Which compressor to last you 20 years?

Something capable of the duty cycles that scuba shops would submit them to. I like stuff that is meant to be used way harder than I plan to subject it to. Not the huge units obviously. That was my guideline. 8 years later, I've had to replace 2 orings in the high pressure head so I'm 1 dollar into repairs, never had to worry about water seperators or other plumbing, Fill my great white tank from 1800 psi to 4500 psi in about 6-7 min, weekly-ish. But it was 3.5k$, it's heavy, requires 220 and thus has to have a permanent home (spot in my hobby room), so it wont work for everyone, certainly not for the casual airgunner thats not willing to commit that money and space. 

No experience with units other than mine. .Mine happens to be an AirTex

David, 

I’m certainly no expert, but I have had a great experience with my shoebox f10...Yes, I admit its slow...I filled my great white from 3500-4600 in an hour and 45 minutes...no muss no fuss...rebuilds are easy, just orings and silicone oil..it’s American made, and parts are easily located...standard motors, belts and since the pistons are just machined steel rods, not much to go wrong...

it’s slow, and requires a shop compressor for the first stage...but it’s priced at 499, 

I've added dryers to both input and output with no issues...not sure of 20 yrs, but the mfr says rebuild after 70 hours of run time, and the compressor came with 4 or 5 oring kits for the rebuilds....

I’m retired, and have plenty of time to shoot my tank down, also plenty of time to let the shoebox plug along filling my tank

i’ve got about 12 hours on it so far...I’m sure lotsa guys have Way more experience with it than I do...

good luck with your purchase,

Mike (Reames)

Hello-

I am not so sure the correct answer to your question is which compressor will last 20 years, rather it is which compressor can be rebuilt, indefinitely?

I do know that Shoebox compressors certainly can be rebuilt. Also, Coltri compressors can be rebuilt, and Coltri provides how-to videos on their website, showing the user how to maintain their compressor. Coltri parts are also readily available from multiple sources.

There may be others I am not aware of, hopefully those who know more about them will chime in. (For reference- I have owned a Shoebox F10, and have just received my Coltri.)

Kind regards,

I have a Shoebox F8 but cannot find my leak. If I could fix it I would just stick with it. I have changed some orings and sprayed soapy water all over it but cannot find my leak. I wish they had a service center .

I was planning to but an Airetex. The small compressor Bruce is selling now is the L100. I don’t know anything about it but I live close to Bruce and trust what he sells. I have never heard complaints about anything Bruce sells and I know could fix anything that went bad down the road. I still feel buying from Bruce will be my best long term strategy

I have friends telling me that the Air Venturi will do the job. 

Thanks for the replies,

David Enoch

Hello David. As stated by others your looking at a compressor made for scuba duty cycles to reach the life your asking about. Only experience I have had is with the Omega and the Daystar T-2. The Omega was a good little compressor, but needed attention periodically. Mainly the check valve seat would get dirty and need replaced about every 20 hours or so. It came with extra parts and no big deal. 3 min with a Qtip. About 2 years in it started to get tired and the head needed rebuilt. In my opinion the Omega is a step above the other Chinese compressors simply because of the service that Tod provides at AOA. He had me unbolt the head and send just it to him and it came back brand new for about 100 bucks. Then I bought the Daystar T-2. It provides breathable air and fills a 74 CF tank in under 5 min. With the fast fill time it just doesn't accumulate any hours, comes with auto shut-off and all the filters. Down-side is the cost, but I believe they are the less expensive option in the long run because they will out last multiple Chinese units. Plus when you decide to sell it, it should bring a premium. Good luck. sylvan

Hey David, I recently had the same exact problem with my Shoebox Max and after emailing Tom Kay from ShoeboxCompressor.com he said to try re-aligning the piston rods, I followed his re-alignment YouTube video and problem solved, I’ve had my Shoebox for 3 1/2 years now and I could easily keep this puppy running for 20 years with proper maintenance, not saying parts won’t wear out here and there but every part of the Shoebox is easily sourced here in the USA.

I have a Shoebox F8 but cannot find my leak. If I could fix it I would just stick with it. I have changed some orings and sprayed soapy water all over it but cannot find my leak. I wish they had a service center .

I was planning to but an Airetex. The small compressor Bruce is selling now is the L100. I don’t know anything about it but I live close to Bruce and trust what he sells. I have never heard complaints about anything Bruce sells and I know could fix anything that went bad down the road. I still feel buying from Bruce will be my best long term strategy

I have friends telling me that the Air Venturi will do the job. 

Thanks for the replies,

David Enoch

David,

If soapy water doesn't identify the leak, as you say, then I suspect that one of your pistons is traveling too far during the compression stroke and is striking the back-check valve. Simply remove the small high pressure fittings with a wrench and move them aside. Then, stick a toothpick into the holes until you feel it touch the back-check valve. Then, while holding the toothpick against the back-check valve, manually turn the crankshaft to top dead center on the compression stroke. If you can feel any movement at all with the toothpick, then your piston is hitting the back-check valve and it is knocking it open when it is supposed to be fully closed. If so, then the piston needs to be adjusted slightly. Simply follow the video instructions on Tom's website on how to adjust the pistons. At top dead center on the compression stroke, your pistons should be adjusted as close as possible to the back-check valves without actually touching them. If either one of your pistons touches one of the back-check valves, then their purpose is defeated and your compressor can't compress the air. Instead, the air simply moves back and forth in the affected cylinder instead of compressing and moving on down the line to the tank. Adjusting the pistons is a very simple task and it's easy to do. 

If you don't feel the pistons moving your toothpick, then your pistons are properly adjusted and are not striking the back-check valves and you'll have to look elsewhere for the leak.

In this case I suspect that the o-ring that seals the burst disc cover is bad. If it is, you should see soap bubbles coming out from under the main block while the compressor is operating. The old F8 compressors were sent out with an o-ring there that is prone to leakage. This o-ring has since been upgraded. The original o-rings were black in color. Simply replace it with one of the white ones. Follow the instructions in the video on Tom's site on how to remove the main block. Once you've removed it, simply turn it upside down. On the bottom of the main block there is a small aluminum plug. Simply take that plug out. If it doesn't just fall out on its own, you may have to squirt a shot of low pressure air from your shop compressor to get it out. In this case, make sure you cover it with a towel to catch it so that you don't blow it clear across the room and lose it. Once the plug is out, replace the old black o-ring that's beneath it with a new white o-ring. Then put the aluminum plug back in and re-install the main block. I've actually performed this task and it's far less difficult than one would think.

If you wish, PM me and I will help you over the phone. I hate to see you spend thousands to replace your Shoebox Compressor that, if it didn't leak, would perfectly meet all your needs.

Oh, one more thing: You will never find a compressor that is easier, simpler, or less expensive to maintain and overhaul. There simply isn't one, anywhere, at any price! For ease of maintenance and low cost, you've already got, by a country mile at least, the best there is. Further, (and this is only a very slight exaggeration), if you have the technical skills necessary to replace the washers on a garden hose, then you have enough technical ability to completely overhaul your Shoebox Compressor. If you don't wish to master your Shoebox Compressor, then your only viable option is to rent a nitrogen tank and regulator....., and don't buy ANY compressor. 

BeemanR7

Nothing lasts 20 years not even marriage!

Sure it does. Get a German Bauer. My Bauer is a 4 stage, 80 liters per min, with a dryer on every stage. It is a Model KA14E manufactured in 1960. It compresses to rated pressure and at the stated volume. I did add modern controls, but that's it. It is a two man carry, heavy for sure, but never the less portable.

HI I did buy a AIRTEX from Bill I can say Bill and his wife are good honest people and the Airtex is great product i use it like 3x a week only had 1 problem when it was new It was assembled with a defective silica filter , so I called Bruce said it is leaking air and he shipped out the filter just unscrew a cap and pop it in and put cap on since then trouble free and quiet and fast . It fills my big tank from 2500 to 4500 in like 5 to 7 min , it fills my pcp guns either running 30 seconds or less .

Just for record it is 220v so as long as you have power for it , it is great unit ,, I looked at my hour meter in 2 years running it as much as I do I have like 8 hours on it .

My old airmax was breaking every time I used it from cords , switches , piston rings 13 times water pump what a mess , I gave it away to a friend with 8 sets of rings extra switches and the daily repairs to fill your gun lol .

Their may be a good Chinese one I wasn't interested after dealing with the Modair air-max