA at 200yds?

200 with an airgun? Try 100 realistically. With some slugs you can have more distance. I can't speak for @Biohazardman but in general 125 yards and under is more in the airgun arena. Most people have a very hard time getting 1" groups at 100. It takes practice and skill, which is something some guys achieve with ease here with their skill level. But it isnt as easy as 22lr is my point I guess 

• Haha
Reactions: Nsboost
My .30 cal is my most accurate gun in the 100-300 yard distances. With very low wind I got this group.

Screenshot_20220910-082539.png

22 is the BC king…. BUT… you get more air efficiency out of a 25 from my experience… so .25 is my go to.
—>

Would both of you, Nsboost and Georgeppn, explain to me with a concrete example what you mean by that? Thanks. 👍🏼

Because....
Internal ballistics so far has been like the classes in physical science I took in highschool... —
▪︎I attended...
▪︎I pretended to understand...
▪︎I received a categorization "dumb as a rock"...
▪︎I received an evaluation "D" — with an 80% chance of an "F" the following year.

😆 Matthias

Reactions: cra627