• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Which gun/caliber should I go with for extreme benchrest/ extreme field target?

I'm looking to get the right gun for extreme benchrest and extreme field target. I'm looking at the FX Crown, FX Impact and RAW HM1000x. Out of those guns which is the easiest to tune and reliable?

I've noticed most of the field is shooting .30 Cal. Is there a disadvantage in using .22 Cal , or .25cal?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I’m looking forward to watching this thread. My 2 cents. Heavier pellets help w wind at distance. That’s why they use them. Plus they are supposed to fly flatter.
I don’t benchrest but I hit ground squirrels routinely past 100 yards. I primarily use a 25 and Wind is a huge issue.

Reliable. I recently picked up an impact and it looks like it has a ton of o rings. Maybe the crown or raw is simpler.

Probably all would be fine. But if you look at images from the Utah event a week or so ago, there were a LOT of impacts on the range

I’m looking forward to watching this thread. My 2 cents. Heavier pellets help w wind at distance. That’s why they use them. Plus they are supposed to fly flatter.
I don’t benchrest but I hit ground squirrels routinely past 100 yards. I primarily use a 25 and Wind is a huge issue.

Reliable. I recently picked up an impact and it looks like it has a ton of o rings. Maybe the crown or raw is simpler.

Probably all would be fine. But if you look at images from the Utah event a week or so ago, there were a LOT of impacts on the range
Yeah, I saw it was mostly Impacts in .30 Cal, but a .22 Crown took first place. I shot professional archery for a lot of years and for outdoor we always wanted the smallest diameter arrow. I was thinking a heavy .22 could have some advantages in the wind being a smaller diameter, but I don't have the experience to know yet.

Reactions: luxurycat
Assuming precision is the same, the projectile with the best BC would be best — since wind drift at those longer ranges is atrocious....

Assuming for a moment the aerodynamic shape is the same, the better projectile has a higher mass and/or less diameter (i.e., smaller caliber) = in technical terms, it has a higher sectional density.

E.g., if weight is the same, long .22 projectiles have a better BC than short .30 projectiles.

Matthias

Before my answer, the true test of shooting Benchrest was on display in recent weeks. Just when the Pellet Benchrest world thinks the formula is science we have conditions that change the game. RMAC 2022 is the example that proofs the myth equipment vs Shooter. You can caliber and tune to perfection and then weather, draw for Relay and lane choice come to play and it all comes down to SHOOTER. RMAC has the most challenging wind, temperature deviations, terrain deviations and sun affect over the course of 4 hours and 3 days of relays. Then factor the psychology of shooting a benchrest target. Can the Shooter Rip a card in 90 seconds if the conditions are right. The answer is Marksmanship. Just because your gun shoots well at 100 yards does not mean it shoots well at 75 yards.

Caliber choice is simple BC. You see the .30 only because of WIND. The barrel and its effect on a Pellet is key in Pellet Benchrest. (Cut vs pressed barrel). So the Pellet shape and weight over distance is a factor. I shoot .25, a personal choice, I can read my shots better in .25. This is why wind killed me card 2. I experienced 10 to 14 inch wind drift in 45 mph wind.

The choice of gun and tuneability is up to you. I am the proud owner of all three and I can tell you all tune well. The FX Impact is most tunable at the bench over the course of a 30 minute match, that is why you see them in competition. The Crown is most accurate but needs an half hour to tune to new local conditions. The RAW I shoot .22 in 25 yard, 50 yard and 75 yard with a adjustable front rest and at these distances on true Moa targets is best to score.

So my answer is if you master TUNING, FX Impact is your gun. Show up and shoot, the RAW 2 clips, clean the barrel before each match and expect bullet proof reliability. If you like the ART, you know the conditions and can treat her like a Queen, the FX Crown 3 clips.

And remember If you can't see and score your target at 100 yards you did not spend enough on your Scope.

All of the above is accurate and perceptive. One thing that never seems to get mentioned is LUCK. It sounds like a cop out, but it is a factor in how well you shoot at 100Y with pellets. For example, you could be cruising along using the "spray and pray" method, and as you pull the trigger the wind shifts direction, or you get a down or up draft, and your 8/9/10 turns into a 4 or worse. Skill gets you in the top 10, luck gets you in the top 3...

FYI, the .30 caliber 44.75 pellet that most Impact shooters favor has the MOST wind drift of the top 3 pellets, the .22 Monster RD and .25 King Heavy... But IMHO, the wind drift with the .30 pellet is more consistent than the other two.
Additionally, with the new experimental "slow twist" 1:40 FX Laser liners that some of the big names were using, the "Vertical Jump" experienced with quartering winds is less than with the .22 and .25 heavy pellets. The new FX slow twist liners are going "back to the future" in that they are shooting very much like the old FX Smooth Twist (ST) barrels in the .30 Bobcat and Boss.

Last edited:
First off let me say I don’t have the experience shooting ranges over about 50yd with pellets, I practiced a lot with both a .22 RedWolf (.22 RD’s) and a .30 RAW before the pyramid Aircup three years ago. I choose the .30 because it was more consistent and predictable.
I did ok on on my first qualifying card but not the second, I didn’t make it to the finals.
I also used flags and shot the way I normally do for the USARB comp’s but honestly I needed much more practice at these longer distance’s to truly understand or get a feeling for what they were telling me.
I want to shoot next year at both PAcup and hopefully RMAC? I will be shooting my new RAW in .25 I have the original polygon and a 10groove LW that I will be fitting to test out a theory? Both are 1/17.5 twist.
I also want to add that I have chosen a RAW because I’ve owned several over the yrs and have had about zero problem’s with them which gives me confidence in the gun and more time to concentrate on the competition. But all the major brands used have there pluses and minuses you will have to make that choice but when you do stick with it! I have changed brands to many times and it’s been very EXPENSIVE and TIME CONSUMING!

Last edited:
Before my answer, the true test of shooting Benchrest was on display in recent weeks. Just when the Pellet Benchrest world thinks the formula is science we have conditions that change the game. RMAC 2022 is the example that proofs the myth equipment vs Shooter. You can caliber and tune to perfection and then weather, draw for Relay and lane choice come to play and it all comes down to SHOOTER. RMAC has the most challenging wind, temperature deviations, terrain deviations and sun affect over the course of 4 hours and 3 days of relays. Then factor the psychology of shooting a benchrest target. Can the Shooter Rip a card in 90 seconds if the conditions are right. The answer is Marksmanship. Just because your gun shoots well at 100 yards does not mean it shoots well at 75 yards.

Caliber choice is simple BC. You see the .30 only because of WIND. The barrel and its effect on a Pellet is key in Pellet Benchrest. (Cut vs pressed barrel). So the Pellet shape and weight over distance is a factor. I shoot .25, a personal choice, I can read my shots better in .25. This is why wind killed me card 2. I experienced 10 to 14 inch wind drift in 45 mph wind.

The choice of gun and tuneability is up to you. I am the proud owner of all three and I can tell you all tune well. The FX Impact is most tunable at the bench over the course of a 30 minute match, that is why you see them in competition. The Crown is most accurate but needs an half hour to tune to new local conditions. The RAW I shoot .22 in 25 yard, 50 yard and 75 yard with a adjustable front rest and at these distances on true Moa targets is best to score.

So my answer is if you master TUNING, FX Impact is your gun. Show up and shoot, the RAW 2 clips, clean the barrel before each match and expect bullet proof reliability. If you like the ART, you know the conditions and can treat her like a Queen, the FX Crown 3 clips.

And remember If you can't see and score your target at 100 yards you did not spend enough on your Scope.
So can the RAW compete with the impacts on the 100-yard range? I was looking at past results and it seems like the RAWs finish in the top 10 often. It seems like it would be a better fit for me. They seem pretty easy to tune.

I’ve owned all brands you inquired about and personally prefer the RAW HM1000X LRT for its simplicity and reliability. If you want a rifle that is a shooter right out of the box the RAW should be a serious consideration. We have a 30 yard challenge going on now in the general forum where the RAWs and Thomas’ are doing very well. Sure, it’s only 30 yards and not 100 but most of us are Joe average shooters. FX builds a good rifle but can be a nightmare tuning one if you are not experienced. Personally I prefer shooting .22 MRDs and the RAW comes to you tuned to shoot them at ~950 and likely will not disappoint you as is. The only negative of the current RAW platform is the HUGE black zucchini on the end of the barrel. Oh and the RAW’s trigger is awesome. Mine came to me breaking at 3 ounces! The rifle is VERY heavy but weight is your friend on the bench.

The Impact trigger is one of the absolute worst of any higher end gun. The Crown has a better trigger than the Impact but neither are even close the the RAW’s trigger.

I’ve owned all brands you inquired about and personally prefer the RAW HM1000X LRT for its simplicity and reliability. If you want a rifle that is a shooter right out of the box the RAW should be a serious consideration. We have a 30 yard challenge going on now in the general forum where the RAWs and Thomas’ are doing very well. Sure, it’s only 30 yards and not 100 but most of us are Joe average shooters. FX builds a good rifle but can be a nightmare tuning one if you are not experienced. Personally I prefer shooting .22 MRDs and the RAW comes to you tuned to shoot them at ~950 and likely will not disappoint you as is. The only negative of the current RAW platform is the HUGE black zucchini on the end of the barrel. Oh and the RAW’s trigger is awesome. Mine came to me breaking at 3 ounces! The rifle is VERY heavy but weight is your friend on the bench.

The Impact trigger is one of the absolute worst of any higher end gun. The Crown has a better trigger than the Impact but neither are even close the the RAW’s trigger.
It seems like they compete with the FX guns in the pro class as well.

Keep in mind that FX is probably one of the largest retailers of mid to high end air guns with a huge market share. They also have an even larger presence in social media and YouTube platforms which is a much larger presence than RAW or Daystate. That alone could be why you see more FX in competition?

I shied away from RAW for several years thinking their platform was old, antiquated and so far behind the technology of FX and Daystate platforms and therefore It had to be inferior. I’m here to say my opinion was way off base. I’ve since sold all my FXs and Daystates and a host of other ”brands”. My RAWs turned out to be the rifle I had searched diligently for in so many other brands. They may not be for everyone but I am very satisfied with mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThomasT
Yeah, I saw it was mostly Impacts in .30 Cal, but a .22 Crown took first place. I shot professional archery for a lot of years and for outdoor we always wanted the smallest diameter arrow. I was thinking a heavy .22 could have some advantages in the wind being a smaller diameter, but I don't have the experience to know yet.
All of the above is accurate and perceptive. One thing that never seems to get mentioned is LUCK. It sounds like a cop out, but it is a factor in how well you shoot at 100Y with pellets. For example, you could be cruising along using the "spray and pray" method, and as you pull the trigger the wind shifts direction, or you get a down or up draft, and your 8/9/10 turns into a 4 or worse. Skill gets you in the top 10, luck gets you in the top 3...

FYI, the .30 caliber 44.75 pellet that most Impact shooters favor has the MOST wind drift of the top 3 pellets, the .22 Monster RD and .25 King Heavy... But IMHO, the wind drift with the .30 pellet is more consistent than the other two.
Additionally, with the new experimental "slow twist" 1:40 FX Laser liners that some of the big names were using, the "Vertical Jump" experienced with quartering winds is less than with the .22 and .25 heavy pellets. The new FX slow twist liners are going "back to the future" in that they are shooting very much like the old FX Smooth Twist (ST) barrels in the .30 Bobcat and Boss.
great barrels they were for sure great idea fx

Keep in mind that FX is probably one of the largest retailers of mid to high end air guns with a huge market share. They also have an even larger presence in social media and YouTube platforms which is a much larger presence than RAW or Daystate. That alone could be why you see more FX in competition?

I shied away from RAW for several years thinking their platform was old, antiquated and so far behind the technology of FX and Daystate platforms and therefore It had to be inferior. I’m here to say my opinion was way off base. I’ve since sold all my FXs and Daystates and a host of other ”brands”. My RAWs turned out to be the rifle I had searched for diligently for in so many other brands. They may not be for everyone but I am very satisfied with mine.
Does FX pay contingency money?

Reactions: douger
So can the RAW compete with the impacts on the 100-yard range? I was looking at past results and it seems like the RAWs finish in the top 10 often. It seems like it would be a better fit for me. They seem pretty easy to tune.
No airgun is easy to tune. But time spent tuning is what makes the Marksman. The RAW has only one adjustment and then the internals factor in the tune. Yes the RAW does compete and I believe will find the conditions and luck to take the podium at RMAC.

My first HM1000X arrived so stupid crazy accurate I was scared to death to make any adjustments to it. I had never shot an air rifle as accurate In my life. When I missed I was mad because I knew it was me and not the rifle, which was something that eluded me previously. I purchased a second LRT and I’ve made lots of HS and regulator adjustments with similar accuracy success as the first. It’s tuned to shoot 18s and my first one is still in the OEM tune to shoot 25.4 MRDs.

I’ve yet to shoot a Thomas but have a hunch that it’s even a step above the RAW … I hope to experience one someday but until then the RAW scratches my itch.

This is my set up at the PAcup, (.30 RAW) this is during practice, Oh and that’s me!!!
A3FB9D17-A861-44CA-85EB-DFDE9372783C.png