• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Which Gun?

I have an FX Impact Mk2 w/ 22 & 30 cal and I love it. It's exactly what I want for that 30 to 100 FPE range. Very tuneable and tinkerable.

However -- I also want to go air gun for hunting medium/large game. Like boar / deer.

I know the Impact will never reach the power level I'd be comfortable with for that so I'm looking for a second gun.

What I'd like (though open to alternatives):

• Power: Somewhere 300 to 400 FPE.
  • Single Shot or Repeater -- don't care too much but repeater would be nice.
  • I'd like more than 3 shots between fills. Ideally 10+ would be great.
  • Quality should be high. Sorry no Hatsan for me.
  • Regulated would be great

What I'd really like is an AirForce Texan LSS .45 cal with 2x500cc tanks and a regulator adjustable to 300 to 400 FPE.

I feel like that would give me all the qualities I want, but I haven't seen anyone with double-tanks or regulated/de-tuned Texan.

Any other guns that run in the 300-400 FPE range? Or bigger guns that can be de-tuned to produce more shots in that power range?

I appreciate any recommendations / suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

I have seen people kill deer with a recluse 357 using her at lung shots. I happen to know for a fact that some of those people tracked blood trails for hours before finding those deer. One guy I won't mention his youtube but he edited his video so you see deer get shot and the next clip it's dark out. Lol. Anyway even though it is certainly doable a 357 is just not enough gun for me to consider deer hunting. Now I think the compromise here is the 45 Texan. Bigger bullet flatter shooting than the 50cal and gets about 6 shots with the new carbon fiber bottle at 700 fpe. That tells me if you tune it down you can get several more shots. Honestly I had a bulldog 357 and if I could do it again I'd get the biggest meanest airgun I could like af 50 cal and tune it for 2 or 3 shots per fill and tether it to a carbon fiber tank when doing bench work. Airforce seems the best to me because they stand by thier products forever. I have a condor and if it goes down they send me parts and let me do my own work free of charge. You can modify it any way you want and they will cover any malfunctions that are not your fault. Really a great company and good peace of mind. Nobody else does that. 

Maybe the American air arms slayer in .452 is exactly what you are looking for. I dont know how long you'll wait for it. Years ago I thought about buying the .357 but i lost patience with it after waiting 6 months. I lost interest and move on to different guns with better service

The 452 Slayer Bullpup looks to fit pretty nicely! Thank you!

EDIT: Ohh I see... Wait... 6 months... bummer.

Wow, this rolling block seems like a very nice air rifle!!! From what i've seen however it's discontinued. Did this ever take off? Not a lot of info on it available.

If I recall correctly it had an Aluminum Barrel. Not sure it would hold up.

From what i've read, it was a complete disaster. The project didn't really go anywhere. Which is a shame. An air rifle version of the rolling block that is actually functional, would be pretty cool to have.

I made a decision. After countless Youtube videos and testing out all the air guns on paper -- I made my choice -- we'll see if it was a good one...

I went with a AirForce Texan SS .457 w/ CF Bottle & TX2 Valve.

It's not a perfect fit for my requirements but it ticks the most important checkboxes.

• It can be tuned down to 300-400 FPE -- but also offer a lot more if I want it. I like that.
  • It's single shot but the advantage is that I'm not limited to a small pellet that fits in a magazine. Also thinking I can design and 3D print something to improve loading.
  • Looks like I can get 5 consistent shots per fill running at my goal 400 FPE. That exceeds my 3, but not quite my dream of 10. Spare bottle?
  • Quality was a top requirement for me and the Texan looks really great quality. Also made in America means a lot to me.
  • Regulated -- well sort of, the TX2 valve lets me use a 4500psi tank. So good enough.

I went with the SS instead of the LSS because I don't need the extra power and I like the shorter barrel length.

I got it through Utah Airguns -- they said it was in stock but we'll see.

It seems so so so many guns and equipment are backordered these days. Reduced manufacturing rate due to the pandemic?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.