N/A Which game changer do you like the best?

MACTEN

Nov 18, 2020
IA
I really like the cylinder over barrel idea only because it's such a minimalist approach that it's hard not to.
I've been looking at all the offerings that have come out as of late and just wondered what others thought about that platform?

The FX DRS looks really good (like the beautiful wood stock best) and seems to be possibly lower priced than most of their other airguns, but that remains to be seen.
It will be accurate I'm sure
I also don't really have a desire for sub 12 and hope they come out with a FAC version unless I missed it as an offering.

The Altaros M24 is another one of these (C.O.B) rifles that touts extreme accuracy at long range and longest recorded accurate shot.

The JTS Stealth Hawk with AV looking polymer stock (but seems nicer to me) is probably much cheaper than the FX and Altaros and seems to be another solid Snowpeak M30 rebrand,
So It will likely be GTG. Couldn't find a decent picture of it.

The Barra 250Z? Also likely much less expensive that the Altaros or FX offerings and also a Snowpeak M30C rebrand with a slightly different stock and maybe some other small changes.

Then there's the Original Snowpeak M30 and now (updated M30c that came later) that appears to have started the whole trend years ago which looks like you can only find new old stock that are available.

I think the price points that the Barra and JTS decide to offer these will likely determine which one wins one of the New Hot Inexpensive PCP impulse buy wars this year.

FX will have plenty of people who grab theirs, especially if offered in FAC and price is kept to a sane amount.

And Altaros will still likely keep breaking through the distance ceiling with the M24 copy.

DRS-Walnut-500mm.jpg

altaros-m24.jpg

Barra.jpg

M30C-Snowpeak.jpg

M30-Snowpeak.jpg

Last edited:
The JTS is NOT an M30 rebranded, while the Barra is definitely the M30C under a new name. The price point that was thrown around was $599 for the JTS. The most interesting thing about the JTS for me (having handled it at SHOT) was the bolt action itself. They've devised a way to separate the bolt operation difficulty from the hammer spring tension. That's something that sets it well apart from the M30 platform. We will see how tunable both are when they come out I suppose, but it's an interesting trend to see for sure, especially considering how long the M30 has been on the market for.

Oh, and they have already announced variants of the DRS that are FAC power levels. I believe the opening price point on the DRS line is $1000.

The JTS is NOT an M30 rebranded, while the Barra is definitely the M30C under a new name. The price point that was thrown around was $599 for the JTS. The most interesting thing about the JTS for me (having handled it at SHOT) was the bolt action itself. They've devised a way to separate the bolt operation difficulty from the hammer spring tension. That's something that sets it well apart from the M30 platform. We will see how tunable both are when they come out I suppose, but it's an interesting trend to see for sure, especially considering how long the M30 has been on the market for.

Oh, and they have already announced variants of the DRS that are FAC power levels. I believe the opening price point on the DRS line is $1000.
I see.. I assumed it was the cylinder over the barrel they said was the big innovation and it turns out it's bolt action.. Cool. $599 seems like a good price point. I guess looking at it I assumed it was a Snowpeak since they seem to have come out with the COB first years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: RM.510bigbore
I see.. I assumed it was the cylinder over the barrel they said was the big innovation and it turns out it's bolt action.. Cool. $599 seems like a good price point. So what other Chinese company makes cylinder over barrel airguns now?
And I just saw a short and that isn't a synthetic stock at all.. I really like that stock almost as well as the FX. I'm leaning towards the JTS with external adjustment for reg. Or the FX for 1K.

Last edited:
Reactions: RM.510bigbore
I think I'd stick with fx being they have great support

Yes! Hope Utah air can keep up with the demand. I always had great experience with Utah air and same with FX USA. But Utahair has to do both now so hope they can ramp up fast.

I am very interested in the DRS sub12 if Aeon can make a FT chassis soon!

Reactions: MACTEN
I haven't seen a take-down video of the FX yet but I watched the video Giles Berry did of the SPA M30 and that system is not as simple as it looks from the outside. He did a running tally of how many o-rings were used and it was 50. Have fun chasing down a leak.

Yes, definitely not a simple system, but they have made a number of improvements to the platform over the last few years, particularly the reg. The performance of the gun in my testing has been considerably improved over versions from back when Giles made that video years ago.

'Game changers' are often marketing ploys to get you to spend/invest in a business. Nothing remarkable or game changing has developed in quite a few years for pcps. One could argue semi auto, but the K1 has been around for ages and has done that just fine...Altering where the air is stored is not game changing....I personally am not fond of it whatsoever, barrel swaps/caliber changing and air tube maintenance on these sounds like a major pain...a step back more than a step forward in my book.

-Matt

Yes, definitely not a simple system, but they have made a number of improvements to the platform over the last few years, particularly the reg. The performance of the gun in my testing has been considerably improved over versions from back when Giles made that video years ago.
Good to know! It is a winner on paper, that's for sure. I can't wait to watch a tear down down video.

Reactions: MongooseV8
I already paid for a stubby walnut DRS. I was chirping away about how dumb it would be if they only offered it in blowgun power levels. Someone sent me a link to the DRS with normal power and a nice shot count for its limited capacity and max pressure. Had to put my money where my mouth is. Now I wait. Filling a gun nowadays is almost a joke compared to hand pumping like a madman years ago. The minimalist approach is very appealing to me. I’m just not into the whole harpoon looking gun PRS thing. If I was, the heck with bottles. I’d try one if it gave me the shots I needed to complete what I needed to complete. I’m just not going to be toting around one of those things unless I’m competing with it. Hoping the classic will enable me to sell two of my other .22’s if it’s lovable. Not selling anything yet. If it requires a big mod that puts it at 40+ inches, someone will be getting a good deal when I sell it.

Reactions: MACTEN