• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Which air rifle should I get?

Hello,

I'm Tim from Maryland, a recent joiner to this great forum. I'm looking to get a .22 air rifle under $100 (preferably) to try out, and hunt small game with. I'm new to the air gun game, so I don't want to shell out too much on my first rifle. I'm currently deciding between the Chinese B3s that you see on Amazon ($55, but without scope), vs the Benjamin Prowler ($75 refurb + $15 shipping, includes scope). I'm stuck between the B3's supposed lack of quality control, vs the Benjamin's bad scope and slightly higher price. I'm on a tight budget, so I don't have too much to spend on a rifle, but I can spare the time to do some modding if necessary. Thanks.

Edit: After doing some reading, I'm extending my budget and am currently deciding between the XISICO Model XS46U vs a used RWS Diana 48/52, both in .22.

Benjamin has a solid name in the airgun hunting world: good power for small game or pests, reliable guns, good customer service. Don't let the scope stories scare you off, CenterPoint scopes are cheap but serviceable for first time airgunners. Might look for deals on this forum under Classifieds to save money, find a broken-in gun, a better gun/scope set-up, or all three. Worth a look.

ironlion is right. 

My honest opinion is save a little longer and get something a little better even if it is used like ironlion said. After many years of not shooting airguns i decided to get back into it. When I did, I bought a Benjamin legacy .177 springer. I wanted to buy American. This gun was so inaccurate and drove me so crazy I almost stopped with airguns again. But i did a little reading and got a RWS 34 and I was in for life. I know you have a tight budget but i would hate for you to be turned off and/or have to wait to buy a better gun anyway. Whatever you decide to do I wish you good luck and let us know what you decide to get.

If you are going to go with a D48 to use for hunting you should select a .22 because that power plant will give you just a bit more energy in .22 and the pellets are more efficient down range. Initial velocity might be less but BCs are higher, terminal energy will be higher. Practical accuracy in the field with a springer is limited by the actual ability of the rifle to hold a small enough group. If you find a springer that will hold a 1" group at 50 yards you have a keeper. Some will do better but MOST will not.

I have had my RWS 34 in 22 cal for over 10 years and I love it. It is extremely accurate. Not too heavy. Likes multiple pellets and has taken lots of critters, fur and feather. Did I mention how accurate it is? I don't think you can go wrong with it. Like the others said, heavy guns are not fun when carrying in the woods. Unless you hunt from a blind.

Tdrake, save a few more $'s then look really hard at an rws 34. Around $250 from PA with a discount code. Get it right the first time and bee done with it.cheap inaccurate airguns are no fun and a pain in the ass. Also consider quality pellets. Think jsb /h&n.. stay away from the big box store for you airgun supplies. Good luck and happy hunting.

"shambozzie"Tdrake, save a few more $'s then look really hard at an rws 34. Around $250 from PA with a discount code. Get it right the first time and bee done with it.cheap inaccurate airguns are no fun and a pain in the ass. Also consider quality pellets. Think jsb /h&n.. stay away from the big box store for you airgun supplies. Good luck and happy hunting.
Unfortunately, it looks like I'm stuck in the $150 budget mark for a rifle.

I'm thinking about either buying the XS 25 or the XS 25 SFB from Mike Melick. The SC 25 SFB comes with a basic tune, so I'm leaning that way. I'll upgrade when I get the money, but I just want something to start with. Which one is the better of the two?

Once you get bitten by this, you want to get them all. I'm still working on it. Seriously, I've had a lot of springers, both cheap and great. For hunting, the best in my estimation is the Beeman R9 or equivalent HW95. These guns you can keep for a lifetime. May be a little more money now, but if you buy a cheap gun now, chances are, you'll want a better one later.

I got my Hatsan Striker 1000x .22 on sale for 96 bucks with Optima 3-9x32scope. I had enough money to go to Amazon for a Hammers 3-9x32AO mildot scope for it as well. The strikers can be had for 93-125 bucks typically. Just look around for the best price. It's the spring version, but is well balanced and accurate. Even my Benjamin Trail NP XL725 .25cal has no more velocity than the striker 1000x. I bought the 1000x because I like a wood stock. The 1000s has the black -plastic stock. Now, Crosman has the Optimus .22 with the same power range as the Striker 1000, but is about 1.5lbs lighter. Comes with Centerpoint 4x32 scope. About the same price, sales prices about the same or lower than the Hatsan. I kept it and swapped in a Winchester 3-9x32 scope off my 1400cs and gave it to my son for his birthday. 
​Hatsan Striker 1000x/Hammers 3-9x32AO mildot
f7785c5133349c1d54ba9ed56ef4a6b4.jpg

​Crosman Optimus .22/Winchester 3-9x32 on UTG highmount
60815a4d1ee3019893bbe5a5b462ec7b.jpg