Which compressor and why?

sgergen-You note portable. Nuvair (and possibly Daystate but not certain) makes a gasoline engine powered version of the smaller compressors (possibly diesel as well?). That would provide true "portability" as you would not be tied to any electrical outlet. Again, search NUVAIR HPA and you can view their 110, 220, and gas powered versions of the Coltri MC6H based compressors. I will probably purchase gas powered myself.

Note in his post where he listed 4 important factors. C was portability. And he mentioned prairie dog shooting-isn't that a warmer weather thing?. Can't see why a gas powered version of the compressor wouldn't work perfectly well for those conditions. Of course, a portable generator should run a 110 compressor easily enough also. Just another option for the person to consider.

I'd like to clarify a few points made in the posts above.

I compare the Omega compressors to motorized hand pumps, not the Yong Heng class of compressors. A Yong Heng compressor might be easy for someone to service but the Omega o rings require an extensive tear down to replace them. If someone's budget and risk tolerance is for an economy Chinese compressor, I understand and do not berate them for their choice.

That being said, comparing the Daystate LC110 to the $200 Yong Heng class does not mean the Daystate buyer is "flat stupid". What a Daystate buyer is getting is operating convenience, much longer life span, much higher residual resale value, and much less likelihood of short term mechanical failure. He is also getting drier air that won't damage air tanks and PCPs.

Someone may choose to have a $200 PCP rather than an FX Crown. It's a matter of personal budget, personal risk, and personal choice.

A little confused, I think you said the omega uses orings, and the yong heng uses orings....this is why I drew them in my mind to being equal mechanically. You say the daystate used metal orings, so I put that into a different class. It is an apples and oranges. Yes it does the same job of putting air in the tank but it gets there via a different mechanical process with the real metal piston rings....i assume. So if the heart of the system is the same, the part that does the sealing is the same between two products one costing 10x more, will require the same kind of repair, but require you to ship it away for that repair, I find that not well informed.

But then again I see a $200pcp over an FX Crown in the same basic light, based on my research and the threads on this very forum of this or that FX with this or that issue, I have trouble in understanding that choice...on something that is reviewed by so many people to have so many issues. In my research Daystate seems to be in a different class, and I don't read the issues with those like you do with FX.

I understand the case for a Yong Heng or similar...I just have zero interest in becoming an expert in researching "work arounds", "tweaks", and repair techniques for one. And, from what I've seen, that is pretty much what you're signing up to do when you decide to purchase one. For some folks, they don't mind and will happily plug along with a $200-$250 compressor for as long as the ride lasts...then either fix or re-purchase. Me? Not interested.

I want a compressor that will:

A) Be as safe as possible...while dealing with 4500 PSI and a mechanical device (which includes me NOT "fixing" or "tweaking" it)

B) Be reliable. I want it to work when I need it to work...otherwise what good is it? Again, understanding that it is a human-made mechanical device.

C) Be portable and flexible. I don't want 220V, I don't want to mess with buckets and hoses. Portable meaning I can load it in my pickup to go on prairie dog hunting trips.

D) Have support available. Seems that Omega and Daystate (Coltri) both have this.

I understand this is going to require me to plop down well over $1000...I just want to do so only one time.

Scott

Not in my experience, mine has been fill with oil plug in and run.

As far as safe as possible, I think your tank, hoses are far more dangerous over the small volume that would be in the compressor itself, as to reliable, again in my sample size of 1 I have done nothing to it....at all.

Really I look at this a little like many other products out there, there is the "name brand" and some people want that, and I am cool with this, however when comments like " just have zero interest in becoming an expert in researching "work arounds", "tweaks", and repair techniques for one. And, from what I've seen, that is pretty much what you're signing up to do when you decide to purchase one." my BS flag goes up....sure you are going to find an account here and there, and then how many of those accounts are accurate, as many just sound like part of a dog pile.

Note in his post where he listed 4 important factors. C was portability. And he mentioned prairie dog shooting-isn't that a warmer weather thing?. Can't see why a gas powered version of the compressor wouldn't work perfectly well for those conditions. Of course, a portable generator should run a 110 compressor easily enough also. Just another option for the person to consider.

I don't think I could shoot enough in a day to need a "in-the-field" solution for air other than my 4500 PSI SCBA tank. If I need that much air, I'm in big trouble as I'm sure to be overrun and killed by the furry little rodents.

I only want electric powered.

Scott

@sgergen

220 is not as big a problem as so many seem to think. Either you, or an electrician, can install a dedicated line in about an hour.

Not so much worried about it at home, could pretty easily add 220v in the basement and/or in the garage. The problem is that 220v units are usually more expensive (they are usually faster), and when I use the compressor away from my home I'm not guaranteed that the place I may be staying has a 220v outlet for my use, or the right style of 220v outlet for my use.

So - stick with 110v.

Scott

I understand the case for a Yong Heng or similar...I just have zero interest in becoming an expert in researching "work arounds", "tweaks", and repair techniques for one. And, from what I've seen, that is pretty much what you're signing up to do when you decide to purchase one. For some folks, they don't mind and will happily plug along with a $200-$250 compressor for as long as the ride lasts...then either fix or re-purchase. Me? Not interested.

A) Be as safe as possible...while dealing with 4500 PSI and a mechanical device (which includes me NOT "fixing" or "tweaking" it)

B) Be reliable. I want it to work when I need it to work...otherwise what good is it? Again, understanding that it is a human-made mechanical device.

C) Be portable and flexible. I don't want 220V, I don't want to mess with buckets and hoses. Portable meaning I can load it in my pickup to go on prairie dog hunting trips.

D) Have support available. Seems that Omega and Daystate (Coltri) both have this.

I understand this is going to require me to plop down well over $1000...I just want to do so only one time.

Scott

Not in my experience, mine has been fill with oil plug in and run.

As far as safe as possible, I think your tank, hoses are far more dangerous over the small volume that would be in the compressor itself, as to reliable, again in my sample size of 1 I have done nothing to it....at all.

Really I look at this a little like many other products out there, there is the "name brand" and some people want that, and I am cool with this, however when comments like " just have zero interest in becoming an expert in researching "work arounds", "tweaks", and repair techniques for one. And, from what I've seen, that is pretty much what you're signing up to do when you decide to purchase one." my BS flag goes up....sure you are going to find an account here and there, and then how many of those accounts are accurate, as many just sound like part of a dog pile.

Fair enough - I respect your opinion. I'm basing my statements on the threads I see here regarding the low cost compressors as well as other airgun forums. I have no way of knowing how many of these accounts are accurate - could be that most are...could be that most are not.

Scott

Reactions: Humdinger

Scott

My thought exactly, +1 for you. The penalty of the $200 class of 4500 psi compressors is a lack of durability, reliability, omission of essential features, operating inconvenience, poor to no longevity, and weak to no resale value. Using the "only buy a cheap compressor" logic applied to everything means unless you drive a Yugo, live in a cabin, and eat Ramen noodles you're wasting your money.

You get what you pay for applies to everything in life. It's personal choice as to what represents value. I'd rather own one less $2K PCP than give up the convenience of a high quality reliable compressor that will work for years and have a good resale value in years to come.

No problems, Scott. You know what you want. But you did state "portable meaning I can load it in my pickup" in your post. I was simply noting options for that expressed desire to be able to "load it in my pickup". I can certainly understand wanting electrical only. It would be much more simple in many respects. But for portability you would still need a source of electricity. Either a generator or electricity near the shooting site. For maximum mobility, neither 110 nor 220 could match the gas power. For my uses, I have considered both 110 and 220 (both of which I have on site) as well as gas. I plan to buy gas. If I were ever in a location without 220 (or even 110 for whatever reason) I could power the compressor. 

Enjoy whichever compressor you choose. The ability to have the HPA is all that matters.

Scott

My thought exactly, +1 for you. The penalty of the $200 class of 4500 psi compressors is a lack of durability, reliability, omission of essential features, operating iconvenience, poor to no longevity, and weak to no resale value. Using the "only buy a cheap compressor" logic applied to everything means unless you drive a Yugo, live in a cabin, and eat Ramen noodles you're wasting your money.

You get what you pay for applies to everything in life. It's personal choice as to what represents value. I'd rather own one less $2K PCP than give up the convenience of a high quality reliable compressor that will work for years and have a good resale value in years to come.

You get what you pay for....to a point, then you pay for a name. Some people can't see that. Perhaps not a yugo, but a Kia, Hyundai? 

Darn good cars, and do everything they are built to do, some people are so snobby in this HOBBY it really is a shame.

The pure truth is the things that cost 10x more are not 10x better, they are not 2x better, And those that shell out multi thousands need to justify their choices to not only themselves but the entire community.

Really a shame, as the "cheap" stuff is really not cheap but inexpensive....and there is a difference. And this snobby elitist attitude puts so many off this hobby as they think they need to roll in with $5k to buy a PCP and fill it at home....minimum, that is not the case.

You may get....some....fit and finnish over the more inexpensive products, but as far as function not that I have seen.

I don't see it as a "snobby, elitist attitude" at all. Simply people discussing pros and cons. I have a Yong Heng that is still working fine. I have a Tuxing that is probably 6 months older and which has now failed. While it worked it was fine. Will the YH fail? Who knows but it seems from what I have read that the failure rate for the YH/Tuxing/clone compressors is higher than for AirVenturi/HatsanLightning compressors which is higher than for dive quality compressors. All relative. Buy what you want. But accusing those with a different opinion of snobby elitism seems off the mark.

Now that I have decided to continue shooting PCP air guns I will buy a dive quality compressor. Not snobby, not elitist, just logical to me. I plan to buy a gasoline powered compressor. Makes the most sense for me. Others have stated clearly that they are only interested in electrical powered versions, some noting 220 is the best way to go and others believing 110 is best for them. Your logic may differ but everyone's final solution will probably be best for them.

EDITED TO ADD FURTHER CONTENT...

If I were on a tight budget and in the market for a CHINESE YONG HENG, I would just save a little more to get ONE OF THESE...

They SURE RESEMBLE THE $1299.99-$1399.00 Air Venturi and Hatsan compressors! Can't say for sure if they are the same though!

DON'T QUOTE ME ON IT!!!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/110V-220V-4500PSI-300bar-30mpa-Double-Cylinder-PCP-Electric-air-pump-high-pressure-air-compressor-for/32760059155.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000013.2.67b72532KOK3KP&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.99734.0&scm_id=1007.13339.99734.0&scm-url=1007.13339.99734.0&pvid=a06d6a80-7b60-40ee-ab18-4d8725871936

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/auto-release-air-and-auto-stop-300-bar-High-pressure-pcp-4500psi-airgun-air-compressor-220V/32803323053.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000014.5.76ef356516b19b&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.13338.112238.000000000000000&scm_id=1007.13338.112238.000000000000000&scm-url=1007.13338.112238.000000000000000&pvid=48ce7d1c-183b-4c90-9382-63b81502b248

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4500PSI-300bar-30mpa-Adjustable-auto-stop-function-Electric-double-Cylinder-air-compressor-for-PCP-air-tank/32831137727.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000014.28.3f5a2af4SoDylW&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.13338.112238.000000000000000&scm_id=1007.13338.112238.000000000000000&scm-url=1007.13338.112238.000000000000000&pvid=56a8f889-6d7a-4a43-b926-7194b30dbb0d

https://sale.aliexpress.com/__pc/buyerprotection-seller_guaranteed.htm?spm=2114.10010108.1000016.7.47495e68fUtxoi#2

They were few reports of defective units (NOT THESE but for the other cheaper Yong Heng types) where the seller just refunded the money in full to the buyers for defective items and told the buyer not to bother shipping them back... FYI...

They may be a viable alternative to the OMEGA which cost up to 4x as much...

THAT IS IF I WAS FORCED TO DO CHEAP...

I really wonder how much the Alpha and Omega Supercharger is marked up???

If I was FORCED to buy CHINESE then I want it as CHEAP as possible...

Same goes for Chinese scopes and airguns wonder how much markup they really have???

I found my favorite $399 Nova Freedom at Bud's Gunshop selling for $287 at their regular price a month ago.

It is now in the $320 price range and out of stock.

$29.76 Beeman P17 including Beeman red dot sight for another example... If you really think about it...

CA

Reactions: sonny

EDITED TO ADD FURTHER CONTENT...

If I were on a tight budget and in the market for a CHINESE YONG HENG, I would just save a little more to get ONE OF THESE...

They SURE RESEMBLE THE $1299.99-$1399.00 Air Venturi and Hatsan compressors! Can't say for sure if they are the same though!

DON'T QUOTE ME ON IT!!!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/110V-220V-4500PSI-300bar-30mpa-Double-Cylinder-PCP-Electric-air-pump-high-pressure-air-compressor-for/32760059155.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000013.2.67b72532KOK3KP&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.99734.0&scm_id=1007.13339.99734.0&scm-url=1007.13339.99734.0&pvid=a06d6a80-7b60-40ee-ab18-4d8725871936

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/auto-release-air-and-auto-stop-300-bar-High-pressure-pcp-4500psi-airgun-air-compressor-220V/32803323053.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000014.5.76ef356516b19b&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.13338.112238.000000000000000&scm_id=1007.13338.112238.000000000000000&scm-url=1007.13338.112238.000000000000000&pvid=48ce7d1c-183b-4c90-9382-63b81502b248

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4500PSI-300bar-30mpa-Adjustable-auto-stop-function-Electric-double-Cylinder-air-compressor-for-PCP-air-tank/32831137727.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000014.28.3f5a2af4SoDylW&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.13338.112238.000000000000000&scm_id=1007.13338.112238.000000000000000&scm-url=1007.13338.112238.000000000000000&pvid=56a8f889-6d7a-4a43-b926-7194b30dbb0d

https://sale.aliexpress.com/__pc/buyerprotection-seller_guaranteed.htm?spm=2114.10010108.1000016.7.47495e68fUtxoi#2

They were few reports of defective units (NOT THESE but for the other cheaper Yong Heng types) where the seller just refunded the money in full to the buyers for defective items and told the buyer not to bother shipping them back... FYI...

They may be a viable alternative to the OMEGA which cost up to 4x as much...

THAT IS IF I WAS FORCED TO DO CHEAP...

I really wonder how much the Alpha and Omega Supercharger is marked up???

If I was FORCED to buy CHINESE then I want it as CHEAP as possible...

Same goes for Chinese scopes and airguns wonder how much markup they really have???

I found my favorite $399 Nova Freedom at Bud's Gunshop selling for $287 at their regular price a month ago.

It is now in the $320 price range and out of stock.

$29.76 Beeman P17 including Beeman red dot sight for another example... If you really think about it...

CA

For someone not wanting to spend anywhere near $2000, or $1200 perhaps for a compressor.... those certainly look like reasonable options to consider for relatively little outlay!

Reactions: sonny
There are quite a few people reporting good service from the Yong Heng and other related clones. Many have noted that they even work pretty well when topping off large tanks. It is all relative. If those type compressors work well for people then it is an even better value for them. Others swear by and use the Shoebox compressor. More than one way to get the job done acceptably for each individual. The problem seems to be that there is no longer term record for ANY of the cheaper (less expensive?) chinese made compressors so comparing the relative value seems pretty difficult. I bet there have even been unexpected failures of the best dive compressors but I also bet that is extremely rare. All relative to each person's wants, needs, and finances.