• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Which filter is best?

I have ordered a Yong Heng compressor. There seems to be two ways to get the water out of the air going into the air gun. 

1. 12" gold aluminum tube with drying beads, charcoal and cotton.

2. Or, Amazon has a 30 mpa high pressure air filter external water oil separator filtration. It also comes in what looks like a 12" gold tube. This option does not use consumables like #1. There is a valve at the bottom of the tube to let the oil and water out. Price is $132.00

Those of you with experience, which one would you recommend. 

the single one, just run it up higher than the pump outlet and vertical .. mostly what those things do is cool the air charge and cause the water to condense out, the actual filter cartridge doesnt do a whole lot except cause slight back pressure which is desirable, the beads 'may' absorb some moisture but you'll see when you open it up theres water everywhere lol .. they aint doing that much .. i guess you could get more complex and add a dual unit and all that, but its not going to be necessary imo unless your filling multiple tanks and running it a whole lot .. when your done filling you break the can open and dry it out .. its not like it sits there for months until the cartridge needs to be changed, doesnt work like that ...

Keep your moisture filters, guns and tanks being filled above the compressor to help keep the moisture out.

Purge the system of moisture, using the screw valves on both sides of the compressor, for a couple of seconds every five minutes while in use.

Change out your small YH filter every twenty minutes and set the old one out to dry and reuse later.

Depending on your environment add a better filter if needed to be sure more moisture and any oil smell is removed from the system. Many of us use this Tuxing three media filter although, if you feel the need, you can change media types at any time.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32891898253.html

A smaller one will probly do for some.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000960926898.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2a034c4dL0nrJU

Possibly a filter similar one of these, in addition to your desiccant filter, if humidity is high in your area and your desiccant filters have to be replaced often.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30MPa-High-Pressure-Air-Filter-Oil-Water-Separator-For-Air-Pump-Air-Tank/402600939671?hash=item5dbce2d097:g:pRoAAOSwy41f00pY

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33032569946.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.56fc60ccm8gTGq&ad_pvid=20210607072408105818162084010006558357_1&s=p

Rangeland

Which version of the Yong Heng are you getting? The cheapest "Simple" version lacks a Cyclone water separator, which you need. You should get the "Hardcover" or "Set Pressure" versions.

My initial set-up is with 12" aluminum gold Tuxing, the small black (cotton filled) YH filter, attached to bottom and 4" blue (cotton filled) filter, attached to top. I'm using in humid Florida garage and may need to improve with $132 water removal system, if this set-up fills with water. 

Please note, all I'm sharing was patiently and kindly taught to me by Biohazardman. If anything is helpful, that I share, he gets the credit. I'm just a pupil, he's the Master. 

WM

#2 I use a tiny inline cotton filter after and it stays white and bone dry 

PSX_20191210_160038.1625469572.jpg

Well, I'm not pumping breathable air. That lowers the filter requirements quite a bit.

I will say, where you live makes quite a difference. I live in Utah where humidity is so low in summer, it'll be much less of a problem than in Mississippi.

My setup is a single extra filter in addition to the YH filter. I've not had any problems with water in my tanks. Removed the valve from one last week, no sign of water. It's a very simple setup. I do replace the YH filters relatively frequently. Just keep an eye on them. The YH filter catches most of the gunk, so I only change the secondary filter when it needs it and that's not very often.

Your AGN info says you are in New Mexico. I would probably get a single extra filter, and bleed the water side (right side bleeder valve. Left side is to bleed some oil residue) every 3 to 5 minutes for a couple seconds, just enough to see the spray stop. You'll understand the first time you do it. From my experience in Utah, bleeding frequently and using the single extra filter is probably sufficient. Try it and if the second filter gets wet, either bleed more often, or get extra filters. You can build from your experience.