Which compressor and why?

I am assuming your some difference from a dive shop or just want the Independence or both. The authority on these in here is "Centercut" search and read all you can find on them here. I bought a twin Tuxing for $400.00. After numerous fixes and wrenching It seems fine now. To your question. I will at some point buy the Daystate , It is a necked down Coltri these are true dive compressors (producing breathable DRY air) and run about $8-1000.00 more. I spent many hours researching these things, The A-C seems to be a good unit as well, the issues you will read about them have little if anything to with the compressor itself. Oh and anther thing not to get hung up on (IMHO) is speed.

Example.........You have a 4500PSI tank and your gun tops off @3625PSI or 300bar. After 7-8 fills the tank won't top it off anymore (you still get more fills easy jut 5 bars less or so each time) Now your around 3650-3700 PSI in the tank. My Tuxing will top the tank off in about 18-20 minutes. This is fine for me. I don't need the tank topped of in 10 minutes. 

Enjoy the journey!

Dennis

Dive shop not convenient, cheap, or friendly. They have made it VERY clear that it is a headache for them to fill my tank and that they would be happy if I did not return to ask them to fill my tank. 

I want to buy the right compressor with the right support that will serve my needs. I’m too cheap to buy cheap compressors because I’m pretty sure I’ll be disappointed and wind up buying a better compressor. Might as well buy it right the first time IMHO. 

Scott

Hey Scott, you are asking some good questions here on compressors. Let me just say that I have owned and operated some commercial compressors over the years and I have found one thread that seems to run true on all these high pressure compressors. Sum it up however you want, "pay me now, or pay me later" , "quality cost, get out your wallet" , "you get what you pay for". etc. Second pun or phrase is "Heat kills!"

Why is it better to get a more expensive compressor? Pretty simple, compressors are a very unique system. They perform a very difficult and heat producing task. Taking ambient air and compressing it to 5000psi, requires alot of "work" as defined in physics and thermal dynamics, and this work as well as the compressed gas (see ideal gas laws) produces heat.

So right there we have the biggest hurdle we must overcome in compressing ambient air to 5000psi. Lots of "work" and lots of "heat". To break this task down so that we don't destroy our compressors, it is best to divide the work. Hence this is why say a 5 cylinder compressor is better than a 2 cylinder compressor. Each stage of compression is smaller thus the work is divided and also less heat is generated. 

So which compressor is best suited to your particular needs? You have to decide if you want long term reliability and maintainability....which cost a little more up front but you will get more hours out of your compressor, or do you only use your compressor once in a blue moon and only for 30 minutes or less (less heat stress)?

Personally I have found this to be true, once you get a compressor your lead consumption will go up!! For me it was an easy choice since I have had so much experience with HP commercial compressors, I went for the larger cost up front to get reliability, maintainability, and good quality air (this is a very important issue for another day). I went with the daystate 220 since it is truly a coltri compressor and they have been in the business (scuba and commercial) for many years. Just so you know, my compressor fills my 100cuft tank from 200bar to 330bar in about 7 minutes. My run time is nothing compared to some of the smaller compressors. This low cycle time also means less heat generated, less time running so less maintenance per year. My upfront cost is a little higher, but I must say it is nice. Oh did I mention my pellet bill has substantially increased due to the reliable air source? Good luck with your choice, hope this helps, again it is just my 2 cents, don't mean to down talk any of the smaller compressors, they have their niche.

I'm with @2d1c AND @fungun on this subject. I started off with a "Yong Heng" clone, which seized up after an hour's run time when I used the "suggested' ISO 40 hydraulic fluid... Next was the two cylinder Tuxing. I highly modified the compressor by adding my own cooling and filtrations systems. It ran great for about 8 hours run time, then started having problems with the electrical controller. Tuxing is/was very good on customer support here on AGN with @josoo. As I still work and am not retired, I didn't have the time to keep up with the maintenance and repairs (which aren't that tough if you're mechanically inclined). My good buddy Nick (@socaloldman) has it now and is keeping it running with help from Tuxing customer support. So, I ended up with the Daystate LC110. I didn't want or need a 220vac model, so the 110vac one was perfect for me. Its about 1/2 the speed of the Coltri/Daystate 220vac model, but topping off a 66 cubic foot tank from 3200 to 4500 psi in about 12 or 13 minutes is fine by me. 

Bottom line, just go with the Daystate LC110if you can afford it, you'll be glad you did...

I would recommend the Coltri for a little more for added piece of mind and CLEAN breathable air quality too.

Bear in mind the Omega and Alpha Carette are Chinese made and for that price it is pretty darn expensive when you really think about it.

If its a $200 Yong Heng then by all means... you could just toss into the trash when it fails... cheap enough to

buy a new one... Casual airgun off and on shooter not serious... fine...

I worry about the oils and other crap the others could possibly put into your gun. JMHO!

If you THINK you are going to stay in the airgun hobby for the long haul then TRY TO get the best one you can buy.

If you KNOW you are going to stay in the airgun hobby for the long haul then DEFINITELY get the best one you can buy.

If you want the ultimate and you can afford it then get the Bauer but they are starting at double the price...

Theya are the HOBART of HPA Compressors...

CA

I think thats the one selling for $600 direct from CHINA someone recently posted about and Hatsan and MRod Air also imports that one too.

Knowing that, you really don't want to know what I really think about it...

The Daystate is a rebranded economy model of the Coltri MCH6.

The air is so clean even the hospitals recommend it to out patients

with respratory ailments and THAT alone motivated me buy one because

my other option was to get a nitrogen tank set up which would be the

best possible set up for PCPs.

CA

The Coltri fills the tanks effortlessly so there is hardly any hours on the meter. When you use the Chinese ones, you have much effort

and stress and HEAT and FRICTION being put upon them and a good analogy is like this...

SCREAMING a 4 cylinder car peddal to the metal vs CRUSING a V8 just lightly tapping on the gas...

I think that would speak for itself...

CA

Think of it this way...

If you buy a Daystate/Coltri, you will probably spend more money on more pellets and big caliber PCPs

because by buying one of these compressors you literally got almost FREE GAS to go cruzing all over 

the place and will have no reason to leave your 4 cylinder cars parked or driven sparingly any more and you will

want to explore the V8s! Possibly the V12s!

CA

The Coltri fills the tanks effortlessly so there is hardly any hours on the meter. When you use the Chinese ones, you have much effort

and stress and HEAT and FRICTION being put upon them and a good analogy is like this...

SCREAMING a 4 cylinder car peddal to the metal vs CRUSING a V8 just lightly tapping on the gas...

I think that would speak for itself...

CA

Hahaha... as a V8 driver, I love my V8s! :)

So CA, you just about talked me into adding a Wildcat Mk I .177 and a Daystate compressor tonight. AoA would be thrilled with you! ;-)

(Must sell some long-neglected powder-burners to make that happen!!! I keep asking the guys at AoA if they will take powder burners on trade and they keep giving me the same discouraging answer.)

If I were business minded and had an itch to justify spending $2000.00 then I would hook up with paintball guys and other local airgunners and offer $10 fills providing their tanks are still within hydro to help recoup the cost. Or research filling those tiny CF paintball tank how much other shops charge and charge less. I would imagine breaking even in no time then getting paid a residual to own it.

CA

If I were business minded and had an itch to justify spending $2000.00 then I would hook up with paintball guys and other local airgunners and offer $10 fills providing their tanks are still within hydro to help recoup the cost. Or research filling those tiny CF paintball tank how much other shops charge and charge less. I would imagine breaking even in no time then getting paid a residual to own it.

CA

Smart idea for the enterprising person.

For me, I'll let go of some powder burners to ease the pain of the expense. It's just a PITA to sell guns.

Having to refill the air cylinders is always a good reason to visit AoA. ;-)

If I had a place that would reliably fill my tank local, I think that would be fine. Funny, not many scuba shops that are decent here in MN. 

Another consideration along with maintenance and repairs (which I really don’t want to mess with repairs) is safety. 4500psi is no joke - I want reliable air that I feel good about using in my home or garage. 

Omega vs Daystate(Coltri)...is it origin of manufacture, oil lube vs no oil, number of cylinders - what tips the scale for you one way or the other?

Great feedback so far - thank you!!

Scott