I have been looking for an ultimate .177 (per my standards).

Pinpoint accuracy at 60 yds. and in, HIGH shot count, and fit and finish in that "pride of ownership" kind of way. I am not a function before form kind of guy. I have to like to look at it as well as use it. I have right now at the top of the list a Mk II Impact vs. a Uragan, no compacts. What might sway me one way or the other? or to something else? There doesn't seem to be a lot of .177 fans on this forum, and I'm talking about pellets , not slugs!

Thanks for any input!

Kelly

Since no budget mentioned, Daystate LPR. 

I've shot Lauren's and it's incredible. I think I remember her telling me her 3power levels are something like 10, 11, and 12 fpe but I think I'd want mine @ 12, 20, and 30-34fpe. Would cover all weights of pellet available and all the potential uses of a .177. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but most could stand to look at that one. 😀

For cheaper yet still pleasing to the eye and focused on performance.....RAW. 

I'm with Rob_g. I have a redwolf in ,177 (normal power) and it does all you mention out to 50 yards. If you want that extra umph to get you to 60 yards, perhaps you would benefit from the HP version. I mostly shoot at the lowest setting, about 13 FPE, for my backyard target shooting. It is very quiet and I have well over 30,000 shots through it. I have the Gen 1 GCU. A friend has the updated GCU2 that has a few more bells and whistles... I also have a .177 Regal Huntsman (regulated) and a FX M3 in .177. I like them all but if I could only keep one, it would be the Redwolf.

I own a impact-x, upgraded with a powerplenum, which make it 95% a mk2. It is a nice gun, but might be a litle challenging to tune with light weight pellets. Tried to tune mine for 8 grains, but went back to 10 grain, as it seem a lilte hard to "tame" . Do not think the big powerplenum is nescesarry for .177, as that caliber use litle air. Do not know how the M3 is, but since you do not plan to shoot slugs, I believe some of features on the impact is not needed if you plan to use it for .177 only. It has bigger valve, and plenum, than most .177 gun, and probably more suited for higher power, or bigger caliber setups. In my opinion the impact also needs some after market accesory, if you plan to use it for bench shooting. I added a bagrider on mine, as it is not suited for resting on a bag in stock form. Also a extended rail, or bottle rail adapter is preferable, if you plan to use a bipod. 

You did mention the uragan. I do not know about that gun, but I have a AGT vulcan 2 tactical which is made by the same manufacturer. When I only adjusted the hammer spring tension down a litle, it is as accurate as my impact, even at 60 yards. The regpressure on it seemed to be setup perfect for a 10 grain JSB pellet, from factory. It will probably not be as powerfull as the impact, but it is in my opinion not needed for pellets. It is also easy to shoot on a bench, as it is a litle longer than the most bullpups. It was a litle loud for my liking with the stock shroud, so I removed it, and got an adapter, and added a moderator directly to the barrel, which made it quiet, and not any longer. My experiance with AGT has been positive, and since you do not want a compact gun, a tactical vulcan might be a good option. It is not as long as a rifle, but feels like one when handling it. It doeas not have a bottle, but the tube is in my opinion big enough for .177 and gives plenty of shots.

I can not speak of the daystates as I do not own one, but I must admit if money is no issue, the deltawolf seems tempting to me personally. It seems to have all the tunability, and as far as I know are setup good from factory. 

If you are not a tuner, it is important the gun is setup good from factory/dealer, as othervise you might not be satisfied when you get the gun. Some guns might need some accesories, like another moderator/adapter, or a rail, if you plan to use it for bench. And some might need adjustements on the trigger before you get it where you like it. 

You see ALOT of Field Target shooters using Steyer Model 110. They chose this rifle because they want to win!

I own one and it's incredible accurate. Gary Cane also offers wood bits for grip and cheek and forearm. I made my own from curly Maple

I had a Steyr Challenge Hunting model, which I think is the successor to the 110. It is a very excellent rifle, and I would like to own another. Mine was the full length model, and with no noise suppression, the addition of a silencer it made it very long. I would like to have a Challenge HFT Hunting model, which has a shorter barrel that would better accommodate a silencer. The OP should be aware, these are single shot rifles focused on FT and, regardless of the designation, they are not rifles I would consider well suited for field use. 

Since no budget mentioned, Daystate LPR. 

I've shot Lauren's and it's incredible. I think I remember her telling me her 3power levels are something like 10, 11, and 12 fpe but I think I'd want mine @ 12, 20, and 30-34fpe. Would cover all weights of pellet available and all the potential uses of a .177. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but most could stand to look at that one.
1f600.svg

For cheaper yet still pleasing to the eye and focused on performance.....RAW.

For my purposes, Lauren's power levels would be just about right. However, the $$$$ simply isn't. (heavy sigh)

Air Arms, RAW, Daystate, FX - you really can't go wrong with any of them. Although if I were to pick FX, I would go with a Crown since I've heard that the Impact is quirky in .177 but I don't have much experience with them.

All of these top shelf manufacturers will be accurate to 60 yards, no question. They all have their benefits/costs so a lot of it is personal preference.

I'm very partial to Air Arms. The S500 is a bulletproof design and is remarkably stable. When I traveled to RMAC (Utah from NY), the 3600' elevation change only caused my S510 to shoot 10fps faster whereas it seemed other shooters had to retune their rifles. It's a good thing I didn't need to adjust the Air Arms, since they're really difficult to tune. In terms of shot count, my .22 S500 XS FAC gets 55-60 shots so the .177 should get around 70-75 if I had to guess.

It seems to me the bottom line is this:

The Daystate shooters will say DAYSTATE, the FX shooters will say FX, Air Arms shooters will say Air Arms, etc.

In my humble opinion, the most effective strategy is to pick any quality design from a quality manufacture and practice.

This is the golden age of airgunner. So much incredible tech out there. Good luck on your search. I miss those days.

Nico

Since high shot count appears to be a priority, I'll mention one other rifle. I'm not a fan of FX rifles in general, with the exception of the original Royale platform. It's simple, accurate, easy to tune, and being a bottle gun, great shot count. It uses the original solid, smooth twist barrel, NOT a liner/sleeve design, and it virtually never needs cleaning. I own one, and it shoots as well as my HW100 and Revere. I believe a Royale 400 would suit your needs very well. The down side, they are hard to find, and rarely do I see a used one for sale. It might need to be special ordered. Since FX has focused on all the gadgetry found in their newer rifles, the old Royale doesn't get much attention. Nor does it need much. If you call their service folks in NC, I can almost guarantee they won't remember having one returned for a mechanical problem. Mine has shot a lot of 50 yard groups of under half inch.