• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Where to buy 50 cal Alloy slugs

Yes there is only one option. Leigh Defense .510 Airgun all copper CNC machine slug..has four petals that break off in cavity and base makes full pass through... 250 grains...only negative is cost $130.00 for 50 slugs I think. So Either Lead or a all copper slug is are realistic airgun options.. Hope this helps

I cast a few pellets in tin. Today, I poured tin .25 caliber wadcutters (!), why? Why not! I've found casting tin or pewter to be reasonably safe and easy. You'll need the mold and handles, a heated pot (eg, Lee 4#), a pressure pour ladle if it is not a bottom pour pot, something for flux (wax is good), an old spoon, a rag and... oh right, the tin or pewter. Figure a hundred $ for the mold and another for the rest of the stuff, $200. You'd pay it off in what, 200-300 shots?

That said, I don't know of a lead free metal that will expand like lead, so you might not enjoy the hollow-point experience. How about a regular lead free slug?

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
I have never poured pure Tin. But because it is added to Lead to help better fill molds, I think it might be worth a try. Not sure if any other members here have tried but it might be worth it to wait until someone more experienced chimes in.
Curious what is driving you to make Lead free slugs?
Californias lead free regs along with other states. As it stands right now, big bore hunting in California is risky. Get caught hunting with lead is not an option. Which also restricts the sport of airgun hunting and its growth. There are also other states that have lead free regulation. Granted these regulations are based on firearms, how ever a warden is likely to care about anything other than hunting with lead. Being a airgun it’s likely not going to help.

Yes there is only one option. Leigh Defense .510 Airgun all copper CNC machine slug..has four petals that break off in cavity and base makes full pass through... 250 grains...only negative is cost $130.00 for 50 slugs I think. So Either Lead or a all copper slug is are realistic airgun options.. Hope this helps
Whaaat is this? Lehigh defense "500-caliber-240-grain-controlled-fracturing-bullets-50-count.html" if one wants to search. Thank you sir, this is very interesting! They have a thin skirt to seal the low pressure airgun bore, and yes, a "petal" design to increase the effective caliber on impact.
So for unleaded, it is either this Lehigh or casting one's own, and then not such a cool design. Maybe NOE or another mold maker has some opportunity here. It wouldn't even have to be a 4-petal design, even a 2-petal might work, and work well from a split-mold, or a tumbling design.

myfalconry, yeah, I wouldn't want to argue that a .500 lead slug doesn't fall under the lead ban because it is shot from an airgun. Even worse than a ban is being the guy who triggers closing a "loophole". Better to fit right in with the other big bore non-lead hunters and take the heat off the .177 and .22 plinkers and pest shooters. And history favors those who take the initiative! Don't look at this as restricting growth, but as an opportunity to grow in new directions!

I cast a few pellets in tin. Today, I poured tin .25 caliber wadcutters (!), why? Why not! I've found casting tin or pewter to be reasonably safe and easy. You'll need the mold and handles, a heated pot (eg, Lee 4#), a pressure pour ladle if it is not a bottom pour pot, something for flux (wax is good), an old spoon, a rag and... oh right, the tin or pewter. Figure a hundred $ for the mold and another for the rest of the stuff, $200. You'd pay it off in what, 200-300 shots?

That said, I don't know of a lead free metal that will expand like lead, so you might not enjoy the hollow-point experience. How about a regular lead

Whaaat is this? Lehigh defense "500-caliber-240-grain-controlled-fracturing-bullets-50-count.html" if one wants to search. Thank you sir, this is very interesting! They have a thin skirt to seal the low pressure airgun bore, and yes, a "petal" design to increase the effective caliber on impact.
So for unleaded, it is either this Lehigh or casting one's own, and then not such a cool design. Maybe NOE or another mold maker has some opportunity here. It wouldn't even have to be a 4-petal design, even a 2-petal might work, and work well from a split-mold, or a tumbling design.

myfalconry, yeah, I wouldn't want to argue that a .500 lead slug doesn't fall under the lead ban because it is shot from an airgun. Even worse than a ban is being the guy who triggers closing a "loophole". Better to fit right in with the other big bore non-lead hunters and take the heat off the .177 and .22 plinkers and pest shooters. And history favors those who take the initiative! Don't look at this as restricting growth, but as an opportunity to grow in new directions!
I’m not real fond of the copper idea. There’s good quality lead free pellets so the alloy to use is already there. I shoot h&n barracuda green lead free 25cal They expand and blast the trap out of small to midsize game. So it could be done.

Californias lead free regs along with other states. As it stands right now, big bore hunting in California is risky. Get caught hunting with lead is not an option. Which also restricts the sport of airgun hunting and its growth. There are also other states that have lead free regulation. Granted these regulations are based on firearms, how ever a warden is likely to care about anything other than hunting with lead. Being a airgun it’s likely not going to help.
@myfalconry Reference posts #5 & 7 in the following thread https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/quail-gets-flat-top.1301238/#post-1612516
I think you're mistaken as I was recently.