Where to shoot for Newbies

Depends on where you live. I shoot out to 100 yds on my property but I can legally shoot firearms on my property. Its legal to shoot and hunt anywhere on national forest except for areas with special regulations like around administrative sites. There will be a sign posted saying no shooting within .5 mile or whatever due to being near an administrative site. Same with BLM land. county and city laws can vary allot so you have to check your local laws and see whats acceptable.

On firearm forums I hear talk of BLM land etc. With airguns, can you shoot them on any open land or a large enough backyard? Or does it have to be a range? where did you start your shooting?
Overall, it really comes down to city laws. Even if its legal, one should still always follow the 4 firearm rules and follow common sense. (I know, not firearms, but should still be treated as such from a safety aspect).

Then there is also the hassle aspect. Are you going to be bothering your neighbors with the constant hitting of steel? Are your neighbors going to be calling the police because you have, what looks like, a firearm and shooting it? Even if its legal, it might not be worth the hassle and/or courtesy.

As for what I'm limited to... I have city laws that prevent me from shooting pellet, bb, firearms, and arrows, so its either a range, another city (friends place), or BLM land.