Where oh Where

Taking this opportunity to shout out Mohegan Sportsman in Mohegan Lake, NY. Authorized FX dealer. I stopped in and bought my Panthera 700 .22 in person and Wes was great to work with. He held one of the first rifles he received for me via email and didn't know me at all. Great guy to talk to and buy from, if you're anywhere within 100 miles of the NYC area I definitely recommend this shop if you want a nice oldschool face to face buying experience. (I try to shop local whenever possible)

What little sniffing around I have done so far, funny with my gunpowder guns I like wood, but for these air guns, for some reason I am liking the plastic or carbon or whatever material they are, over wood - don't know why, but that is what's tripping my trigger.

So, with that being said - I see three different deals that stand out
  1. a big air bottle up front
  2. a big air bottle to the rear
  3. a long skinny bottle that compliments the barrel
Am I seeing that right? And with no experience - how do I know anything?

Reactions: HogKiller
Did a little searching-these folks are in the Dallas area, don't know if they have a showroom. https://ftairguns.com/

What type of shooting do you see yourself doing? Hunting, pest control, long range target, Benchrest all require different types of equipment.

A nice all-around first gun that needs no tank or compressor would be a quality break-barrel like a Weirauch HW30 or Hw50. They come with iron sights, add pellets and go!

PCP guns are a hoot but require support equipment (tank, pump, compressor)

You might watch this video about the different types of airguns from AOA's website -

Did a little searching-these folks are in the Dallas area, don't know if they have a showroom. https://ftairguns.com/

What type of shooting do you see yourself doing? Hunting, pest control, long range target, Benchrest all require different types of equipment.

A nice all-around first gun that needs no tank or compressor would be a quality break-barrel like a Weirauch HW30 or Hw50. They come with iron sights, add pellets and go!

PCP guns are a hoot but require support equipment (tank, pump, compressor)

You might watch this video about the different types of airguns from AOA's website -
I think mostly hunting - I'd like to use it for some plinking/target practice, but doing that to keep my skills up for critter kill'n

Airgun brick and mortars ain’t like PB brick and mortars. If your local gun stores carry any air guns they’re going to be Gamo’s or Crosman’s. Nothing against those but they’re in a completely different category.
There is nothing near me. Although Pyramyd Air is 20 minutes away, they just have a pick up only counter, no showroom.
I scour the web for info, check specs, watch reviews, peruse AGN and take a chance on my pick. Hopefully it’s all I thought it would be, because if it isn’t I’m going to lose 25 to 30 percent selling it, even if I don’t fire it.
Do your research or plan a vacation near UA or AoA. Then, if you didn’t drive there, hope the idiot in airline baggage
doesn’t beat the livin’ snot out of the gun case. Me, I’d plan a road trip if touchy feely is the only option.
Pyramyd still have their "garage sale" at the end of May?

What little sniffing around I have done so far, funny with my gunpowder guns I like wood, but for these air guns, for some reason I am liking the plastic or carbon or whatever material they are, over wood - don't know why, but that is what's tripping my trigger.

You have it pretty much correct as far as the PCP guns are configured. If you want traditional wood, look at the Daystate Huntsman Revere. They're simple, accurate, light to carry and comfortable to shoot.
1674922011017.png

If you want to keep it even more simple with a Spring-piston gun, the HW95/Beeman R9 is a great balance of power and weight. The spring piston guns take some practice to shoot well, but don't need any support equipment. I use mine for hunting out to 30-40 yards. Further out I reach for a PCP.
1674922215306.png

Taking this opportunity to shout out Mohegan Sportsman in Mohegan Lake, NY. Authorized FX dealer. I stopped in and bought my Panthera 700 .22 in person and Wes was great to work with. He held one of the first rifles he received for me via email and didn't know me at all. Great guy to talk to and buy from, if you're anywhere within 100 miles of the NYC area I definitely recommend this shop if you want a nice oldschool face to face buying experience. (I try to shop local whenever possible)
Thanks for this recommendation. I had never heard of them and only about 30-40 minutes away from me. I'll try to check them out at some point and give them some business.

Reactions: Cousin Vinny
You have it pretty much correct as far as the PCP guns are configured. If you want traditional wood, look at the Daystate Huntsman Revere. They're simple, accurate, light to carry and comfortable to shoot.
View attachment 327294
If you want to keep it even more simple with a Spring-piston gun, the HW95/Beeman R9 is a great balance of power and weight. The spring piston guns take some practice to shoot well, but don't need any support equipment. I use mine for hunting out to 30-40 yards. Further out I reach for a PCP.
View attachment 327295
Now those two are some good-looking rifles - maybe I do like wood.

Yep, that's the sum of it, you need that expensive compressed air with you. One more thing is to shoot tethered, works for being stationary. If all you are planning on is stationary then weight isn't an issue, if you're planning on humping the boonies then it becomes an issue...FAST. I started with a Daisy 717 air pistol, went to a Remington Nitro Break barrel...fun experience for learning, hint, use heavy pellets, then on to a Zbroia Sapsan, had a regulator issue the same time that Putin invaded Ukraine, as I sent it back for repair. Got an itchy trigger finger and our beloved ID10T gov in CA made it harder to get ammo so did some research and settled on a FX Maverick, then another, yeah I like them. Finally the dealer that was holding my Sapsan decided to do the right thing and send me a new one...a YEAR later. The Sapan is lighter than my Mavericks and is crazy quiet and accurate. I finally figured out why, it's got a tensioned barrel and built in moderator, toss on one more mod and the hammer is the loudest thing you hear.

So bottom line, numbers are for reference only

$1,400+ airgun
$500++ scope
FX Chronograph $200, and a bunch of batteries but mine does't chew them up, too badly. Some folks have modded them for a rechargeable battery pack.
Extra mags either factory or after market $100
Pellets, $200, need to find the golden pellet.
Compressor, unless you have a dive shop close by and I'm guessing that they are few and far between in OK, or have an in at the local FD. $1,400 if you want something you don't have to fuss with too much.
Bipod, $100 ++

Then whatever else strikes your fancy as you fall down the Rabbit Hole®

You are doing the right thing, asking questions. When I started I didn't know a darn thing and proudly can say I still don't but the people here are very knowledgable and good folk. Use the search function, then dig.

Reactions: Nowthis
I live in Michigan and there's nothing close to me now. Precision Airguns and Supplies was an hour drive from me but they closed the doors. Man I sure miss Jim and Nancy, not to mention their store. High Pressure Pneumatics is about 2 and a half hours away.
I know what you mean! I bought my first Huntsman from Jim. Used to drive up there for pellets or a rifle or maybe check out the used rifles.

Now those two are some good-looking rifles - maybe I do like wood.
Nowthis.
I was exactly where you are now, just a month or two ago. I found this forum and these people and they made what seemed an impossible choice much easier. Like you, I really wanted the all-important tactile experience first and foremost. That is just how I like to purchase things. ie old guy.
I took their advices. Identified my needs, my likes and dislikes, and my budget.
In no time at all I had purchased a Daystate Huntsman Revere, (the top gun pictured above by Johnl57). I got it from Airguns of Arizona (AOA).
The "we the plinkers" package came with scope, mounted and sighted in, gun case and cool t-shirt, about 1250.00 total.
Absolutely love the weapon. Have since purchase a compressor and tank. Ready to go hunting.
Almost without exception everyone here has been supportive and helpful. Don't be afraid to ask dumb, noobie questions. No one will jump on you for just asking, no matter how many times they may have already answered the same questions from someone else.

enjoy your journey.

Doc

You don’t want to live near a store. I just got back from visiting one which drive I drive by weekly. Today I got off real easy only spent $210. Gets worse got my eye on a Diana 340 now. Vicious circle. Bet I didn’t miss 10 weeks in the last two years. Crow

You ain't wrong. If I still lived 15 minutes from Utah Airguns, I'd be living on the streets, but I'd have a lot of cool airguns!

Reactions: Mike_Lenardon
I went to a show a few years back. In Colunbus,Ohio. I was able to hold the TX PRO (felt heavy). Some Hawke scopes. Some antiques. Some of that 3D printing(like magazines,single shot trays and what-not. And a alot I don't know what was in front of me. I went,,,I learned,,at least alittle. Set that day aside and go. U won't regret it