• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Which gun for EBR 75/100 Main Event?

Very tough decision. Either .30 FX Bobcat Mk2, shooting 44.75 JSB at 885 FPS, or .25 Cricket shooting JSB 33.95 Heavy Mk1 at 920 FPS. 

I shot three 5 shot groups Saturday morning with each in light wind. I set up both guns side by side and took turns shooting one group with one, then next group with the other. Cricket on the left, Bobcat on the right, distance approx. 95 yards.

The vertical dispersion on the Bobcat is notably better than the Cricket, but the Cricket seems a bit better as far as wind performance. Its almost too close to call, but the Bobcat is easier to shoot than the Cricket, so I'm going to go with that one. If center to center was measured, I think none of the groups were worse than an inch (well, maybe the first upper left Cricket group), since the targets are two inch diameter. The upper right (first) Bobcat target had two shots blow right a bit, which made that first group look worse than it really is. I held zero on each shot, and didn't readjust for score on any of the groups. My hold was at the left edge middle of each target...

To note, the .25 Cricket is Derrick Wall's gun @zx10wall that he sent me to use when I wasn't sure I'd get the Bobcat fixed in time from the jam up at RMAC (thanks Derrick!!!). But its obviously shooting well, still has a very slow leak that I haven't found, but it doesn't affect the accuracy, since it loses about 70 or 80 bar overnight. But looking at it after fill and when shooting I can't see any decrease. I replaced all o-rings on the gun, and installed a new valve pin and seat, but it still has the slow leak. So its time to do the soapy water spray to try and find what's leaking...Oh happy days... ;(

Cricket groups on left. Bobcat groups on right

1566837797_17629734825d640c259ab8e5.03319212_Bobcat-Cricket groups Aug2019.jpg

Hi Centercut, 

So regarding the wind deflection of different pellets, I'm afraid I can't help you. I personally would set up a constant lateral air-flow situation at an indoor range and simply measure deflection, hoping that deflection at short range would correlate well with deflection at long range. I suspect, based on what others have said/done, that .30 will outperform .25 but I genuinely don't know. 

Regarding which gun is more accurate though, I do actually have a recommendation DEPLOY STATISTICS!
http://taran.ptosis.ch/taran.html

A bit of work will be required inputting everything and getting it done, but what your eyeballs can't determine from these targets this calculator can. It can tell you your mean deviation from center, which is how EBR is ultimately scored. It might surprise you by showing that the two guns are actually statistically not close at all. 

Just my 2c. Hope it helps! 

Oh yeah, the groups shot with the Cricket Bobcat appear to be a tad superior to those of the Bobcat Cricket.

Just this AM I rediscovered my long neglected Daystate Wolverine Hi lite .22 cal. I shot groups at 40yards and 55 yards with the Daystate and my Taipan Veteran .22 short. 

Surprise!

The Daystate Wolverine stomped the Veteran at both distances. I admit some tuning could be performed on the Vet with the Hades pellets to squeeze out tighter groups.

I bring this up to point out how the new latest toys tend to dominate our attention, at the expense of some excellent "old" toys.

Why are you wasting pellets?

Aren't 3 shot groups the standard now?
1f609.svg

Great shooting, btw!

Ha! Well I was going to shoot some two shot groups but finally decided on five... ;) I actually think the groups on the right are better overall than the groups on the left. Remember that the .30 holes are considerably larger than the .25 caliber holes. 

it is my understanding that you are shooting one shot per target moving through like standard 25 and 50 meter targets as opposed to groups. If that is the case then it seems one needs to follow that routine and see which gun not only shoots best but which one the shooter shoots best in the format designated. If I have that wrong then please clarify target type.

I would shoot them both in the wind, trying to hit closest to center, and obviously holding not on the center, but estimating how much hold I need for wind. My understanding is that’s what you’re going to be doing at the big event. Many rifles shoot very well Calm conditions, and fall apart in the wind. 

I would pick very soon, and shoot that rifle in the wind as much as possible between now and the time of your tournament. And again, all the shooting I would do would be to try to put it in the center of the target, not groups. Even though I love to shoot groups. I would not shoot any other rifle, until After the competition. I’m sure you know what they say about a man who only owns one rifle...

Gotcha, makes sense. Unfortunately, I'm shooting four different rifles in four events. What I've determined in other testing not posted is that although the .30 moves a little more in the wind than the .25 Heavy Mk1, its movement seems to be more consistent and predictable. At least in the Bobcat compared to the Cricket.