Which Hawke Scope For Marauder F & T?

I just purchased a Benjamin Marauder Field and Target .177 (Air Rifle). Thinking I'll put a Hawke scope on her, as I've read lots of great reviews on them.

It appears the Airmax series are made for air rifles. I’m just not sure which is best for me.

I plan on mostly target shooting, a lot at 20 yards(Punching Paper). Which scope in the Airmax series would you suggest for my rifle and situation? (Not really interested in the compact ones as I really wont be walking around all day carrying the rifle. But would like the 50mm for better light gathering.)

4-12, or 4-16, or 8-32 or ?? Or another brand if you think better cost/quality.

Thanks for any help ! :)

Airmax scopes were actually designed and built for spring piston airguns, but you can use them on PCP's too if you want...lol. I have 8, shoot anywhere from 20-30 yards and at that range, I can see my hits on paper just fine with either the 3-9x40's (2) or the 4-12x40's (5). They weigh about 18 ounces. Get into bigger ones with side focus, illuminated reticles, bigger tubes, they start to weigh more. I know since the 8th has all that and weighs in about 28 ounces before adding the rings...lol. They also get more expensive the bigger you go.

I'm with dizzums and think the 4-12x40 would be just fine for you, a PCP and target shooting at 20ish yards.

I like Hawke for lightweight second focal plane scopes. I just recently bought a Frontier that I’m very impressed with. You might want to list a budget for your scope purchase. There are several deals out there on Hawke and other brands. You might be able to upgrade what you are currently looking at for the same or even less money. 

Reactions: keith1
I think you can do better than a Hawke Air Max. At least get something better quality at least more for your money.

Camera Land NY has a Sightron scope sale $274 for S TAC 4-20x50 or BUDK.com $201 for AIMS Alpha 6 4.5-27x50 or if you want to cheap out go to eBay for the Bushnell AR Optics 223 4.5-18x40 for $135 plus there is a Bushnell $30 rebate until end of December. EBay purchase and redeeming the Bushnell $30 rebate are separate procedures. Final cost $105 shipped after collecting rebate after purchase. It's still a good deal even with out the $30 rebate.

All of these scopes focus down to 10 yards minimum and include life time warranties. 

The Sightron glass quality about the same as the cheaper AIMS how ever the AIMS is a little brighter and has illumination.

$100 bucks for a new Bushnell AR 223. Perhaps just buy it as a spare scope?

Seller in Indiana has 5976 100% positives who offers free shipping and free returns already sold 11 of them and have 5 left as of this post.

Coincidentally...

The Bushnell rebate limit is 5 items for a $150 total money back.

Really good deal here. May be worth considering too.

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-strike-eagle-4-24x50-ebr-4-moa-riflescope.html

Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24x50 illuminated for $299 but it has a 20 yard minimum focus. It retails for $699. 

Air gunners all rushing to pre pay to be on a long waiting list to buy the super heavy 25 yard minimum focus long range center fire Arken so 20 yards for the Vortex why not.

It says free shipping when you put it on your cart. All positive 5 star 112 reviews for this Vortex.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Vortex-Strike-Eagle-4-24x50-with-EBR-4%20MOA-Riflescope-SE-1627.aspx?avad=271289_b25a583f9&utm_source=215737&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=avantlink

Thanks, Batman,

Just bought Bushnell AR Optics 223 4.5-18x40 for $135, plus tax, on eBay. Bushnell webpage (Promotions) says up to $50 rebate but I'll know how much applies to this scope, after I submit on-line claim. Would be nice to get $50, but $30 isn't too shabby, either. Looks like they need all kinds of photo proof for rebate, so I'll have to wait for item to arrive. Thanks again for tip and Happy Holidays,

WM 

Batman2; Hey thanks for all the great info! I use Vortex scopes on my firearms, hadn't thought to look there for air rifle scopes. The Strike Eagle looks nice and the price is great, but I need it to focus down to 10 yards, so the Strike Eagle wont work for me.

You don't feel the Hawke scopes are good quality and/or worth what they are priced at? Id prefer a 30mm tube, 50mm Objective and side focus which will go down to 10 yards. Would like to have some nice quality glass but stay under about $500. Probably a 4-16 or 6-24.

Some love them, some don't but I like my Hawkes. While they have other sizes, I have an Airmax 3-9x50 SF IR I have on my Hatsan Galatian. 30mm tube, side focus, illuminated reticle, focuses down to a bit under 1o but I've also picked off woodchucks out to almost 70. It also came with a sunshade and sidewheel but I never put them on it.

While most also don't seem to like Dvor, that scope is normally $400 and I got it for $240 and $10 shipping. The daily emails can be a pain but easy to unsubscribe and their idea of returns is to issue store credit, I've gotten 8 scopes, all new in box and never had an issue with any of them. At the very least, maybe somewhere to at least sign up and have a look? They're an offshoot of Optics Planet, the website they use to sell off overstock and you can save a bundle if you find something you like. They also have a riflescope clearance starting at 11am this morning...lol.

That Airmax 3-9x50 SF IR on my Galatian:

galatian-2.1640093799.jpg

Thanks for all the great information! I think Ive read many many reviews on the 4 scopes I had it narrowed down to. Im very much leaning toward the Element Helix 6-24 SFP. I also like their rings. I'm guessing I'll need the High rings for my Marauder Field & Target. But if anyone has this set-up, Id love to hear which size rings you have. But the Athlon Midas Tac looks nice and now looking at the Sightron S Tac (thanks to Batman2) on sale for $274 is hard to beat that price!

The Arkens all seem to have 25 yard minimum focus just be aware of this. They have a $100 off sale Probably ends soon.

Not everyone is happy with their Element Helix due to the eye box and lack of clarity at high magnification. Something to be well aware of before buying so there will be no surprises if you end up hating it.

I thought I try one of the 6-24x50 Helix but missed the $299 sale from DVOR which at that sale price justified $100 off in taking a gamble. This was before I found out some ended up not being too happy with theirs.

Just don't pay regular price for it.

I have owned couple of Hawke Air Max and Side winder 30s and bought them because they were on sale for close to half their price. My opinion barely worth half price. Side winder 30 is most definitely the better scope compared to Air Max and Helix. Just it buy on sale. The Hawke Side winder 30 4-16x50 was $299 from Camera Land NY and Brownells couple months ago. Careful there are dissatisfied prior Hawke owners who state will never again buy Hawke scopes when you do a Hawke search on this forum. Many posts from precision target shooters.

You get to know the deals on sale if you pay attention and read this forum as well as other forums unless you want to pay more for it and feel okay paying regular full price.

You can learn the hard way it is your money Just don't pay full price for them unless you earn a very good salary and can afford to pay more than they may be actually worth or are unaware of on going sale prices elsewhere.

You will realize it later on after you upgrade and come across scopes that are much noticeable better that are the same price or cheaper or may be only a few bucks extra gets you something twice the quality in comparison.

Buy the Athlon Argos 6-24x50 shop around for best price around $250 a much better buy than a Helix with comparable glass and improved clicks with zero stop. Glass noticeably loses it in clarity degradation at the higher magnification too but at least it is cheaper with similar glass. 

You need to ask your self what is important and if you can live with tight eye box and a blurred image at high zoom.

If you have the cash to keep bying new scopes until you can find one you can be happy with.

Or suffer the consequences to just live with it.

Perhaps your expectations are not too critical where even a 10 yard focus Leapers Utg 6-24x56 may be good enough for you?

It may be helpful reading the forums and doing a search for what scopes you seek information on.

I have read and fully agree on to always buy from return friendly dealers. If it is from DVOR make absolutely sure you are certain you know what you buying because of their credit only return policy.

The 10 yard focus Sightron S Tac 4-20x50 that is regular priced at $540 is on sale at Camera Land NY for $274 is a much better optical quality scope compared to the Helix and Argos.

If you head strong on and really itching to justify wanting to spend higher dollar money in the $450 to $500 range then the 10 yard focus $837 regular price Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50 from Amazon with the Aprs3 on sale $474 will smoke everything else probably even your Vortex firearms scopes unless you got the Razors. This particular Athlon will make the Helix seem like a cheap toy in comparison which is absolutely no comparison.

You got a nice quality Field and Target Marauder. Put on a decent scope for gosh sake.

And don't get ripped off.

I would say so how ever there may be a down side. It is FFP and the reticle gets very thin at low magnification with no illumination to have hopes to locate the fine aim point in the middle.

If bench shooting it is fine. Not for quick shot hunting unless you got the time to zoom it in once you see the critter.

That Sightron S Tac has a thin SFP reticle and the reticle stays the same at all magnification levels.

If you have the means you could buy both to compare side by side and at these crazy deal prices surely expect to at least break even if you end up selling either of them.

You are likely to profit selling the Sightron.

Surely some one will buy it at break even price including shipping on the Midas Tac.

Once this $474 seller is all sold out then the next cheapest price is $538 plus $20 shipping for this Midas Tac. That is $84 more in price.

If you try to resale a Helix or Hawke or Arken among any other brands at today's prices that don't have any discount you are most certainly going to lose money on them.

It is like the stock market buying at their lowest stock prices when you already know what their highest price were. Their brand names are going to carry their future value.

Too young of a start up company may have its risk for future product support too.

There may possibly be some over inflated hype that goes along with some new products or companies via paid advertiser sponsors or commission based hits.

Some are all about the Benjamin's.

You could also buy the $299 Vortex Strike Eagle sit on it a little bit then you can flip it later. Plenty shooters happy with theirs who paid $699. There is no way Vortex can have any $299 scope in the future to replace this one in comparison.

You can also use the new $299 20 yard focus Vortex to replace any of your lesser quality sub $699 fire arm scopes just sell them used for $299 or for what ever price you want and mount nicest ones on to your own guns. Assuming you are not running any Vortex Razor series.