• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Which gun?

Your choice is not which rifle so much as a choice between electronics or mechanical.

If you do not favor, or want to try, the electronic rifle thing, then your choice is the Wolverine.

If you shoot lefty, then you may find that any of the electronic Daystate rifles are kind of wonky as you have to flip the rifle over to see the screen. I did not care for that aspect of operation, but as far as accuracy they are really same same at 12 or 20 ft. Lbs.

If you want the ability to tune for high velocity and go critter blasting or long range target shooting, the electronic rifles give you the edge in ease of 'turning it up'.

It's a shame that you didn't pose that question before the Az State match. Sandy won the Open class with a Wolverine and very likely would have let you try it. I can only think of 1 other rifle with as nice of firing behavior... the Taipan Vet. Even though Cole kicks our butt with his Vet on occasion, the Wolverine is still more appropriate for FT for most of us. It's perfect at that power level but struggles at higher powers for longer ranges like EFT.
I really feel the Red Wolf is in a class of its own, though. VERY versatile and capable of very high powers. I can see the aversion to dependence on a battery, though. The electronics are well debugged and have been very dependable. The cocking/loading is effortless and can be cycled quite fast. I'm sure AoA would let you try them to compare directly if you went there and asked.
The Prophet is a good rifle but read back through the 177 posts. I'm not sure of their appropriateness in 177.
I'm curious why you limited your choice to these 3.
Bob

Reactions: Centercut
I recently acquired a Wolverine R in .177 specifically for Hunter FT. I don’t have any other PCP (yet!) to give a fair comparison because I mainly shoot springers but the fact that it’s up there with the Red Wolf and still mechanical was a deciding factor for me. The gun handles well and is accurate. It likes the 10.3g AA and JSB heavies and gets a shot count in the hundreds out of the box with a velocity over 900 fps.

One thing that is deceptive, at least coming from a springer, is that it weights less than it looks. I wasn’t a fan of the included single shot tray but with the Rowan shot tray it is very easy to load and the multi-shot magazine is of good quality.

The trigger is nice but not as crisp as my TX200, but that might be subjective.

I think you will like it, but you could consider the FX Royal or FX Crown in the same price range.

-Marty