• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Which break barrels have seals which can handle dieseling for power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just reviewed a long discussion thread on the dangers of accidental dieseling damaging the seals in a break barrel. I'm a retired mechanical engineer and understand the technical issues involved. I wouldn't expect the metal parts on even a low power airgun to fail when induced dieseling using grease or oil behind a pellet might only double the power of a shot at most. The increased sharp pressure pulse of the small detonation might cause a distortion of internal parts on a poorly designed break barrel airgun with minimal overload margins. But it's not like having a system overload failure on an airgun with a full tank of CO2 or HPA air behind it.

The posts about dieseling induced failures specifically cited the piston seals. By the looks of the few pictures of damaged and blackened seals I've seen, they failed due to partial melting and eventual embrittlement from the heat of hydrocarbon detonations combined with the increased pressure of the pulse. Makes sense since vendors probably don't select seal material with the expectation that the seals would need to hold up to the heat and increased pressure of regular or induced dieseling for power increase. Nonetheless, some models of break barrel airguns probably already use a very tough seal material which can in fact hold up very well to much increased heat and pressure. This is the kind of thing which a general airgun repair shop tech who has worked on many different manufacturers' airguns might know about. All I can do it to experiment with my own airguns until something I do breaks them. And then I have collected one data point, plus a wealth of experience by trying to repair it on my own.

I am wondering if anyone who works on springers and gas piston rifles have noticed any models which look like they would hold up under intentional dieseling for power increases. 

Out of curiosity I recently chronied a couple dozen 18g diablo pellets out of a .22 break barrel pellet rifle. Then I filled the skirts to the top with Vaseline and chronied another dozen pellets. The average velocity increase went from 580f/s to 773f/s (13.6fpe to 24fpe), a power increase of ~75% per shot. The velocity per shot varied between about 750 and 800f/s (50fps) with the Vaseline, and between 566 and 596f/s (30fps) without. The gun still shots at the original power level after a couple of dry pellets cleared out a bit of residue from the dozen Vaseline loaded pellets just shot through it. 

A power increase up to 20fpe out of a low power <12fpe break barrel isn't a big deal here in the US where we don't have any 12fpe power limits. But it might be a very big deal to hunter with a 12fpe springer who might consider adding a dab of Vaseline to a pellet while loading it in order to have a 20fpe hunting shot.

When we used to talk about using Helium to increase power output of PCPs by 60+% on the old Yellow forum 30 years ago I would rarely ever see public comments about it from the 12fpe airgun folks in the UK. They noticed all right but didn't want to raise a lot of local attention about it. If I lived in a 12fpe area I wouldn't mind knowing which break barrel rifles had seals which would be likely to hold up to the occasional double-power diesel shot for hunting purposes. Or else where to get replacement piston seals with increased heat and pressure resistance.

Dieseling is the burning off of very small amounts of combustible lubricants, that have migrated past the piston seal, and into the compression chamber.

What you're looking at is intentional detonation. And,the answer is no.

The piston seal will not hold up to that kind of torture. Think of it as using a polymer piston ring in your car. It won't work.

Most piston seals will be fine under “modest” dieseling. But still could shorten the seal life. Ignition is a different story. Dieseling should be looked at as a warning. Like a “low oil” light it’s a “high oil” light. “Excessive oil in the chamber”. Get rid of it before something extreme happens. Remember, over oiling is easy and under oiling is nearly impossible.

Interesting topic, for sure.

Considering the pressures (and heat) involved, I'd explore adding some rings to the piston and deleting the seal altogether. Many weed whackers, chainsaws and other yard mainenance equipment have pistons of a similar size. Barrel leading would probably become an issue due to the higher velocities, but regular cleaning should take care of it.

Stay safe,

J~

If it’s very very occasional dieseling then one is probably oiling the pivot joints or jaws then standing the rifle up and the oil is finding its way into the chamber. This is a common mistake. Do not stand the rifle up on its butt pad (maybe a few days) until you are certain any runoff oil from the jaws has stopped. Putting the gun back in a warm safe also thins the oil inducing oil runoff. Cannot be to careful here.

Well, technically, dieseling turns your airgun into a firearm. I doubt anyone cares, but by the legal definition of a firearm. . . .

So far as dieseling goes, the guns just aren't designed for it. If you intend to use a touch of fuel while shooting, either plan on replacing seals regularly, consider the gun disposable, or both.

Maybe if you want more power, just go to a big box that sells break barrels and get one of those cheap magnum springers. that shoot 1200 or 1400 fps. While not the most accurate, will deliver more consistent and controlled power.

So you basically want a springer with "adjustable power levels"...lol. Considering the lowering cost of PCP's, you'd be better served researching the ones with power wheels to let you do just that.

Other option would be as already suggested and buy a cheap springer you can either toss or buy a bag of piston seals and get good at rebuilding it...lol.

Dieseling is the very minute of lube burning off that leaves a slight whisp of smoke in the barrel. This doesn’t change velocity all that much,or very little, and you don't get the "crack" making you think your airgun turned into a .22 rimfire. Detonation is different ! That's when a larger amount of lube ignites and the sound can remind you of a rimfire going off. That condition is harmful to a airgun.

The biggest problem with dieseling is the wide variation in velocity from shot to shot. In other words, your accuracy will go down the toilet. So yeah, you can do it, but if the accuracy sucks what's the point? 

Google "Barakuda EL54" to see a gun that was purpose built to use controlled dieseling via ether injection. No surprise to say that it was indeed fast, but an epic failure in pretty much every other way. Including getting pellets to hold together from the blast. And lets not forget that pellets are drag stabilized and generally shoot like crap once you strat breaking the sound barrier. 

But to answer your question, getting the seals to hold probably wouldn't be a big deal. An aluminum piston cap with a Viton oring seal would likely hold up fine. Or a cast iron piston ring like the FWB300 series used would also hold up fine. They don't diesel because the peak pressure doesn't get high enough, but that's another topic....

But the bigger problem that will be harder to overcome is that dieseling in large amounts can be hell on coil springs. A gas ram may solve this. 

So you could absolutely do it. But you'll end up with a gun that's miserable to shoot that you can't hit anything with. And personally, I just can't see the point in that. 

As a person that almost exclusively hunts with sub 12fpe spring guns, a 20fpe powered shot on demand is not going to gain me a thing. Especially when the accuracy or POI is going to be changed. 

With spring guns consistency is everything. EVERYTHING. 

It's pretty well understood that dieseling is the quickest way to ruin that. 

But to answer your main question, which I failed to do:

The HW80 would be your best bet IMO. They are a very inefficient powerplant to start with, but rather overbuilt. These two things make it the best candidate IMO. They have heavy wire springs, large diameter pistons with a lot of mass and large swept volume. All the things that make them inefficient and miserable to shoot in stock form may be just what you need for a dieseling setup. 

This topic is being locked. Please review the forum rules

1) Any Member sharing injury, violence, insults, slander, politics, racism, religion, unauthorized advertising, profanity, obscenity, illegal use, self-defense, unsafe operation or handling of an airgun, will have said content removed and be issued an administrative warning.

-AGN

Status
Not open for further replies.