N/A Which Gun?

Take a look at the Dar line. Under $400 . I have the early gen in .177 and it will group 1/2" @ 50 yds with jsb 10.3

20240331_162708.jpg

20240331_162657.jpg

Screenshot_20240401_174804_Samsung Internet.jpg

I have no issue with you, your abilities, your hunts prove your hypotheses.

You explained the crux of the issue above in that the new guy would have to tune a gun on a curve, the poi must change, again, physics.

I have three unregulated guns, all heavy calibers, I limit shots to control poi shift and that is no belief, that's cold empirical science, my friend.

I don't bash unregulated guns but I do understand that it's not necessary to show bigotry when it comes to noobs trying to break into an inexpensive pcp market in favor of a bias.
Ho boy 😂 😂

• Wow
Reactions: Firewalker
I’m the human regulator with my CZ200 Hunter. I fill to 185 bar, shoot 40 shots (4 preloaded magazines,) then refill. For its application, 30 yards and in, it’s deadly and spot on.

Whether regulated or unregulated, it’s important to learn your rifle. Shoot targets at every distance and know what’s going to happen. In my opinion it’s a must before you start taking lives. They may be pests, but they deserve a quick death.

The velocity variation is greater for a long string with an unregulated gun. You can a smaller number of shots before refilling to keep it down or shoot at shorter range where it won't matter significantly. 30 yards shouldn't be an issue for an unregulated guns. I shot well over 190 with my little Prod on the 30 yard challenge on one fill. Ed, who is keeping the numbers for the 30 yard challenge these days, shot a 200 with an unregulated Huntsman Revere. A 200 means he touched the roughly 1/8th diameter 10 ring at least 20 out of 24 shots. Not much room for added drop from velocity variation. I wouldn't worry about it for even 40 yard pesting or hunting. If you get a 1/4 inch drop at 40 yards how much does it matter.

4 out of my 5 PCPs are regulated as is the 6th which is on the way. Even relatively inexpensive PCPs are regulated these days. So if you prefer it it doesn't change the price range, just the make/model you will want to look at.

For back yard pesting, I would choose a Notos. It's a low 20s fpe rifle which will knock squirrels down with authority at 30-40 yards. Body shots too. But it won't carry 400-500 yards like my 30-50 fpe PCPs. It doesn't store a lot of air so it would be hand pump friendly.

If you want to be able to shoot longer ranges or occasional bigger pest like a raccoon, I would recommend an Avenger. For squirrels I think a 22 is extremely effective but if an occasional bigger pest is a possibility I would get a 25.

All 5 of my inexpensive PCPs (including a 25 Avenger) will hold air and have for over a year. Only two have not needed a new O-ring or two. That is a normal maintenance item for a PCP which I prefer to do myself. None of my guns has needed more than an O-ring or two.

Can you guys give me an idea of which PCP rifles would work for me? I want one for pest duty at 30-40yards. I need it to be accurate, able to sit totally full of air, and not leak for months. I was looking at the Beeman Chief 2 but then read about leaking problems and I don't want that. I would like to stay under $400 if possible. Thanks to you to all for a great forum!
The Gamo Urban would suit your needs and all you need is a hand pump to keep it charged. Mine served excellently, it gives up ”nothing” in pesting accuracy at your stated ranges and beyond. I now owned pricier, nicer rigs, but in practical honesty the Urban simply was stellar as my first PCP. The BSA barrel is well known for its accuracy…

The velocity variation is greater for a long string with an unregulated gun. You can a smaller number of shots before refilling to keep it down or shoot at shorter range where it won't matter significantly. 30 yards shouldn't be an issue for an unregulated guns. I shot well over 190 with my little Prod on the 30 yard challenge on one fill. Ed, who is keeping the numbers for the 30 yard challenge these days, shot a 200 with an unregulated Huntsman Revere. A 200 means he touched the roughly 1/8th diameter 10 ring at least 20 out of 24 shots. Not much room for added drop from velocity variation. I wouldn't worry about it for even 40 yard pesting or hunting. If you get a 1/4 inch drop at 40 yards how much does it matter.

4 out of my 5 PCPs are regulated as is the 6th which is on the way. Even relatively inexpensive PCPs are regulated these days. So if you prefer it it doesn't change the price range, just the make/model you will want to look at.

For back yard pesting, I would choose a Notos. It's a low 20s fpe rifle which will knock squirrels down with authority at 30-40 yards. Body shots too. But it won't carry 400-500 yards like my 30-50 fpe PCPs. It doesn't store a lot of air so it would be hand pump friendly.

If you want to be able to shoot longer ranges or occasional bigger pest like a raccoon, I would recommend an Avenger. For squirrels I think a 22 is extremely effective but if an occasional bigger pest is a possibility I would get a 25.

All 5 of my inexpensive PCPs (including a 25 Avenger) will hold air and have for over a year. Only two have not needed a new O-ring or two. That is a normal maintenance item for a PCP which I prefer to do myself. None of my guns has needed more than an O-ring or two.
Thanks for the help!

Reactions: Florida_Man
Am I wrong?
You people make things just so much more difficult that they need to be.

First of all I said "can tune " but in reality you can get the standard out the box zero it and start killing pest at 30-40 yards no problem, then down the line can refine the tune and the Standard has plenty easy adjustments to use with the transfer port and hammerspring.

It kills me that all of a sudden unless a gun is regulated it isn't valuable anylonger :rolleyes:

Also regulated guns have their own sets of problems and they are more difficult to solve for a newbe, simple unregulated guns are way more friendly for the neophyte

Between DAR or Airacuda? I'd go DAR myself. Now that may be because I was a tester for DAR before they ever were released.
I was given a .25 to test long range (out to 100 yards) after testing a bunch that others were testing. All the tests I had done before getting my DAR were limited to 30 to 50 yards. And those were all over the USA as I traveled. Probably didn't hurt having spent a weekend shooting with the Main Guy at DAR while at a chicken farm in California.
:)

Thanks to all you guys who gave advice! I just ordered a Notos from Natchezss so thanks for the heads up on that sale Firewalker.
I totally Buck-Rail modded mine out, but I kind of wish I kept it stock. Maybe just add the rail on the air tube. Carm or Maple mags are a nice addition. My stock magazine was nice, but the 3d printed ones are better.

IMG_3199.jpeg

Reactions: Firewalker